Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will social distance come onboard AC flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will social distance come onboard AC flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Seat19k
In my day this was called business class
Probably best first post ever. Welcome to FT.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by tracon
In a metal tube with recycled air, closet sized galleys, smaller lavs and rest quarters only marginally bigger then luggage bins, aircrews might as well bathe in coronavirus for all the effort not posing for 1/30s would do.

Short of not having the flight, it doesn't matter. Statistically, everyone on that flight should be considered to be infected and infectious.

That crew might as well continue to fly rescue missions and spend their time in Canada sleeping in the closed SSL.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Soap is far better than hand sanitizer. Masks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.
Proper cleaning and grooming of the friggin planes would be a start too.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by respectable_man
Proper cleaning and grooming of the friggin planes would be a start too.
Which they pretty much seem to be doing.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Agreed. Flew with AC twice last week. Both aircraft were very clean, and you could smell the disinfectants.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Silver
This is good to know because I flew back one week ago today, and the plane had NOT been groomed during the turnaround: there were still old kleenex in the seatpocket and in the slider space at the top on the back of the seat in front of me.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Yeah but a little inefficient to give a bottle of soap to everyone in every seat!
I know it goes completely against what we've been taught in North America, but how about if people took responsibility for themselves?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:46 pm

Which is why whenever I see someone with a mask I feel like telling him/her that if he/she is sick, should not be around other people...

I don't disagree with what has been said above about masks, that has typically been my mantra as well. However, given how things are evolving in East Asia (huge chunk of population wears mask) vs NAm/Europe it may be the case that the masks are actually doing something subtle, especially with minimally symptomatic spreaders. On the other hand , given the shortage, it would still be better that they are saved for front line healthcare workers.

I've had 5 AC domestic flights this past week or so (one more segment tomorrow then I'll be home for a while) , have noted planes to be well cleaned (with delays from this), and mostly empty. They have been pretty good about spreading around passengers (obviously excluding those on same ticket). Airports are pretty quiet. Overall it seems domestic air travel is probably less risky than going to the grocery store .

Last edited by tdiddy23; Mar 22, 2020 at 1:55 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:25 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Emphasis mine:

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Agreed. Flew with AC twice last week. Both aircraft were very clean, and you could smell the disinfectants.
Yeah, I've tried that on-board Scotch as well.
D582 and YHZ_Flyer like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
I've ... have noted planes to be well cleaned (with delays from this), and mostly empty.
Yes, delays due to disinfecting are definitely to be expected these days. There's absolutely no pressure from anyone to keep the flight on time if it would compromise the cleanliness of the aircraft.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Pretty sure that none of this will be done by AC; but in another few weeks -- it won't matter with the number of flights grounded, borders closed, looming thoughts of domestic lockdowns, etc.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Pretty sure that none of this will be done by AC; but in another few weeks -- it won't matter with the number of flights grounded, borders closed, looming thoughts of domestic lockdowns, etc.
If they're smart and the staff willing, they could start a really deep cleaning cycle of all their planes.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Masks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.
Masks do help protect you in one way. If you wear one in public no one goes near you. Instant social distancing.
lsquare and rage like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.