Question: 2 Pets per passenger?

Old Dec 29, 20, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC
2 Pets per passenger?

Hello FT,

I'm moving from Toronto (YYZ) to Vancouver (YVR) by myself and hopefully my 2 cats.

I've been looking for options and it looks like AC only allows 1 pet per passenger. Both my cats are around 8lbs so I would like/need them to fly in cabin with me.

Currently my options are taking another person with me (finding this difficult as majority of people I know do not want to fly during these times which I can understand), or making 2 trips, taking 1 cat at a time which isn't ideal.

Do you guys have any recommendations or experiences on the matter?

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:27 pm

If you can't find another person to fly with you, then your only two options are to fly twice or check two pets in the luggage hold.
JeffYVR likes this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
When are you looking to fly, roughly?

If I happen to be taking a trip anyway around your dates, I'd probably be willing to take a cat with me.
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
When are you looking to fly, roughly?

If I happen to be taking a trip anyway around your dates, I'd probably be willing to take a cat with me.

That would be very convenient. Thank you.

I'm fairly flexible, but looking at any date from January 13th to the 23rd. Largely depends on when AC has space for both of my cats. When I last called them 2 days ago they told me that they would only allow animals on board from Jan 12th onward.
Old Dec 29, 20, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Well there's no chance of me flying that route in that range, but maybe someone else here likes cats and is flying.
Old Dec 29, 20, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Well there's no chance of me flying that route in that range, but maybe someone else here likes cats and is flying.
No worries.

Thanks none the less.
Old Dec 29, 20, 5:40 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like a great business venture for someone with an Unlimited flight pass!​​​​​​
​​​​​
/transport pets plus checked surfboard, construction material (sand), and/or wheels/rims
Old Dec 29, 20, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC E50 / Marriott Gold Elite
I'd gladly be a cat mule for a revenue ticket, but surely there has to be an easier/cheaper solution for you! I have done many snowbird car relocations, but never a pet!
Old Dec 29, 20, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Sounds like a great business venture for someone with an Unlimited flight pass!​​​​​​
​​​​​
/transport pets plus checked surfboard, construction material (sand), and/or wheels/rims
In at least one instance it was worth for someone to buy me a plane ticket to HK so I could use my 3x70lb elite luggage allowance to help them move.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 8:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by JeffYVR View Post
When I last called them 2 days ago they told me that they would only allow animals on board from Jan 12th onward.
The Christmas embargo that lasts until Jan 12th is only for pets in cargo. Pets can travel in the cabin at anytime, as long as maximum pets per flight hasn't been exceeded. The number of pets per flight varies with the aircraft type. I think 2-4 pets per flight.

Also if your move is employment-related, the costs of transporting your cats is a tax-deductible moving expense. This may help offset your costs if you have to take 2 flights or pay for another passenger to accompany the 2nd cat.

Wish I could help, but almost always fly with my small dog in the cabin. Best wishes on your move
Old Dec 29, 20, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by JeffYVR View Post
I'm fairly flexible, but looking at any date from January 13th to the 23rd. Largely depends on when AC has space for both of my cats. When I last called them 2 days ago they told me that they would only allow animals on board from Jan 12th onward.
Originally Posted by 5Miles View Post
The Christmas embargo that lasts until Jan 12th is only for pets in cargo. Pets can travel in the cabin at anytime, as long as maximum pets per flight hasn't been exceeded.
I also happen to be moving, my flight is on January 10th from Ottawa with a layover in Toronto. The only other snag is I'm in Premium Economy, and it seems they don't allow pets, so I'd have change seats. If the date works with you, let me know!
24left likes this.
Old Dec 29, 20, 11:44 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Depending on your time, you might consider renting a car and driving the cats to your destination.

Due to weather conditions, air transport of my dog (too large for under-the-seat) from NC to AZ was not feasible so I scheduled two meetings in NC 3 weeks apart. Flew to NC for first meeting, picked up dog and drove rental car 1,920 miles in 3 days to AZ, three weeks later drove rental car back to NC, turned it in, flew return trip back to AZ.

If the border were open, I'd be happy to fly from YVR (less than an hour form my town) to YYZ and help bring one of your cats back out west. I'm getting my second Covid vaccine on Jan 20 so I will be good for travel soon.

Some years back, I put my two gray cats in one carrier and never told anyone there was more than one cat in there. I don't think one could do that these days.
Old Dec 30, 20, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by onlyairfare View Post
Depending on your time, you might consider renting a car and driving the cats to your destination.

Due to weather conditions, air transport of my dog (too large for under-the-seat) from NC to AZ was not feasible so I scheduled two meetings in NC 3 weeks apart. Flew to NC for first meeting, picked up dog and drove rental car 1,920 miles in 3 days to AZ, three weeks later drove rental car back to NC, turned it in, flew return trip back to AZ.

If the border were open, I'd be happy to fly from YVR (less than an hour form my town) to YYZ and help bring one of your cats back out west. I'm getting my second Covid vaccine on Jan 20 so I will be good for travel soon.

Some years back, I put my two gray cats in one carrier and never told anyone there was more than one cat in there. I don't think one could do that these days.
the fastest route between Vancouver and Toronto would be through the United States. That would also give you more options to avoid snow in the winter as you can go as far south as California if needed
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Originally Posted by onlyairfare View Post

I know of someone who did this in August. Both 6lb cats in one bag. No issues.
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia View Post
I know of someone who did this in August. Both 6lb cats in one bag. No issues.
I think AC used to allow 2 small puppies or kittens in one carrier but their current guidelines don't mention that as an option.

The check-in and gate agents don't always look closely but pets are removed from the carrier at security so the bag can be sent through the x-ray unit. CATSA agent may flag the 2 cats if aware of policy. Also, one person managing 2 cats out of their carrier at security could be tricky.

Above all, it may not be humane to have 2 stressed adult cats in one carrier that is meant to hold 1 cat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: