Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Romantic Getaway Flight Pass

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I agree that this is not a universally good deal - as with any FP, the value depends on one's travel patterns. But this FP is valid for all of North America, so it's good for e.g. YYZ-OGG or YVR-SJO during peak season - even advance basic fares can be a lot more than the per-credit cost of this FP in those cases. As you say, even domestically this could be a good deal for those who book at short notice or need flexibility.
Totally agree re: travel patterns. I bought a 3 mos NA UFP in the fall to hit my SQD for SE and worked hard to maximize the value, which resulted in a far lower per segment cost vs. buying all the tickets individually. Admittedly I did more flying than I would have organically to maximize my utility vs. $$ spent, and with better planning/flexibility I could have done even better on a cost/segment vs. single cash bookings.

Upside, lots of flexibility for last minute bookings, changes, route options, overall avg cost/segment. Downside, booked into Flex M so e-Ups were tricky on the well traveled trans-con trunk routes, especially YYZ/YVR + YEG/YYZ as I was booking mostly WB's or routes that oversell all the time and had to compete with everyone in PY being ahead of me, even as a SEMM I didn't clear as many as I would have hoped.

Will likely do it again this year, but with better advance planning to take full advantage of the breadth of destinations that would generally cost a lot more if booked without the FP.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by billdokes
Downside, booked into Flex M so e-Ups were tricky on the well traveled trans-con trunk routes, especially YYZ/YVR + YEG/YYZ as I was booking mostly WB's or routes that oversell all the time and had to compete with everyone in PY being ahead of me, even as a SEMM I didn't clear as many as I would have hoped.
That's the main reason the Romantic pass isn't interesting to me.

The J pass is more than I can just buy J or "basically guaranteed J" for.

The Flex M pass is... Flex M.

If there were a reasonably priced Latitude pass I'd seriously consider buying it.
billdokes and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Ya I have a couple of promotional Flex M passes I bought last year, and for upcoming travel I was able to just book PY for less, but had to go ex YVR instead of YYJ. I do think these flight passes are much more valuable to people that don't originate or terminate in YVR/YYC/YYZ/YUL, adding that extra YVR-YYJ hop can sometimes double the price of a regular ticket, but it's free on the FP.
billdokes likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Titanium
Flight Credits increased 4 to 8

We bought this the past two years but it was only 4 credits. One return trip for two people. It now appears to be 8 credits? Won’t be buying it this year.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Davevad
We bought this the past two years but it was only 4 credits. One return trip for two people. It now appears to be 8 credits? Won’t be buying it this year.
Same here. I'm disappointed. I was ready to buy, but not 8 segments.

Also, the price per credit has increased by $154 or 19% (to Europe).

Last edited by sokolov; Feb 4, 2024 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Interesting. When was this? Which Flex UFP was this? Mine was the 3-month E-W Connector Flex UFP.
Sorry, missed your question.

North American Flex UFP. Pretty sure the fee applied from 2015 (when I bought my first one) to at least 2018....

Totally agree re: travel patterns. I bought a 3 mos NA UFP in the fall to hit my SQD for SE and worked hard to maximize the value, which resulted in a far lower per segment cost vs. buying all the tickets individually. Admittedly I did more flying than I would have organically to maximize my utility vs. $$ spent, and with better planning/flexibility I could have done even better on a cost/segment vs. single cash bookings.

Upside, lots of flexibility for last minute bookings, changes, route options, overall avg cost/segment. Downside, booked into Flex M so e-Ups were tricky on the well traveled trans-con trunk routes, especially YYZ/YVR + YEG/YYZ as I was booking mostly WB's or routes that oversell all the time and had to compete with everyone in PY being ahead of me, even as a SEMM I didn't clear as many as I would have hoped.

Will likely do it again this year, but with better advance planning to take full advantage of the breadth of destinations that would generally cost a lot more if booked without the FP.
On the plus side, you use less eups per upgrade than you would if you had bought a Y ticket....

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 11, 2024 at 1:19 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
On the plus side, you use less eups per upgrade than you would if you had bought a Y ticket....
It doesn't matter how few credits they want if you can't clear!!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
It doesn't matter how few credits they want if you can't clear!!
But that's a function of any Flex fare on equipment with PY cabin. When it does clear its still less eup credits.

Not so much a downside of UFP as downside of Flex fare class. You could always buy a J UFP!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
But that's a function of any Flex fare on equipment with PY cabin. When it does clear its still less eup credits.

Not so much a downside of UFP as downside of Flex fare class. You could always buy a J UFP!
That's a fair point...I didn't think as a SE/MM that I would rank so low in the Aero-lotto...lesson learned...if I did it again I would be more careful about booking flights that had positive "R" space at T-14d and then try to SDC through the Concierge to the flight I actually want to be on...another YMMV experience I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.