Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Variable Pricing - Post your search results here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Variable Pricing - Post your search results here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have read the posts to date and time - I still can not yet answer this question:

For SEs such as myself, are you paying more, same, or less - for J class redemptions now...
Yes. Sometimes more, sometimes the same, sometimes less. It depends when and where you're going.

I got YYZ-SFO for 22k in J (formerly 25k - I'll call that "the same"). YVR-TYO is way lower. SFO-YYT is way higher.
YYZ-SFO can also be 90k.

I thought a priority award could be used for a round-trip or even a multi-city Aeroplan booking?
Yes, but the response was to a question of "why would you ever book a round-trip".
Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone looked into YYZ-YVR (or v/v)? Despite the chart indicating a typical one way max of 60k for J I'm finding it difficult to come up with direct flight options that are under 60k, with most into the 6 figures (100-160k). Hoping this will be brought more in line with the chart, but also not completely surprised given the fares and profit on this route. An absolutely huge devaluation.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by gregster
Has anyone looked into YYZ-YVR (or v/v)? Despite the chart indicating a typical one way max of 60k for J I'm finding it difficult to come up with direct flight options that are under 60k, with most into the 6 figures (100-160k). Hoping this will be brought more in line with the chart, but also not completely surprised given the fares and profit on this route. An absolutely huge devaluation.
That's not the only route where this happens.

Don't worry. One of the key benefits of the new program is "Predictable pricing for flight rewards".
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes. Sometimes more, sometimes the same, sometimes less. It depends when and where you're going.

I got YYZ-SFO for 22k in J (formerly 25k - I'll call that "the same"). YVR-TYO is way lower. SFO-YYT is way higher.
YYZ-SFO can also be 90k.

Yes, but the response was to a question of "why would you ever book a round-trip".
Thank you, for the answer.

Your answer about priority award certificate answers the question as to why would one ever book a round trip rather than 2 trips with Aeroplan - to use one priority award with 50% off on a round trip (esp for SEs) compared to using 2 priority award certificates for each of one way trips- would save you a few points for the trip - but at the expense of using the one of 2 priority award certificates for the next trip- where a lot more points can be saved.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
That's not the only route where this happens.

One of the key benefits of the new program is "Predictable pricing for flight rewards".
I saw that...deserves an award for fantastic marketing doublespeak.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
Because you'd use up twice as many priority awards with two o/w's (if you were going to use them at all)
Though for someone who does not have or wish to use priority award, what else can be the reason?

For a low P25K like me, potential cancellation charges (assuming AC does not extend free cancellation to next year), the cancellation charge for one roundtrip ticket is $150, and for two one-way tickets would be $300.

Am I right?

So at the very least, the 5000 points as a "stopover" fee is my hedging -- if I have to cancel the trip next year, I'd save $150 by booking a roundtrip ticket.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Ok so this is weird.

IF booking two separate one way:

YYZ-PEK PE one way: 44,500 points
PVG-YYZ J one way: 62,000 points

Booking as round trip:

YYZ-PEK PE: 44,500 points
PVG-YYZ J: 67, 000 points (note it’s 5K more than above)

BUT when I book the round trip the final points required become 115,500, when it should have been 111,500 (44,500 + 67,000).

Why does the system charge me 4,000 extra? The stopover fee (5K) has already been factored into the cost in 111,500, as compared to the two one-way costs.

I want to book as a multi-city on one ticket.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I have particularly liked to have used J class bookings for India, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, and western Europe. I am considering using such booking for South Africa next year - assuming if covid 19 pandemic has been controlled.
The good news here is that South Africa is already looking MORE gettable than it used to be, since Lufthansa is regularly available and no longer prohibitively YQ-heavy, with predictable points pricing. Also worth noting that Ethiopian have moved YYZ-ADD over to the 359, which gets you away from the angle-flat seats on their Boeing fleet.

Australia and Hong Kong are likely to be a total crapshoot for AC business pricing, but gettable at predictable partner rates if you can find space with ANA / OZ as the world reopens.

Don't worry. One of the key benefits of the new program is "Predictable pricing for flight rewards".
Anyone who can make sense of the following, knows something I don't. Both flights are R9, which is usually the first place I look to get a hint at what Revenue Management might be thinking, and the two flights appear to be sold 02/30 and 02/28, respectively.

Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Anyone who can make sense of the following, knows something I don't. Both flights are R9, which is usually the first place I look to get a hint at what Revenue Management might be thinking, and the two flights appear to be sold 02/30 and 02/28, respectively.

Is there I-space on either? The prices seem to be much more correlated to fare class than actual price.

Edit: 101 has I, 103 does not.

So yes, I guess I know something you didn't
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Is there I-space on either? The prices seem to be much more correlated to fare class than actual price.
Edit: 101 has I, 103 does not. So yes, I guess I know something you didn't
I mean, I'm looking more for "why is that the case".

My understanding (and it's shaky at best) is that I space now plays a different role in award availability than we're used to. For example, I-space still means that 101 is available in J to partners while 103 is not, but that doesn't give us any information on why 103 is >4x the price in Aeroplan points, while cash fares are identical.

My point is that variable-pricing and I-space appear to have been decoupled.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I mean, I'm looking more for "why is that the case".

My understanding (and it's shaky at best) is that I space now plays a different role in award availability than we're used to. For example, I-space still means that 101 is available in J to partners while 103 is not, but that doesn't give us any information on why 103 is >4x the price in Aeroplan points, while cash fares are identical.

My point is that variable-pricing and I-space appear to have been decoupled.
I don't know why it's the case, but that's not new. It could be as simple as the two seats taken on 101 being P fares while the two taken on 103 were redemptions, and AC doesn't want to "sell" more than 2 seats in I-class. Or they're more wiling to give away I on a 0715 departure, because it doesn't sell as well as 0800.

I wouldn't look at I class as any indicator other than whether they're willing to sell seats at the bottom of the range. The I available to AC is not the same as the I available to partners.

If you have some (more) time, try to compare some close-in flights with R and P space to the same flights in 6 months with R and P space (neither should have I for this comparison to work).

This will give some good insight as to whether price plays any factor, or if it's really just fare class.

United tacks on a small points surcharge instead of a "close-in booking fee", so bear that in mind if it's a consistent 5000 points or something.

Also, PoT blog has a comparison as well: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-...erred-pricing/

I only skimmed it, and I disagree with some of the conclusions and some of the data, but it's a very easy to read comparison.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Looked up a one-way YYC–HKG for before Christmas (Dec 19). It's as low as 37900 for an Economy Standard reward, which is comparable to before. A Business Lowest reward is 212.6 K, but the Economy Latitude reward can be had for 52900, which I believe is upgradeable for 13 eUps. Having rewards options for all the different fare products gives a pretty good deal in this case!

canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

This reminds me of disadvantages:

1) last minute discretionary travel is going to be way up in cost since last minute tickets are $$$$. bummer as half our trips have little more planning than it takes us to get to the airport "want to go to Australia? later today? sure-then maybe 3-4 other countries on the round trip portion, but we will wait to plan more from the hotel lounge in Sydney."

2) need to monitor and rebook to refare: If I book yyz-las one way for 97k points or yyz-yvr for 108k points, shame on me but at least it then seems obvious to keep checking for a lower cost options until the day of my flight. But, even if someone books it for 27k, continued monitoring could improve the cost by a many thousand points if avail/price changes.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 11, 2020 at 1:31 pm
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
This reminds me of disadvantages:

1) last minute discretionary travel is going to be way up since last minute tickets are $$$$. bummer as half our trips have little more planning than it takes us to get to the airport "want to go to Australia? later today? sure-then maybe 3-4-
​​​​​​ other countries on the round trip portion, but we will wait to plan more from the hotel lounge in Sydney."

2) need to monitor and rebook to refare: If I book yyz-las one way for 97k points or yyz-yvr for 108k points, shame on me but at least it then seems obvious to keep checking for a lower cost options until the day of my flight. But, even if someone books it for 27k, continued monitoring could improve the cost by a many thousand points if avail/price changes.
I think your first point is only true if there's no X/I space.

On the non-stop YYZ-YVR flights tomorrow, one comes in at 11,800 for SE (less than before), and it has X space. The others are 35,000, and they do not have X space.

So for an SE accustomed to redeeming with IKK, yes, it's a big difference.

For everyone else, I don't see a difference. Either the flight was unavailable (or required double the miles), or it's still available at the bottom of the price range.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Looked up a one-way YYC–HKG for before Christmas (Dec 19). It's as low as 37900 for an Economy Standard reward, which is comparable to before. A Business Lowest reward is 212.6 K, but the Economy Latitude reward can be had for 52900, which I believe is upgradeable for 13 eUps. Having rewards options for all the different fare products gives a pretty good deal in this case!

If you are 25K or above, booking the flex PE would probably be a way better deal, securing instant upgrade to I using 13 credits, assuming there is R space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.