FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Speculation: What's happening with the planes scheduled to fly to China? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2007115-speculation-whats-happening-planes-scheduled-fly-china.html)

EdmFlyBoi Mar 5, 2020 7:11 am

Suspended flights for March/April include:

YYZ-HKG
YYZ-ICN (starts April 1)
YYZ-PEK
YYZ-PVG
YUL-PVG
YVR-PEK
YVR-PVG
YVR-TPE (reduction in frequency)

That's a heck of a lot of wide bodies sitting on the ground. Each route generally requires 2 aircraft (although they will do other turns between Canada-Asia flights). Seems like they could put the A330's through refurb and a whole bunch through repaint if there is opportunity to accelerate the work. They could also give some of the high hours/cycles aircraft a break. Between COVID-19 and the Max grounding, there is a lot of metal not flying.

skybluesea Mar 5, 2020 10:05 am

delete

InTheAirGuy Mar 5, 2020 10:07 am

Flew a 787-9 YOW-YYZ the other day.

YYZMike Mar 5, 2020 10:13 am

I'm scheduled to fly on a 77L from YYZ to YVR this weekend. I looked at where the aircraft will be coming from, and it's scheduled to do turns to YYC, YUL, and MIA.

Despite having no rational basis for feeling this way, it's a little sad to see such a capable bird relegated to relatively short hops. I hope she can get back to proper ULH flights before too long.

asovse1 Mar 5, 2020 10:20 am

What tools are you all using to look up where fin numbers, registration numbers, or inbound flights have been?

I'm aware you could look up a flight in the app, and then track where the inbound flight has been, but I'm sure there's a more efficient way to look this up!

Also, it looks like my YEG-YYZ AC 178 flight on May 1 got upgauged to a mainline 767, so that's a nice upgrade! (assuming it sticks)

songsc Mar 5, 2020 10:44 am

Originally Posted by asovse1 (Post 32146114)
What tools are you all using to look up where fin numbers, registration numbers, or inbound flights have been?

I'm aware you could look up a flight in the app, and then track where the inbound flight has been, but I'm sure there's a more efficient way to look this up!

Also, it looks like my YEG-YYZ AC 178 flight on May 1 got upgauged to a mainline 767, so that's a nice upgrade! (assuming it sticks)

Flightradar24 is one of the websites where you can track aircrafts by registration.

YXUFlyboy Mar 5, 2020 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi (Post 32145262)
Suspended flights for March/April include:

YYZ-HKG
YYZ-ICN (starts April 1)
YYZ-PEK
YYZ-PVG
YUL-PVG
YVR-PEK
YVR-PVG
YVR-TPE (reduction in frequency)

That's a heck of a lot of wide bodies sitting on the ground. Each route generally requires 2 aircraft (although they will do other turns between Canada-Asia flights). Seems like they could put the A330's through refurb and a whole bunch through repaint if there is opportunity to accelerate the work. They could also give some of the high hours/cycles aircraft a break. Between COVID-19 and the Max grounding, there is a lot of metal not flying.

YYC-NRT suspended as well.

EdmFlyBoi Mar 5, 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 32148038)
YYC-NRT suspended as well.

It’s zeroed out into May. Wonder if it’s done for good.

ACYYZ/SD Mar 6, 2020 4:15 am

Could see adding capacity and extending the season on YYZ-HNL flights. Loads have been very strong. For years, the Company has always been very strong in shifting capacity where required.

YXUFlyboy Mar 6, 2020 7:05 am

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi (Post 32148312)
It’s zeroed out into May. Wonder if it’s done for good.

Returning in July. But if the virus continues to kill travel I can see it being cancelled this year to help keep YVR-NRT viable.

After Burner Mar 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 32148887)
Could see adding capacity and extending the season on YYZ-HNL flights. Loads have been very strong. For years, the Company has always been very strong in shifting capacity where required.

At first I figured this flight would be largely useless because of its lack (twice weekly) of frequency. But I've already used it 4 times this winter. So I would love to see it extended into the summer. And based on my limited sample it does seem to always be completely full.

Is your comment based just on a semi-speculative thought or are you aware of some consideration to extending the schedule? On one of these flights I overheard an SD talking about exactly that.

ACYYZ/SD Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am

Originally Posted by After Burner (Post 32166207)
At first I figured this flight would be largely useless because of its lack (twice weekly) of frequency. But I've already used it 4 times this winter. So I would love to see it extended into the summer. And based on my limited sample it does seem to always be completely full.

Is your comment based just on a semi-speculative thought or are you aware of some consideration to extending the schedule? On one of these flights I overheard an SD talking about exactly that.

Simply that, during these precarious times, the loads seem to be quite healthy. Here's hoping...

YVRtoYYZ Mar 13, 2020 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 32148887)

And avoid the OMNI stop in YVR...yes please!