Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Nice summer J sale to Europe and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice summer J sale to Europe and beyond

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 5:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by etkuo
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
To BCN I found the flights operating in September to be A333 via YUL. Does this aircraft has the new business class seat of the old one?
They haven't flown the old cabins (ex-SQ and also the XM Cabin) for awhile. The booking system also shows the new cabin for the YUL-BCN flights, so I'd say it should be pretty safe to get the new J seats in September if the flights do go.
@etkuo, do you have any intel on the reconfiguration process? Planespotters suggests only 3 have been reconfigured with the new J cabin (8 in the old AC config, 6 in cargo-only; old SQ layouts all gone). With AC planning a fairly healthy schedule for the summer/fall time period, it seems like it might be risky to rely on getting one of the reconfigured ones, especially since BCN has historically been a route route - if they're going to send the old config anywhere that seems like the type of destination that might be a good fit.

So if I were @NA-Flyer, I wouldn't count on having the refurbished cabin. It might happen, but given what a crapshoot anything on the schedule is that far out..........

(Unless there's more info that we don't currently in have, in which case I'd suggest continuing that discussion over in the 333 refurbishment thread)
Old May 24, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@etkuo, do you have any intel on the reconfiguration process? Planespotters suggests only 3 have been reconfigured with the new J cabin (8 in the old AC config, 6 in cargo-only; old SQ layouts all gone). With AC planning a fairly healthy schedule for the summer/fall time period, it seems like it might be risky to rely on getting one of the reconfigured ones, especially since BCN has historically been a route route - if they're going to send the old config anywhere that seems like the type of destination that might be a good fit.

So if I were @NA-Flyer, I wouldn't count on having the refurbished cabin. It might happen, but given what a crapshoot anything on the schedule is that far out..........

(Unless there's more info that we don't currently in have, in which case I'd suggest continuing that discussion over in the 333 refurbishment thread)
No new updates, so I will stay on this thread for the reply.

Planespotters info seems up-to-date. There are several fins in RFD right now, not too sure whether they also do the cabin reconfiguration there but I seems to recall last time when one fin exited RFD it was converted to the DreamCabin.

The other reason why I thought NA-Flyer is safe to see the new cabin is AC seems to be selling the route with the new cabin config (based on seat count and also the seat map preview on the booking site). When the DreamCabin was first introduced, AC would only sell the route (and number of J seats) with the XM config until the day of before switching it to the DreamCabin.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by etkuo
No new updates, so I will stay on this thread for the reply.

Planespotters info seems up-to-date. There are several fins in RFD right now, not too sure whether they also do the cabin reconfiguration there but I seems to recall last time when one fin exited RFD it was converted to the DreamCabin.

The other reason why I thought NA-Flyer is safe to see the new cabin is AC seems to be selling the route with the new cabin config (based on seat count and also the seat map preview on the booking site). When the DreamCabin was first introduced, AC would only sell the route (and number of J seats) with the XM config until the day of before switching it to the DreamCabin.
Don't want to take this further off topic but I believe FIN 939 was refurbished in RFD and is in passenger configuration not cargo (it just flew AC833). Planespotters is out of date on this one I reckon. I would wager all the other FINs in RFD will come out in the new configuration.
etkuo likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
To BCN I found the flights operating in September to be A333 via YUL. Does this aircraft has the new business class seat of the old one?
Well I took the plunge and booked YYZ-MUC-BCN-ZRH-YYZ Aug 25-29 for $1,920 after getting my AC for Business discount.

Hopefully the Whisky Bar will be open at the ZRH lounge but I'm not holding my breath on seeing the Signature Suite in YYZ.
NA-Flyer and Flying Machine like this.

Last edited by The Lev; May 25, 2021 at 6:19 pm
Old May 24, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Did this deal die at midnight GMT? I figured I had until midnight Eastern, but everything I'm seeing is $3K+ now.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I thought it was until the 26th? Maybe the fare bucket has sold out? I'm still seeing LHR for $2100
Old May 24, 2021, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I thought it was until the 26th? Maybe the fare bucket has sold out? I'm still seeing LHR for $2100
No, it was always the 24th.

LHR does still seem to be cheap, and AMS is a bit cheap as well, but this was broadly available around the continent, and now seems confined to only a couple of destinations. Italy, for example, all over $3K, MUC, VIE... all the places I was interested in going So it's definitely not fare buckets.

I wonder whether LHR has anything to do with the fact BA is still selling this stuff cheap.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:30 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Is it unusual that these fares (and also some EU B fares) are not not showing in EF?
Old May 24, 2021, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Is it unusual that these fares (and also some EU B fares) are not not showing in EF?
No. As discussed recently in this thread: Discount Code Error (?)
Old May 25, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
I am a Canadian based in UK and purchased a Latitude fare incredibly cheap for $1,107 (thought it was an error fare tbh) round trip LHR to YYZ departing June 26th. I just tried to change the outbound leg to the following day but am presented with an error saying there are no flights. I then tried numerous alternative days and was still presented with the same error. Anyone have any insight as to what may be going on? I can always cancel for a full refund.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did this deal die at midnight GMT? I figured I had until midnight Eastern, but everything I'm seeing is $3K+ now.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
No, it was always the 24th.
BCN and DXB are still cheap, so it appears to still be on (at least for some destinations)
Old May 25, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
BCN and DXB are still cheap, so it appears to still be on (at least for some destinations)
I had ruled out DXB (which I've never been to and do want to visit) when I saw the average temperatures are basically around 40 for the entire period of the sale. January looks like a much more interesting time to visit, to me.

This sale was a tough one for me as Alberta Health Services is basically still telling employees not to book international travel and has its own 14-day quarantine policy before return to work, i.e. even when the Alberta 3-day quarantine pilot was running, AHS staff weren't allowed to go back to work until 14 days after they had returned from their travels. The scuttlebutt is that policy won't be lifted until end of this year; even if it is, it's likely sometime in Q4 when most people have had their 2nd shots. My wife doesn't want to take 2 weeks of vacation just to cover quarantine, on top of whatever vacation days are needed for the trip itself, so that meant that we were likely to end up cancelling whatever I booked under this promo anyway.

But that's why I both dithered until the last minute to book something and am not all that sad that I missed out.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had ruled out DXB (which I've never been to and do want to visit) when I saw the average temperatures are basically around 40 for the entire period of the sale. January looks like a much more interesting time to visit, to me.
I ruled out DXB for that reason (as well as spending 13 hours masked on a plane with limited service isn't all that much fun).

I figure I'm 50/50 on whether I actually go to BCN, but am holding out some hope that I'll have both shots and Canada will have relaxed the dangerous Hotel Jail requirement by the time I fly (I have been almost entirely working from home for 15 months, so quarantine is no big deal)). If I don't go, I'll just use the credit for something else next year.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC MM
There are quite a few flights from YVR with LH codeshare to European destinations. Has anyone had experience with selecting seats when booking AC flight numbers on LH metal?
From past experience, especially LX I wasn't able to pre-reserve seats when booked via the AC website and I got 'good' seats only at the departure airport, in this case during stop-over in YUL. Didn't worry so much at that time since it was last year in September and no-one was flying but as things are picking up again, I would want to make sure I can get reasonable seats especially in Business.

I am also looking at DXB which is still available at around CAD 1,480 ONE WAY (not planning to buy return until Canada eliminates the hotel quarantine on arrival ) in Business on AC as well as LH.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
There are quite a few flights from YVR with LH codeshare to European destinations. Has anyone had experience with selecting seats when booking AC flight numbers on LH metal?
From past experience, especially LX I wasn't able to pre-reserve seats when booked via the AC website and I got 'good' seats only at the departure airport, in this case during stop-over in YUL. Didn't worry so much at that time since it was last year in September and no-one was flying but as things are picking up again, I would want to make sure I can get reasonable seats especially in Business......
Is there anything in this thread that might help you?

Seat Assigned on Lufthansa Code Share (but on AC flight)

(I noticed a number of other threads with AC LH codeshare seat questions, but they all pre-date the AC move to Amadeus)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.