Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmill007
Last time it was a hot breakfast pre-arrival.

I’d assume that’s the option with the highest acceptance rate, though I recall the people in front and beside me both slept through. It’s such an awkward route for signature on the redeye.
Totally agree. The flight time is too short to get enough sleep. I also flew from YYC twice which was even worse with less than 4 hour flight time.

AC changed the schedule this year to make my connection time to US destinations unrealistic so thankfully I can final do away with this flight.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
On the red eye subject, I don't mind it either way (cold on takeoff or hot breakfast on landing). I really don't need either as I should be asleep!

Still, I miss the cold salmon plate and wonderful chocolate (cake/mousse?) dessert with a DRAMBUIE (for emphasis for what has been lost) and a coffee to put me to sleep (works for me).

Leave at midnight via YYZ, get to Ottawa for a most of the day meeting then head back home to YYC and be there by midnight. What a way to spend 24 hours!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Bartolo
What is the meal on the red-eye from YVR to YYZ? Looks like breakfast when I review the onboard info on AC website but that seems odd.
All redeye transcontinental on Air Canada features a hot breakfast prior to arrival. As of this point, I just gave AC credits for maintaining a meal service on all overnight transcontinental flights in first/business.

Carfield
unclepants likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Thank you for your explanation. There never is a perfect solution. I can see how this would be a difficult decision for AC.
I'm surprised a full meal is still maintained on board. Just picked up an aircraft that turned from the SFO red-eye 787. Opened the ovens and appeared that next to no hot meals were consumed. Think the best option would be a fruit and cheese platter which could be consumed anytime. After take-off, in-between, or prior to landing. Refusals would still be 75%.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I'm surprised a full meal is still maintained on board. Just picked up an aircraft that turned from the SFO red-eye 787. Opened the ovens and appeared that next to no hot meals were consumed. Think the best option would be a fruit and cheese platter which could be consumed anytime. After take-off, in-between, or prior to landing. Refusals would still be 75%.
What is the SOP for meal serving time of the breakfast on NA red-eyes? How many minutes before landing
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Usually begins about 75 minutes before landing.

Last time they woke us up like 1h45 before landing and began serving like 30 minutes later. Was not at all pleased.

Last edited by cmill007; Jan 16, 2023 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
[QUOTE=caziz;34929720]What is the SOP for meal serving time of the breakfast on NA red-eyes? How many minutes before landing[/QUOTE

Generally 1:15 - subject to change by a few minutes depending on aircraft type and flying conditions.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
My last YVR-YYZ redeye a few months back, I was shocked that 3/4 of the cabin on this 789 opted to have breakfast. I opted to skip but was woken up anyway...
Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
They have tried every conceivable combination on red-eyes since I've been here. Hot dinner after take off, cold plate after take off, cold plate before landing, breakfast. I even recall sushi platters being served out of LAX/SFO.

The priority is sleep and the refusal/waste factor is always exceedingly high. No perfect solution.

Seems to me if AC could find a way to let pax pre-order their meal, or decline one, it would go along way to meeting needs of both pax and the airline. Not a perfect solution but a big improvement. Everyone’s needs are different and pax can be coming from anywhere if connecting.

Had a SQ flight that offered “book the cook”. Flight left SIN about 9:30 am. They were serving breakfast but I pre-ordered a salad. Worked really well for all concerned.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:31 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Back in 2016 I flew a couple of LAX-YYZ redeyes and I recall both dinner and breakfast service were available, with a choice of either not both.

Edit: Just went through old menus and I remembered it wrong. They were only serving breakfast options BUT it was available anytime including after take off... so one could have parsley omelette and chicken sausage for dinner... or something like that.

Last edited by Far Siren; Jan 16, 2023 at 5:40 pm
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If they had two meals, they'd be clearing the dessert plates and putting out breakfast at the same time 😂
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by SilverChris
My last YVR-YYZ redeye a few months back, I was shocked that 3/4 of the cabin on this 789 opted to have breakfast. I opted to skip but was woken up anyway...
I find it hard to sleep through the clinking of cutlery and porcelain, plus the smell of the food.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I find it hard to sleep through the clinking of cutlery and porcelain, plus the smell of the food.
My solution: if a gulp of booze cannot do it, just have another gulp.

But seriously, I will rather do a connection via YLW/YYJ/YXE/YQR/YWG than take one more red eye in signature.
Bohemian1 and JayTakesOff like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Do ear plugs + eye mask not help for you? I find poppin' some melatonin does the trick.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I know this is the North America thread but

Mildly infuriating that crews can serve a 5-course meal plus 2 drinks in under one hour when passengers crew want to rest
They took 50min from gate pushback time, or 5.6% of the time of this current DXB-YYZ flight.

Signature Service (even redeye) in North America often takes 50% of the flight time Eastbound.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.