Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Lots of restaurants use off the shelf queue systems. At the very least don’t hold me in a physical line, let me check in or join the wait list from my phone while I sit somewhere, use the bathroom, or grab a coffee.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
More agents doesn't solve the problem of the lounge being at capacity. If anything, that's a useless waste of resources.
brewster likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
More agents doesn't solve the problem of the lounge being at capacity. If anything, that's a useless waste of resources.
Disagree. I've been in lines at both YYZ and YVR with people who had issues, either with their BPs or the cc benefits allowing entry, or their flights. Even if most others could just move over and scan their BPs for entry, that one agent handling those pax who needed more than just a BP scan is the reason the need more than 1 desk agent.

Also doesn't change the main points in my post.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Marriott Rewards
AC is selling access to the lounge to any pax for $50.00. Anyone willing to pay gets access.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
The last time I was there they did have two agents in the YVR MLL. Doesn't address the growing line of course.
Bohemian1, I can report the same for 7/8, they have 2 agents at YVR.
Either 2 at desk, or 1 at desk/1 outside or 1 at desk/1 on break.

Kinda want to add ontop of canadiancow here, maybe its a me thing but the YVR Domestic lounge being too small isn't today's news or yesterday's news or because of Virus capacity restriction.
It's simply too small of a facility even pre-pandemic, and I'm talking 8-10 yrs ago and felt that way.

With that said, because of the pandemic; this was the literally the 1st time EVER... I was able to get YVR Club photos
Taken on 7/8 9:45am before the 10-11am arrival block came in.

Originally Posted by 24left
Disagree. I've been in lines at both YYZ and YVR with people who had issues, either with their BPs or the cc benefits allowing entry, or their flights. Even if most others could just move over and scan their BPs for entry, that one agent handling those pax who needed more than just a BP scan is the reason the need more than 1 desk agent.

Also doesn't change the main points in my post.
Funny you mention this one 24left, the YYZ lounge did that on 7/10 at 4pm.
The agent would help guest on 1 computer, and would tell guest behind to scan the bp on the reader, then he/she will just sneak a peak on the other computer to check eligibility LOL
Maybe it's time for AC to invest in turnstiles at the lounge like SK or TK?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
Arrived at YVR to find a 20+ person line to get into the MLL, waited for a few minutes with no movement before asking for a “to go” bag and going to sit by the gate.

If travel is back to this volume then they need to find a better system with prioritization and a queue system. Shouldn’t an SE or someone in paid J get priority over a guest pass with no status, or someone who chooses to arrive 4+ hours early for their flight vs someone who is connecting and needs somewhere quiet to work between flights?

Other airlines seem to have solutions to overcrowded lounges, and while I appreciate the “to go” bag, food isn’t my only motivation for going to the lounge.
Sorry recreationaltimetraveller, it's not my fault I need to go to the airport hours early for a Rapid Test 🤷‍♂️
Go blame the idiot who thought a "Virus" is a non-item, nothing to worry about 🤦‍♂️

But as the saying goes, "The Early Bird gets the Worm" LMAO 🤣

If domestic picks up more during the fall/winter and int'l is still slow, wonder if AC can push YVR to push the swingable gate down to D52 and use the Int'l Lounge as a 2nd offering.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thoughts on the probability of the YYZ TB main MLL opening at the start of this August?
Even if they relax USA travel rules for July 21, I don't think that would be enough time, but hey here's hoping
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
Arrived at YVR to find a 20+ person line to get into the MLL, waited for a few minutes with no movement before asking for a “to go” bag and going to sit by the gate.
Taking my first post-Covid flight tomorrow (second, technically as I did a very short flight between waves). Is there a recommended time to get to the lounge ? My flight is at 5pm, but I can arrive just about anytime and work from the lounge.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
Taking my first post-Covid flight tomorrow (second, technically as I did a very short flight between waves). Is there a recommended time to get to the lounge ? My flight is at 5pm, but I can arrive just about anytime and work from the lounge.
For sure after the 1pm Widebody block boards (3/NRT, 116/YYZ, 344/YOW, 308/YUL).
10am-1pm domestic airside in YVR feels kinda like the old normal

There are three widebodies between 4-5pm tomorrow which might make things interesting (122/YYZ, NH115/HND, LH493/FRA)

Probably 1:30-2pm and you should get a good picking of seats inside?
How bad do you want to be in the club?
YVR4Ever likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So what's the algorithm, with the knowledge that there will be more MLL-eligible pax, for MLL entry?
Assume that the option of kicking out existing patrons of lesser status to accommodate higher status patrons wanting to get in, to be off the table.

Also, given local pandemic restrictions, we need to take into account that the pre-(non)-pandemic capacity is much higher than the current restrictions... so this exacerbates the current issue.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My algorithm is to put zoned boarding signs at the lounge entrance. If there's a zone 1 in line, they get in before any 2+.

Etc.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Fake Cheesecake
Preparing for my first international flight in a long time! Do I need to walk a special route to access the domestic MLL if originating from YYZ?
Just go through the domestic security line.

My algorithm is to put zoned boarding signs at the lounge entrance. If there's a zone 1 in line, they get in before any 2+.
Simple solution - I like it.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: AC SE

Etc.
I think this could be a good idea, or when 80% Capacity is reached for example, they have the right to deny certain access groups in order to save space by order of priority, now what that order should be is another story
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
For sure after the 1pm Widebody block boards (3/NRT, 116/YYZ, 344/YOW, 308/YUL).
Probably 1:30-2pm and you should get a good picking of seats inside?
How bad do you want to be in the club?
That was what I was thinking. I can already taste the soup, if that's any indication
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
YVR domestic MLL has always been my favourite: for the views and for the food.

I'l be in YVR the evening of 7/16, but I'll probably get my steps in instead before AC126.
Short hair Francis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.