FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Speculation: What's happening with the planes scheduled to fly to China? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2007115-speculation-whats-happening-planes-scheduled-fly-china.html)

RangerNS Feb 3, 2020 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 32027736)
Even if the new design has been approved, who knows on what schedule Collins was manufacturing them. Again, if the new bladders were ordered for June, or October, or whenever, AC can't just pull them off the shelf tomorrow and throw them in a plane.

Even if you did have a bunch on the shelf now, it would still not be an obviously good idea to use them all. (especially if its the faulty version you have on the shelf). The bladders (or any other randomly selected problematic aircraft part) might have a failure rate of some fixed % chance per use, or a bathtub curve of failure or something else not directly related to time. So you could replace X units 98% of them who would never have failed with a bunch of units who haven't been burned in, and then on the first flight you blow out more then you have on the shelf. Doesn't really help.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 32027786)
Which rescue flights are you referring to? Air Canada is not participating in any.

Originally Posted by marke190 (Post 32027975)
I interpreted rescue flights as referring to extra segment (usually widebody) flights that are sent into airports to clear out IRROPS-related backlog.

Or just the regular reality of aircraft going mechanical. Not rescuing people from China.

CZAMFlyer Feb 3, 2020 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 32028151)
Thanks. Indeed, the distinction between repairs/replacement of faulty parts and a maintenance check was not clear.

Apologies, I'll try to be more clear in future. I can see how my post could have been ambiguous.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Or just the regular reality of aircraft going mechanical. Not rescuing people from China.

Fair point. The term '
rescue flight', given the current events in the news, led me towards a Wuhanian conclusion. I gotcha now.

Eternity000 Feb 3, 2020 1:21 pm

Guess one may end up being used for the bird that just blew the engine in Madrid....

Mikey Mike Mike Feb 3, 2020 4:30 pm

so with the frames freed up, they could re-start the repaint job for the new livery (suspended with the MAX grounding), or give some of the dream liners a decent clean. The MAX debacle has really stretched the fleet to the limits with both E190s and 767's staying on beyond the scheduled retirement and all aircraft types really showing the internal dirt, lack of operable charging sockets etc etc
Bizarrely today, an aircraft swap in London resulted in a 787-9 flying into Ottawa (which has been a 767 route since the day dot) and the 767 which arrived into London from Ottawa heading to Calgary. I wonder if it was the best way to position a 767 to Calgary at quick notice for a shortfall

YVR72 Feb 5, 2020 10:30 pm

I’ve seen 3 789s parked at YVR. One by the south hangar, one by deicing field, and one near the new remote stands where one of the Omni planes overnights.

CarNut Feb 7, 2020 5:10 am

Just noticed that AC 739 today (YYZ-SFO) has been switched from a Lion to a 787-9.

EdmFlyBoi Feb 7, 2020 5:54 am

Originally Posted by CarNut (Post 32043293)
Just noticed that AC 739 today (YYZ-SFO) has been switched from a Lion to a 787-9.

May be an indication that we are going to see the A330 refurbishment accelerated. Many carriers have extended their China cancellations to the end of March and I would expect AC to do the same. There will likely continue to be wide body slack in the system. The Madrid 767 has gone out of service - I had a YHZ-YEG flight in June changed where a mainline 767 has been replaced by a Rouge 767 on YYZ-YEG - not sure what that is reflective of. At the rate the Coronavirus seems to be increasing in numbers of infected in China (past 30000 cases), it would seem unlikely that China service will return any time soon.

aircrashsurvivor Feb 7, 2020 11:16 am

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi (Post 32025354)
Unlikely they will put it back into the schedule as it would require a fair number of short notice bookings to fill the plane, especially the back. It sure would help the YYZ-LHR prices though, they have been pretty high lately.

the Yyz lhr route is crazy especially in J class. And not just with AC. BA also. Is it LHR that’s the issue ? Because a return flight YYZ LHR originating in YYZ is pushing $7000. Same on BA in J: YYZ to Paris same dates is like $4000.

PLeblond Feb 7, 2020 4:11 pm

The YYZ-RSW 10:00 return 14:30 was switched from Rouge to a 788. Then in the last 24 hours switched back. Perhaps this is related?

CZAMFlyer Feb 7, 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by YVR72
I’ve seen 3 789s parked at YVR. One by the south hangar, one by deicing field, and one near the new remote stands where one of the Omni planes overnights.

You've seen normal overnight parking for various airplanes. Having three AC widebodies - even three Dreamliners - parked overnight is a regular occurrence at YVR.

PS: semantics, I apologize, but the east remote stands where Omni park aren't new; they're just renumbered. The new remote stands are further east, where JetSet Parking used to be, and are not suitable for any widebody aircraft.

alexdelzotto Feb 7, 2020 8:02 pm

789 showing on some random days end of February on YUL-RSW, MIA & MCO
As well a few upgauged YUL-YVR other then the usual 789 on AC309.

EdmFlyBoi Feb 8, 2020 8:19 am

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor (Post 32044515)
the Yyz lhr route is crazy especially in J class. And not just with AC. BA also. Is it LHR that’s the issue ? Because a return flight YYZ LHR originating in YYZ is pushing $7000. Same on BA in J: YYZ to Paris same dates is like $4000.

LHR is a high demand destination, especially from YYZ. At the moment, AC is only flying 7 daily departures from Canada to LHR. The two eastern Canada routes are suspended and there is no day-tripper from YYZ. There is also only the one flight per day from YVR, which increases to two in the summer high season. With smaller aircraft on the routes (ie. 788 from YYZ and 767 from YYC as well as the commonly used A330 from YUL) there are definitely less J seats. They are also using the low J 777 on 848 to LHR (I am on it on Monday). You sometimes see 2 high J 777 from YYZ in the summer.

AC is good about yield management so I suspect the reduction in J seats corresponds with demand. It is going to be really interesting to see the 4th quarter results. I suspect the Max imposed capacity discipline will result in a fairly good 4th quarter from a profit perspective.

EdmFlyBoi Feb 9, 2020 7:24 am

Two of YYZ-YEG-YYZ today are 787’s. AC168 was always a 788 but AC170 has been upgauged to a 789 (was originally a Rouge 767).

secretalcoholic Feb 9, 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 32020826)
Speculation (but unlikely): Clean them?

lol. The first thing that popped into my head was this:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2532c05b38.jpg

HerpaYvr Feb 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by CarNut (Post 32043293)

AC142 yesterday was scheduled on a LION and I was really hoping for 787/777 as I was in J and NOPE.....stayed as a LION. :(