Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 2 Pets per passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by CDN_BOBCAT
Jeff, this should not be a big problem, pre-covid a number of Cat Shows were held every weekend throughout North America with many of the exhibitors flying to the shows with their cats. Many exhibitors use carry-on bags with a zippered divider in the middle to separate the cats. https://sturdiproducts.com/collectio...-divided-large .

Yes you may need to take both cats out at screening, the screeners have no idea of the requirements of your airline.........or do they care. BTW if you are not comfortable removing both of your cats in the hub-bub of security clearance area, you can ask to be cleared in an enclosed room.

My best advise as a person who has flown many times with cats, try to be as unnoticeable as possible, once on the plane stow your 'package' asap and do not draw attention to it. My experience over the years has been that over 90% of my seatmates had no idea that I was flying with a cat, and why should they.

BTW if this does not work for you PM me as I do have a friend with reasonable pet transportation service connections.

Bob
I've check out your link and I think the carrier is just a little too tight for my cats. I did not know about enclosed security though, this would be a great for me - do I request this when I arrive at the airport? Or would I set something up prior. Thanks.

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I am Booked for Jan 21st YOW-YYZ-YYC

Willing to help out, we can chat?
Sent you a message.

Originally Posted by billdokes
Just claim they are emotional support cats, apparently anything goes in that case...was in J on AC 115 on 12-27 and the woman across the aisle from me had what looked more like a ferret than a dog which she held against her chest for the entire flight...I asked the FA (politely) if the animal wasn't supposed to be in a Carrier and was told in a very chastising manner that it was an emotional support dog, as if I was supposed to have known that...clearly the other PAX's need for emotional support from the ferret like canine was more important than my allergies.
Sorry to hear about your experience but I don't think I'll venture down this route.

For future travellers who might be in the same situation, AC did NOT allow me to purchase 2 seats to bring 2 carriers into the cabin.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
JeffYVR

Got updates for us?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Not any good ones unfortunately

I'll be leaving my cats with a friend in Toronto for the time being.

AC Cargo was not helpful - couldn't reach them or their partnered 'agent', Westjet Cargo was very expensive. Will just try to fly with them in cabin on a low fare day in Feb.

Thanks for checking up though.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JeffYVR

AC Cargo was not helpful - couldn't reach them or their partnered 'agent', Westjet Cargo was very expensive. Will just try to fly with them in cabin on a low fare day in Feb.

Thanks for checking up though.
Oh that's too bad. I was hoping for some fun story of an FTer assisting with a fantastic ferrying feline master plan.
canadiancow and 5Miles like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can you take a cat in wide-body J?

I'm flying YYZ-YVR on Monday.

Edit: Never mind, companion has an allergy.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Oh that's too bad. I was hoping for some fun story of an FTer assisting with a fantastic ferrying feline master plan.
Many very nice FTers have contacted me but it doesn't seem to be working out this time around. Might seek some assistance again in the future as there's no longer a huge rush for me to get them over now as I have someone looking after them for the time being.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can you take a cat in wide-body J?

I'm flying YYZ-YVR on Monday.

Edit: Never mind, companion has an allergy.
I believe I can, and worries. Appreciate the offer - Fly safe!
5Miles likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by JeffYVR

AC Cargo was not helpful - .....
Probably a good choice.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...909887?cmp=rss

"He lost basically all his weight in the weeks that he was lost. He has very visible bones right now. And so he was quite cold when he came out of the bath," McCann said.

McCann was moving back to Winnipeg from Montreal with his two cats. He took a flight on Jan. 16, and travelled with his cat Vida in the cabin and paid $105 for his other cat, Dewy, to travel in the cargo area.

During a layover at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, the front gate on Dewy's crate fell open and the cat escaped inside Air Canada's baggage warehouse.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
Probably a good choice.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...909887?cmp=rss

"He lost basically all his weight in the weeks that he was lost. He has very visible bones right now. And so he was quite cold when he came out of the bath," McCann said.

McCann was moving back to Winnipeg from Montreal with his two cats. He took a flight on Jan. 16, and travelled with his cat Vida in the cabin and paid $105 for his other cat, Dewy, to travel in the cargo area.

During a layover at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, the front gate on Dewy's crate fell open and the cat escaped inside Air Canada's baggage warehouse.
Really unfortunate for the owner and the cat, glad to see they were reunited.

I'm sure their normal operations are a little more careful... but I wouldn't put any of my cats through that.

Also to note - I tried calling AC cargo a while back to book, where a rather rude gentleman told me I had to book through a 3rd party agent and handed me their number. After calling the agent's number, it went directly to a message that said something along the lines of "We're experiencing too many calls right now and only reply to emails." It's been 4+ weeks since I've first emailed them and I've still not heard back.

That was the major deciding factor in me not going with AC cargo as there seems to be very little to no care and reassurance for pet owners looking for cargo arrangements.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
A friend of mine was told by AC a number of months ago that she had to switch flights because they had too many pets in the cabin. I haven't heard of this before, so I ask, has anybody else?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by codfather
A friend of mine was told by AC a number of months ago that she had to switch flights because they had too many pets in the cabin. I haven't heard of this before, so I ask, has anybody else?
I've had to change flights for this reason. My wife is so allergic to cats that on the day we had one in the row ahead and one in the row behind, we had to leave a full flight.

SD obviously didn't want us to deplane, but we weren't willing to get bumped from J to middle seats in Y due to a medical issue. The SD only relented when I suggested that delaying our YOW-YVR flight long enough to pull our bags, would create less of a delay than a medical diversion to Pearson or Thunder Bay.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I've had to change flights for this reason. My wife is so allergic to cats that on the day we had one in the row ahead and one in the row behind, we had to leave a full flight.

SD obviously didn't want us to deplane, but we weren't willing to get bumped from J to middle seats in Y due to a medical issue. The SD only relented when I suggested that delaying our YOW-YVR flight long enough to pull our bags, would create less of a delay than a medical diversion to Pearson or Thunder Bay.
My personal opinion is that animals should not be allowed in the cabin ... period. But unfortunately, AC does not fully agree with this viewpoint.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Must have been too many "emotional support animals" onboard. Glad that other US carriers are taking a stand against that. Not sure why your friend was told by AC that they would remove people from flights because of their animals...
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
Must have been too many "emotional support animals" onboard. Glad that other US carriers are taking a stand against that. Not sure why your friend was told by AC that they would remove people from flights because of their animals...
Emotional support animals have gotten a bit ridiculous these days...

I heard of an emotional support iguana and various other things as of late
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Emotional support animals have gotten a bit ridiculous these days...

I heard of an emotional support iguana and various other things as of late
The one and only time I flew WestJet in the last five years (they were a sponsor of the project I was on) I sat in 5D, and 5E was a woman with a full-sized Golden Retriever sitting at her feet.

It was a long five hours.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
The one and only time I flew WestJet in the last five years (they were a sponsor of the project I was on) I sat in 5D, and 5E was a woman with a full-sized Golden Retriever sitting at her feet.

It was a long five hours.
You're not serious...

As much as I love Golden Retrievers, I don't think I would love them on a 5 plus hour AC flight. That seems a bit ridiculous, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.