Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Provides Financial Update on COVID-19 (16Mar20); Long-term changes coming?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Provides Financial Update on COVID-19 (16Mar20); Long-term changes coming?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
What is the secret deal settled with Boeing over the 7M3s? Are they pre-ordering 797?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YVR72
What is the secret deal settled with Boeing over the 7M3s? Are they pre-ordering 797?
No idea. Given Boeing has not published details on the 797 probably not. What ever it is, look to be perfect timing for AC to have reached an agreement. If they were still negotiating today with everything going on am certain AC would have been in a weaker position.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
In what way? Aeroplan.com says the change was temporary, and I'm pretty sure Mark Nasr is on record that they'll bring back the second stop with the new system.
I hadn't heard that. I just knew we went from Stop-Turn-Stop to just Stop-Turn. They had sent out that whole policy update and I never recalled anything saying they'd be bringing it back. Seemed like a pretty easy cut that would suck for a lot of people but not ruin the value of the program entirely. Also the whole "not being able to pick your flights" or "maybe being able to pick your flights" thing isn't a cut per se, but it's kind of a joke.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
In what way? Aeroplan.com says the change was temporary, and I'm pretty sure Mark Nasr is on record that they'll bring back the second stop with the new system.
Over the last 2 months I've had 3 different agents confirm for me that it is gone for good and won't be coming back.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:21 am

If Air Canada gets a bail out from the Canadian government , they better provide benefits, such as free checked bags or free advance seat selection , to all Canadian taxpayers who funded the bailout, and not just to "elites"
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YVR72
Discussions of the 737 MAX and things related to Boeing are here, but i assume you knew that.

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Also, I recall discussions in the MAX thread and elsewhere, where some wondered if AC would order new / other aircraft from Boeing, like the 777X or even aircraft from Airbus. Answers were posted for both questions.

Last edited by 24left; Mar 17, 2020 at 6:49 am Reason: Add info
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
If Air Canada gets a bail out from the Canadian government , they better provide benefits, such as free checked bags or free advance seat selection , to all Canadian taxpayers who funded the bailout, and not just to "elites"
I think we can all assume that won't happen. I hate to be the pessimist but bailouts end up paying for bonuses and cutbacks just like anything else. Air Canada has been hiring anyone and everyone for ramp operations for a year now, watch them lay off a bunch of bottom guys...it stinks, but that's just the way capitalism works it seems.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Fiordland
No idea. Given Boeing has not published details on the 797 probably not. What ever it is, look to be perfect timing for AC to have reached an agreement. If they were still negotiating today with everything going on am certain AC would have been in a weaker position.
I don't know that the present situation would have any bearing on AC's position. In view of global events, Boeing's prospects of selling more planes has not increased.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
How much does one read into this:

According to CAPA Centre for Aviation, a consultancy, most airlines in the world will be bankrupt by the end of May unless governments intervene. "Coordinated government and industry action is needed — now — if catastrophe is to be avoided," the firm said in a report publishedMonday. "Cash reserves are running down quickly as fleets are grounded, and what flights there are operate much less than half full," it added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/busin...uts/index.html
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
WestJet has suspended all transborder and international flights for 30 days starting March 23
Air Canada I’m sure will follow once it has things organized : this has to have a massive impact. And with all the flight credits on the books that will have to be used by Dec 31 unless that’s pushed back, it’s going to be a new world when flights do resume.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
should people also expect free meals at restaurants that get helped out? Government is likely going to have to support business across a swath of industries and the outcome of that won’t be that they have to limit their future revenue potential in recovery
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I hadn't heard that. I just knew we went from Stop-Turn-Stop to just Stop-Turn. They had sent out that whole policy update and I never recalled anything saying they'd be bringing it back. Seemed like a pretty easy cut that would suck for a lot of people but not ruin the value of the program entirely. Also the whole "not being able to pick your flights" or "maybe being able to pick your flights" thing isn't a cut per se, but it's kind of a joke.
Originally Posted by bcnfish
Over the last 2 months I've had 3 different agents confirm for me that it is gone for good and won't be coming back.
https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...5_2019_07_15#/

...we’re temporarily suspending two features of the Aeroplan Program later this year...

...Beginning September 1, 2019, members can continue to make Flight Reward bookings to multiple cities, but will be limited to a maximum of one stopover or one open jaw, in addition to the point-of-turnaround...
The official announcement has always said "temporarily".
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea
I’m now sitting on an excess of $12k in AC flight credits + more with other carriers. My schedule allows advance booking months ahead so get excellent P / N fares for my clients.

This credit should cover good chunk of my summer/Fall flying, assuming resumption by June. Although change fees & fare differentials are add-ons.

So How much of these future flight credits are embedded in current AC financials? And I’m not keen on breakage.

Or do I become an AC creditor in bankruptcy?

For those with a crystal ball in the airline finance world, your views please?
No crystal ball here, but a few points:

1. Yes, I would think you would become a creditor. However,

2. If you paid by credit card for these tickets, I also would think credit cards would refund and debit the airline's account if the purchase did not become effective.

I am sitting on around $14k already paid to AC for further travel, but with less than $2k in May, and remainder with a bit in June and then July to Augiust. Expecting the May and part of June flying to be cancelled, but hoping the remainder still goes. Mostly P except one domestic trip upgraded latitude. About 70k AQMs.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by colombianbrew
should people also expect free meals at restaurants that get helped out? Government is likely going to have to support business across a swath of industries and the outcome of that won’t be that they have to limit their future revenue potential in recovery
Perhaps cheaper meals fir a few months? I wouldn't want my tax dollars to go to a company that will nickel and dime and treat me like cattle in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.