Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada does not recognize Turkish Airlines member status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

I was refused access to Air Canada's lounge in Toronto because their system seems to think I'm a TK*S (When I'm Gold Elite with Smiles & Miles). When I called Turkish Airlines Smiles and Miles to confirm my status, they absolutely affirmed my status is Tk*G, I have gold elite with them. They told me AC has to let me in when I show them my digital card, but they didn't, saying the system doesn't recognize my barcode on my digital card.

Turkish says this is an Air Canada issue, and they need to let me, but they won't. Very frustrating.

Anyone else seeing this issue? I'm trying to contact Air Canada, but their wait times are hours long and impossible to talk to a manager. I can't believe how downhill they've gone.

Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by chris1983
I was refused access to Air Canada's lounge in Toronto because their system seems to think I'm a TK*S (When I'm Gold Elite with Smiles & Miles). When I called Turkish Airlines Smiles and Miles to confirm my status, they absolutely affirmed my status is Tk*G, I have gold elite with them. They told me AC has to let me in when I show them my digital card, but they didn't, saying the system doesn't recognize my barcode on my digital card.

Turkish says this is an Air Canada issue, and they need to let me, but they won't. Very frustrating.

Anyone else seeing this issue? I'm trying to contact Air Canada, but their wait times are hours long and impossible to talk to a manager. I can't believe how downhill they've gone.

chris1983 which YYZ MLL are you trying to gain access to?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
chris1983 which YYZ MLL are you trying to gain access to?
US departures lounge.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
US departures lounge.
ok... I'm in domestic and was willlng to guest you in.
sorry I don't have an answer to your issue... it's quite unfortunate and shouldn't happen. This does happen from time to time as reported here, but we see it with more of the "lesser" *A members such as A3... but TK is arguably a more prominent member so it's disappointing to hear this.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How long have you been *G?

Did your BP say TK*G?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
I've had the same issue before. I was OZ*G, but was recognized as OZ*S. I was not allowed into AC lounges.

How it was resolved - I filed a report on aircanada.com (as a lounge issue I believe) mentioning that I was only recognized as OZ*S and was not allowed into lounges. It did take about a month, but my status was finally corrected.

Don't bother calling in (both AC and TK). They won't be able to do a single thing for you.
chris1983 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
ok... I'm in domestic and was willlng to guest you in.
sorry I don't have an answer to your issue... it's quite unfortunate and shouldn't happen. This does happen from time to time as reported here, but we see it with more of the "lesser" *A members such as A3... but TK is arguably a more prominent member so it's disappointing to hear this.
Wow, thank you so much for even thinking of this and offering it. Actually made my day better to see an offer like this.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:55 pm

They told me AC has to let me in when I show them my digital card, but they didn't, saying the system doesn't recognize my barcode on my digital card.​
Is this actually true? I know they have to let you in if your BP states TK*G, or if you produce a physical card that hasn't expired. Is the digital card, as convenient as it may be to have, a recognized *G lounge entry credential? I know people have reported success using them at *G lounges, but were the agents obligated to provide admittance on that credential alone?

Edit: All the *A website states is the following (https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy):

Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class of travel

As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
  • You present your boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning.
  • If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
  • The lounge displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight, not when departing on a domestic flight with United.
IMHO it's not super clear that the AC agent was in the wrong, especially if the code on the phone didn't work. Presenting your phone (for digital card) and presenting your card could be considered to be 2 different things by some.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Is this actually true? I know they have to let you in if your BP states TK*G, or if you produce a physical card that hasn't expired. Is the digital card, as convenient as it may be to have, a recognized *G lounge entry credential? I know people have reported success using them at *G lounges, but were the agents obligated to provide admittance on that credential alone?
I talked to another guy from Turkish Airlines, and he said I need the card. But I've been waiting for new card for 3 months. The digital card is useless as you suggest.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, thank you so much for even thinking of this and offering it. Actually made my day better to see an offer like this.
I will say confidently that many others here would do the same thing. Again, sorry to hear you're being denied. When I fly as AC*G on *A, I've never had issues entering a partner's *G lounge, and as such, you shouldn't be having this issue with AC.
chris1983 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:09 pm

I had the issue for a while after moving from E35K to E50K. It took a while to receive a card, and it took a while for UA's systems to recognize that I was now *G instead of *S. There was nothing I could do to get into a UA lounge until their system updated. That happened before I received my card.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Since this is clearly not an isolated incident, why is this happening and who's fault is it? Why does nobody want to fix this?
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by keitherson
Since this is clearly not an isolated incident, why is this happening and who's fault is it? Why does nobody want to fix this?
I wouldnt suspect AC will care about fixing things like this until DCS migration is complete.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG USER
IMHO it's not super clear that the AC agent was in the wrong, especially if the code on the phone didn't work. Presenting your phone (for digital card) and presenting your card could be considered to be 2 different things by some.
There are some *A carriers who do not even provide physical cards. Airline FFP cards don't have any security or anti-counterfeiting measures on them so other than costing $5 to fake I'm not sure why some carriers continue to insist that a physical card is more meaningful than a digital one as long as it has the relevant information: name, status, expiration date.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
There are some *A carriers who do not even provide physical cards. Airline FFP cards don't have any security or anti-counterfeiting measures on them so other than costing $5 to fake I'm not sure why some carriers continue to insist that a physical card is more meaningful than a digital one as long as it has the relevant information: name, status, expiration date.
With that line of thinking, then if the system says no, you're rejected. As was the case here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.