Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada does not recognize Turkish Airlines member status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada does not recognize Turkish Airlines member status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by chris1983
I talked to another guy from Turkish Airlines, and he said I need the card. But I've been waiting for new card for 3 months. The digital card is useless as you suggest.
TK hasn’t been mailing out physical card for over a year now. You have to physically visit the service desk at IST. More on this in the TK forum.

I find that as long as my AC reservation shows TK *G, BP will show the same, and BP alone is sufficient for entering AC lounges. I do notice that the status does not update for existing bookings after you have qualified a new tier.

Both AC and TK have very crappy IT unfortunately.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
My 2019 TK status just expired yesterday and I had to download a new card with my 2020 status.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by eigenvector
There are some *A carriers who do not even provide physical cards. Airline FFP cards don't have any security or anti-counterfeiting measures on them so other than costing $5 to fake I'm not sure why some carriers continue to insist that a physical card is more meaningful than a digital one as long as it has the relevant information: name, status, expiration date.
That's not true, some programs combine with credit card functions and have all the required security. Qantas and Virgin Australia do this. Think like the ACC. Others, like JAL and ANA offer credit cards that have frequent flyer status attached -- meaning you can't have the card unless you're elite, so all you do is show your credit card. Many also allow you to scan/swipe it instead of having to input all the details: AA and UA do this at check-in machines.

For domestic flights in Australia, you can even use your QF elite card as your boarding pass.

Just because some carriers are unimaginative in keeping up with the times and issue useless pieces of plastic doesn't mean it has to be. Also, some people like shiny things anyway. Why can't airlines issue metal cards like Qatar does for Platinum?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had the issue for a while after moving from E35K to E50K. It took a while to receive a card, and it took a while for UA's systems to recognize that I was now *G instead of *S. There was nothing I could do to get into a UA lounge until their system updated. That happened before I received my card.
I’ve had the opposite happen too. Dropped from *G to nothing and UA BP still showed *G.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I had the issue for a while after moving from E35K to E50K. It took a while to receive a card, and it took a while for UA's systems to recognize that I was now *G instead of *S. There was nothing I could do to get into a UA lounge until their system updated. That happened before I received my card.
I ran into this issue a few weeks ago in Chicago. Received my 50K status a week before my UA flights. UA BPs showed AC*S. UA agents weren’t able to get it to reflect *G in their system. Showed my digital altitude card at the United Club. They very reluctantly let me in, after manually entering my AP # into their computer. They said they were doing me a favour, and I need the physical card.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
I ran into this issue a few weeks ago in Chicago. Received my 50K status a week before my UA flights. UA BPs showed AC*S. UA agents weren’t able to get it to reflect *G in their system. Showed my digital altitude card at the United Club. They very reluctantly let me in, after manually entering my AP # into their computer. They said they were doing me a favour, and I need the physical card.
Says the airline who doesn't send physical cards to half their members because it isn't necessary
StuMcIlwain likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by keitherson
That's not true, some programs combine with credit card functions and have all the required security. Qantas and Virgin Australia do this. Think like the ACC. Others, like JAL and ANA offer credit cards that have frequent flyer status attached -- meaning you can't have the card unless you're elite, so all you do is show your credit card. Many also allow you to scan/swipe it instead of having to input all the details: AA and UA do this at check-in machines.

For domestic flights in Australia, you can even use your QF elite card as your boarding pass.

Just because some carriers are unimaginative in keeping up with the times and issue useless pieces of plastic doesn't mean it has to be. Also, some people like shiny things anyway. Why can't airlines issue metal cards like Qatar does for Platinum?
LH even changes your card number each time your status changes! Perhaps with LH, the first few digits of the card number would map to a specific status?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:32 am

With that line of thinking, then if the system says no, you're rejected. As was the case here.
So basically the person there is just to inform you of what the computer says, and basically a mindless automaton?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So basically the person there is just to inform you of what the computer says, and basically a mindless automaton?
For cabin- or status-based lounge entry? Yes.

They do lots of other things too.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by daniellam
LH even changes your card number each time your status changes! Perhaps with LH, the first few digits of the card number would map to a specific status?
Yes all SENS start with 2220 and all HON starts with 3330
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

How long have you been *G?

Did your BP say TK*G?
My boarding pass says TK*S, this is the problem. When they scan my digilal card (which is a GOLD Turkish Digital Card), it says I don't have privilege. When I call Turkish Airlines, they say I'm absolutely Star Alliance Gold Status, and its a problem with Air Canada.

At the end, the I had to wait 1 hour for them to call Turkish Airlines and confirm I am gold status.

Today I'm flying again, and it still says TK*S. This is so annoying, and it doesn't seem like there is a way to fix this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I just filed a complaint as you did. Thank you for letting me know that worked, hopefully it works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.