Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Chase Aeroplan (US) cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cullen24
Print Wikipost

Master thread Chase Aeroplan (US) cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't think comparing the US to CA Aeroplan cards makes much sense though. When we get details, I'm much more interested in how it compares to the rest of the US market.
Ignoring the earn/transfer valuations, there are some other reasons that one might prefer a Canadian card over a US one (for instance, PIN support for overseas use). However, that's pretty moot for those who can't get a card other than from an issuer in their own country anyway, not to mention that mobile wallet support will help with at least some of the compatibility/convenience issues.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tmiw
Ignoring the earn/transfer valuations, there are some other reasons that one might prefer a Canadian card over a US one (for instance, PIN support for overseas use). However, that's pretty moot for those who can't get a card other than from an issuer in their own country anyway, not to mention that mobile wallet support will help with at least some of the compatibility/convenience issues.
All of the Canadian Aeroplan cards have foreign transaction fees. I think it's 2.5% if I remember correctly. Not worth using unless it was an emergency situation.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
New to FT so I thought I'd make my 2nd post something interesting

I was on a small Zoom chat w/ heads of Aeroplan Mark Nasr and Scott O'Leary, as hosted by Anshul from Points Miles and Bling, where several updates on the program was discussed.

Regarding Chase's upcoming new partnership set to launch towards the end of 2021, we know that a co-branded card(s) was coming, alongside the addition of Aeroplan as a new transfer partner. Further details are expected this summer, but in the meantime, here's what was shared:
  • The new co-branded card (yes, it will be a single product offering) will be a Mastercard World Elite product
  • $95 Annual Fee
  • While it will be considered 'competitive' relative to the US market for co-branded airline cards, it will not be particularly superior to the existing Canadian card offering
What does this mean? Well, we can compare this potentially to Chase's current $95 co-branded airline cards with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and the United Explorer. Here's what I GUESS/HOPE we will see, with a measure of reality as well. Everything below is speculation on my part.

SUB of 50K after $3k in 3mo + Buddy Pass after total of $6K in 6mo - This follows Chase's current trend of tiered SUBs, while comparing to the WoH card's previous structure. For those unfamiliar, the Buddy Pass is essentially a BOGO ticket similar to Delta's companion ticket. Currently, until the end of May (and potentially even longer), Aeroplan is allowing members to call in and exchange their posted Buddy Pass for 30K Aeroplan with no set end date. If this remains an unadvertised option for the US, this SUB would be quite strong at 80K Aeroplan, and would compare well to the United Explorer, if not approach the Quest.

Benefits:
  • 2x annual Maple Leaf Lounge access passes - given that MLL access is only granted for top tier (i.e. $599 CAD AF) cards in Canada, not sure if this is realistic. Modeled this after the United Explorer
  • Free checked bag - standard
  • $75 NEXUS credit every 4 years
  • Preferred Pricing on Aeroplan Awards - Aeroplan will implement a tiered discount system at some point in the future offering better discounts to those who hold higher tiered cards in CAN, those who have elite status etc.
Again, this is what I HOPE to see. More to come
LETTERBOY and lsquare like this.

Last edited by onetouchpass; Apr 28, 2021 at 8:32 am
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onetouchpass
New to FT so I thought I'd make my 2nd post something interesting

I was on a small Zoom chat w/ heads of Aeroplan Mark Nasr and Scott O'Leary, as hosted by Anshul from Points Miles and Bling, where several updates on the program was discussed.

Regarding Chase's upcoming new partnership set to launch towards the end of 2021, we know that a co-branded card(s) was coming, alongside the addition of Aeroplan as a new transfer partner. Further details are expected this summer, but in the meantime, here's what was shared:
  • The new co-branded card (yes, it will be a single product offering) will be a Mastercard World Elite product
  • $95 Annual Fee
  • While it will be considered 'competitive' relative to the US market for co-branded airline cards, it will not be particularly superior to the existing Canadian card offering
What does this mean? Well, we can compare this potentially to Chase's current $95 co-branded airline cards with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and the United Explorer. Here's what I GUESS/HOPE we will see, with a measure of reality as well. Everything below is speculation on my part.

SUB of 50K after $3k in 3mo + Buddy Pass after total of $6K in 6mo - This follows Chase's current trend of tiered SUBs, while comparing to the WoH card's previous structure. For those unfamiliar, the Buddy Pass is essentially a BOGO ticket similar to Delta's companion ticket. Currently, until the end of May (and potentially even longer), Aeroplan is allowing members to call in and exchange their posted Buddy Pass for 30K Aeroplan. If this remains an unadvertised option for the US, this SUB would be quite strong at 80K Aeroplan, and would compare well to the United Explorer, if not approach the Quest.

Benefits:
  • 2x annual Maple Leaf Lounge access passes - given that MLL access is only granted for top tier (i.e. $599 CAD AF) cards in Canada, not sure if this is realistic. Modeled this after the United Explorer
  • Free checked bag - standard
  • $75 NEXUS credit every 4 years
  • Preferred Pricing on Aeroplan Awards - Aeroplan will implement a tiered discount system at some point in the future offering better discounts to those who hold higher tiered cards in CAN, those who have elite status etc.
Again, this is what I HOPE to see. More to come
Not particularly exciting...
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:39 pm

Agreed, the comment they made about not wanting to offer a significantly superior product in the US compared to Canada should be enough to tamper expectations. They didn't want to create the wrong incentives for Canadians to skip TD/CIBC/Amex Canada in favor of the US.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, the comment they made about not wanting to offer a significantly superior product in the US compared to Canada should be enough to tamper expectations. They didn't want to create the wrong incentives for Canadians to skip TD/CIBC/Amex Canada in favor of the US.
Most Canadians don't have a SSN and therefore can't apply for a US credit card.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's obvious, but many in the points/miles community in Canada still do. There are well published methods involving ITINs. I can't yet link articles, but if you google "Canadians applying for US credit cards" or something similar, you will see what I mean.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by lsquare
Chase does not require a SSN to apply for a credit card. ITIN works. Then again do you actually "reside" in the US if you use that method.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
You can now transfer Chase points to Air Canada Aeroplan — and get on the waitlist for the upcoming Aeroplan card

The Chase and Air Canada partnership that was announced at the end of 2020 has taken its first step forward, and it's exciting news if you collect Ultimate Rewards points and like to redeem Aeroplan points.

Effective today, eligible Chase Ultimate Rewards cardholders can transfer points to Air Canada's Aeroplan loyalty program at a 1:1 ratio. From there, you can redeem Aeroplan points for award flights on Air Canada or with airline partners, including Star Alliance members United Airlines, Lufthansa, and Singapore Airlines.

Later this year, Chase will begin issuing an Aeroplan co-branded credit card, but you can now join the waitlist to be among the first to know when the card will launch. Those who join now will earn 10,000 points in addition to the launch offer if they're approved for the card.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
I dont see a link to register for the waitlist? Has it just been announced and not posted?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
I dont see a link to register for the waitlist? Has it just been announced and not posted?
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...bRry9iu3SzQp3k
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Still curious to see if this is worth anything.

They say it will be competitive... But I don't think there are any US airline cards that are competitive with the CSR or Amex Plat.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Still curious to see if this is worth anything.

They say it will be competitive... But I don't think there are any US airline cards that are competitive with the CSR or Amex Plat.
I take competitive being with other airline cards. Easiest comparable would be the United Explorer/Quest, or the current trio of Avios cards at all-time high 100K SUBs for $5K MSR. At least, I HOPE those are the comparables!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:29 pm

I take competitive being with other airline cards. Easiest comparable would be the United Explorer/Quest, or the current trio of Avios cards at all-time high 100K SUBs for $5K MSR. At least, I HOPE those are the comparables!
When I talk about "competitive", I don't even care about the signup bonus.

Will I ever use the card?

I get 3-5 points per dollar on virtually all my spend right now (given that most of my spend is travel and dining), and I can convert those 1:1 to Aeroplan. So if they're not going to give me 3+ points per dollar on travel or dining, then it's just not worth using.
scotchmeup and onetouchpass like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:35 am

Starting to get some more details on the Chase card. It may actually have some competitive features for certain people. Like 25K status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.