Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Anyone hear of any US flight changes? They're still selling starting Monday, but the border closure seems to have been extended.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anyone hear of any US flight changes? They're still selling starting Monday, but the border closure seems to have been extended.
Did you read the press release linked by ChrisA330 ? It included the following:

As part of the new schedule, in accordance with provisions for air travel to the U.S. for Canadians, Air Canada will resume service to the U.S. on May 22, with six destinations being served by May 25, including New York-LaGuardia, Washington-Dulles, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago. This is a reduction from 53 U.S. destinations served last year. There are tentative plans to resume more U.S. service as of June 22, pending regulatory changes and demand.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Article:

https://viewfromthewing.com/air-cana...change-policy/
Old May 22, 2020, 4:03 pm
Suspended

AC all over the blogs today.

A few different topics covered here.

Article

https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-ca...es-us-flights/
Old May 22, 2020, 4:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
I think he's being overly generous in calling it the world's second-most generous ticket change policy. There are still no refunds for flights cancelled by AC. It's generous on voluntary changes, but still screwing us on involuntary changes.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think he's being overly generous in calling it the world's second-most generous ticket change policy. There are still no refunds for flights cancelled by AC. It's generous on voluntary changes, but still screwing us on involuntary changes.
Well ya, which is why I posted this emoji before the article
Old May 22, 2020, 5:18 pm

If rebooking with a travel credit, does that mean credit card travel insurance is no longer valid?
Old May 22, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Book with Flexibility

Just got this email:

We have implemented highly flexible and expanded booking options. You can make a one-time change without a fee for all new or existing bookings made through June 30, 2020 for original travel between March 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021. If you booked directly with Air Canada and you need to cancel for any reason, you can convert your ticket to an Air Canada Travel Voucher that has no expiry date or to Aeroplan Miles with an additional 65% bonus miles.

I would love to see the terms and conditions of changing a revenue ticket to AE miles.
And a voucher without expiry dates?
Old May 22, 2020, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't understand the purpose of the "one-time change".

Why wouldn't I just take the voucher and book a new itinerary, thereby getting another change out of it?
Old May 22, 2020, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I don't understand the purpose of the "one-time change".

Why wouldn't I just take the voucher and book a new itinerary, thereby getting another change out of it?
Just thought the same thing https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32396932-post400.html

Probably going to book a flight I was on the fence about now. Both the forever voucher and the AP miles are acceptable cancellation options for me.

EDIT: Important questions here though. Will these vouchers have the same limitations as gift cards, i.e. either GC + CC, or two GC must cover the entire cost. Some people may end up with several small vouchers.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Just thought the same thing https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32396932-post400.html

Probably going to book a flight I was on the fence about now. Both the forever voucher and the AP miles are acceptable cancellation options for me.

EDIT: Important questions here though. Will these vouchers have the same limitations as gift cards, i.e. either GC + CC, or two GC must cover the entire cost. Some people may end up with several small vouchers.
That's kinda my concern.

No time limit to credits is one thing. But being able to use them without breakage is yet another,
Old May 23, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by tracon
If rebooking with a travel credit, does that mean credit card travel insurance is no longer valid?
This is a great question and one someone will need to research.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:46 am

just as an aside about the US....my friend just flew to YYZ from Miami via a change in Charlotte on a US airline this past Wednesday.....he said every seat on both aircraft was full, virtually nobody but himself and a couple of others were wearing masks, no social distanceing at either US airport and no obvious testing or extreme cleaning protocols anywhere in the US airports or aircraft. Only when he reached YYZ was there any type of covid protocols being practised.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genetk44
just as an aside about the US....my friend just flew to YYZ from Miami via a change in Charlotte on a US airline this past Wednesday.....he said every seat on both aircraft was full, virtually nobody but himself and a couple of others were wearing masks, no social distanceing at either US airport and no obvious testing or extreme cleaning protocols anywhere in the US airports or aircraft. Only when he reached YYZ was there any type of covid protocols being practised.
No Sir, no Covid in the US, haven't you heard? :-)
Old May 23, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
It’s going to be great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.