Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will social distance come onboard AC flights?

Old Mar 21, 20, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

New Zealand will be introducing social distancing aboard Air NZ's remaining flights starting next week. That appears to mean that nobody will be seated next to anybody else on flights. There is a thread on this, which I started, in the Air NZ forum, for more info.

Since Canadians and Kiwis are about equal (in my experience) for being both sensible and community minded, I wonder whether we will be following suit? What do AC sages think about the chances of our flag carrier following Air New Zealand's lead, with or without prompting, from Ottawa?
Old Mar 21, 20, 2:40 pm

Programs: AeroPlan
In my day this was called business class
Old Mar 21, 20, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
New Zealand will be introducing social distancing aboard Air NZ's remaining flights starting next week. That appears to mean that nobody will be seated next to anybody else on flights.
If they don't also seat people every other row (or further), this is close to a useless exercise.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
If they don't also seat people every other row (or further), this is close to a useless exercise.
In the weeks ahead, I think that we will get increasingly determined/desperate to reduce covid19 transmission. So if there is any use to seat blocking, then it should be favoured over doing nothing.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I'm no medical expert, but isn't it easier just to provide everybody masks and hand sanitizers for the flight?
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE
That'll put a dent in 10-across.
Genetk44 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cooleddie View Post
isn't it easier just to provide everybody masks and hand sanitizers for the flight?
Soap is far better than hand sanitizer. Masks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
True.

Soap is far better than hand sanitizer. Masks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.
Beat me to it. My wife the ER nurse would be proud of you
pilot007, D582 and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:20 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Seat19k View Post
In my day this was called business class
Free European business class.
Nice
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
Free European business class.
Nice
Well, it won't be free. If airlines go ahead with this kind of approach (irrespective of whether it is more or less effective than soap, sanitizer, masks, or shamanic health amulets) the extra seats blocked on each flight will not be free. This is why I anticipate there will be few seat sales during the pandemic. Once they can pack us in again like sardines, that might change.
Old Mar 21, 20, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SMasks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.
Which is why whenever I see someone with a mask I feel like telling him/her that if he/she is sick, should not be around other people...
lsquare and YYC3722 like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Yeah but a little inefficient to give a bottle of soap to everyone in every seat!

Perhaps antiseptic wet wipes?
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie View Post
Yeah but a little inefficient to give a bottle of soap to everyone in every seat!

Perhaps antiseptic wet wipes?
If they could even find them in sufficient quantity.

US hospitals running short on things already, canít see airlines with people voluntarily traveling these days being prioritized for resupply.

At some level if you are in a place doing better than we are, stay put .
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
My flight yesterday was maybe 25 pax on an A320. Normally this flight which I take often is completely full. If this continues the airlines wonít need to worry about seat blocking or anything similar. Those who do fly will have plenty of room.
Old Mar 21, 20, 11:19 pm

Apparently not.
hoipolloi likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: