FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Will social distance come onboard AC flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2013880-will-social-distance-come-onboard-ac-flights.html)

transportprof Mar 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Will social distance come onboard AC flights?

New Zealand will be introducing social distancing aboard Air NZ's remaining flights starting next week. That appears to mean that nobody will be seated next to anybody else on flights. There is a thread on this, which I started, in the Air NZ forum, for more info.

Since Canadians and Kiwis are about equal (in my experience) for being both sensible and community minded, I wonder whether we will be following suit? What do AC sages think about the chances of our flag carrier following Air New Zealand's lead, with or without prompting, from Ottawa?

Seat19k Mar 21, 2020 2:40 pm

In my day this was called business class

mahasamatman Mar 21, 2020 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 32215728)
New Zealand will be introducing social distancing aboard Air NZ's remaining flights starting next week. That appears to mean that nobody will be seated next to anybody else on flights.

If they don't also seat people every other row (or further), this is close to a useless exercise.

transportprof Mar 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32215937)
If they don't also seat people every other row (or further), this is close to a useless exercise.

In the weeks ahead, I think that we will get increasingly determined/desperate to reduce covid19 transmission. So if there is any use to seat blocking, then it should be favoured over doing nothing.

cooleddie Mar 21, 2020 3:55 pm

I'm no medical expert, but isn't it easier just to provide everybody masks and hand sanitizers for the flight?

mountainboy Mar 21, 2020 3:58 pm

That'll put a dent in 10-across.

mahasamatman Mar 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie (Post 32216185)
isn't it easier just to provide everybody masks and hand sanitizers for the flight?

Soap is far better than hand sanitizer. Masks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.

Adam Smith Mar 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32215937)

True.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32216208)
Soap is far better than hand sanitizer. Masks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.

Beat me to it. My wife the ER nurse would be proud of you :)

Jumper Jack Mar 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Seat19k (Post 32215932)
In my day this was called business class

Free European business class.
Nice

transportprof Mar 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 32216255)
Free European business class.
Nice

Well, it won't be free. If airlines go ahead with this kind of approach (irrespective of whether it is more or less effective than soap, sanitizer, masks, or shamanic health amulets) the extra seats blocked on each flight will not be free. This is why I anticipate there will be few seat sales during the pandemic. Once they can pack us in again like sardines, that might change.

Stranger Mar 21, 2020 6:08 pm

SMasks help prevent people from spreading, but they don't help prevent people from getting anything - if fact there is research that says people with masks are more likely to get sick because they tend to touch their faces more often.

Which is why whenever I see someone with a mask I feel like telling him/her that if he/she is sick, should not be around other people...

cooleddie Mar 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Yeah but a little inefficient to give a bottle of soap to everyone in every seat!

Perhaps antiseptic wet wipes?

Revelate Mar 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie (Post 32216626)
Yeah but a little inefficient to give a bottle of soap to everyone in every seat!

Perhaps antiseptic wet wipes?

If they could even find them in sufficient quantity.

US hospitals running short on things already, can’t see airlines with people voluntarily traveling these days being prioritized for resupply.

At some level if you are in a place doing better than we are, stay put ;).

YEG USER Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm

My flight yesterday was maybe 25 pax on an A320. Normally this flight which I take often is completely full. If this continues the airlines won’t need to worry about seat blocking or anything similar. Those who do fly will have plenty of room.

tracon Mar 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Apparently not.