Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same Flight, Same Delay, Different Compensation Amounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Flight, Same Delay, Different Compensation Amounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
1. I have never seen anything like it if from/to a Canadian city.

2. YQ and other taxes, almost CAD 1900? Really?
I literally spent 3 minutes searching for the first thing that came to mind.

Fare 1: Carrier AC PKX66SNC SFO to FRA (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code P
Covers SFO-YVR (Business), YVR-YYC (Business), YYC-FRA (Business)
CA$456.52
Fare 2: Carrier AC PKX66SNC FRA to SFO (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code P
Covers FRA-YUL (Business), YUL-SFO (Business)
CA$456.52
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ)
CA$1,695.60
United States Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY)
CA$7.30
US International Departure Tax (US)
CA$49.40
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
CA$5.90
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)
CA$5.20
United States Customs User Fee (YC)
CA$7.70
United States Immigration User Fee (XY)
CA$9.10
Germany Passenger Service Charge International Departure (RA)
CA$48.80
Germany Airport Security Charge (DE)
CA$14.50
Germany Air Transport Tax (OY)
CA$86.40
Subtotal per passenger
CA$2,842.90
Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
CA$2,842.90

It took me 1 try to find a Canadian fare under 3500, and 3 tries to find one under 2800.

I'm not saying you can easily find under 1000, but under 3500 is easy.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'll give you $250 for the 30% off code

But I have no comment on your predicament.

I'd definitely take 30% off over $1000 cash though.
It depends on the booking, for me $1000 cash is more valuable since I usually only book solo trips in Y that rarely exceed 2 grand. Hopefully this isn't the case for too much longer

The frustrating thing is that for my colleagues, it seems as if AC compensated them based on the actual delay (as required) whereas my 30% code was phrased to seem like it was a goodwill gesture to an inconvenienced E50K. The email was almost identical to the time I was given a 30% code for not receiving a hotel during mechanical IRROPS.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by marke190; Jan 21, 2020 at 12:21 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
He should send a message threatening to book 16 people in J on one flight with the code vs. the moolah.
I was thinking about that but it's limited to 4 people
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by marke190
It depends on the booking, for me $1000 cash is more valuable since I usually only book solo trips in Y that rarely exceed 2 grand. Hopefully this isn't the case for too much longer

The frustrating thing is that for my colleagues, it seems as if AC compensated them based on the actual delay (as required) whereas my 30% code was phrased to seem like it was a goodwill gesture to an inconvenienced E50K. The email was almost identical to the time I was given a 30% code for not receiving a hotel during mechanical IRROPS.
What was the cause of the delay/cancellation?

Weather and mechanical don't entitle you to anything under the regulations, so I'm honestly shocked at the $1000. If it's not a "covered" reason, and you asked me what I'd expect for an 11 hour delay, I wouldn't expect $1000 as an SE in paid J.
eyeball1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What was the cause of the delay/cancellation?

Weather and mechanical don't entitle you to anything under the regulations, so I'm honestly shocked at the $1000. If it's not a "covered" reason, and you asked me what I'd expect for an 11 hour delay, I wouldn't expect $1000 as an SE in paid J.
The initial rolling delays were due to crew constraints (covered under the regulations) but the ultimate cancellation of the flight was due to the discovery of a huge gash in the wing (mechanical).

I realize that technically I'm probably not entitled to anything at all and should be grateful for the 30% code but it's the fact that my non-status, standard-fare colleague was handed out $1000 cash is what's confusing to me.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by marke190
The initial rolling delays were due to crew constraints (covered under the regulations) but the ultimate cancellation of the flight was due to the discovery of a huge gash in the wing (mechanical).

I realize that technically I'm probably not entitled to anything at all and should be grateful for the 30% code but it's the fact that my non-status, standard-fare colleague was handed out $1000 cash is what's confusing to me.
This is an interesting point. Is there any rhyme or reason why AC gives compensation as discount code vs. credit voucher? In my experience I think 95% of my compensation has been as discount codes.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by eyeball1
This is an interesting point. Is there any rhyme or reason why AC gives compensation as discount code vs. credit voucher? In my experience I think 95% of my compensation has been as discount codes.
Lately I've been getting 15% off codes for wifi issues and eCoupons for everything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.