Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, this is the correct thread.

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by pete_coach
Look, the 3AM email said all flights were cancelled.
As I said, I suspect that the BCN to FRA was the on cancelled and as a result, the connections for the remainder of the journey could not be met so, they cancelled all the flights.
They then found alternative flights.

Note: I do not know your acronyms... HX'd or PNR.
HX= cancelled flight plan
PNR = passenger name record aka booking number
pete_coach likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus,Marriott, Hilton, Starwood,Delta Privilege,Fairmont Presidents Cl
Originally Posted by canadiancow
LH 1139 (aka AC 9183) was cancelled.

They other two flights were not cancelled.

This should be posted in the LH forum.
I asked here because it was an Air Canada booking.
Maybe you cannot help, or don't want to but I was looking for some kind of assistance from someone. Your pushing me to another forum is of no help for the question I asked. Thanks anyway, I hope someone can help.
5Miles likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:13 pm

Your pushing me to another forum is of no help for the question I asked.
Perhaps it's a hint that you might seek EC 261 compensation from Lufthansa, who was responsible for your delay. You have no grounds to seek anything (other than original routing credit) from Air Canada, who seems to have gone out of their way to rebook you on perfectly serviceable replacement flights on a competing alliance.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I asked here because it was an Air Canada booking.
Maybe you cannot help, or don't want to but I was looking for some kind of assistance from someone. Your pushing me to another forum is of no help for the question I asked. Thanks anyway, I hope someone can help.
No, I'm telling you that this is a Lufthansa issue, not an Air Canada issue, and therefore, you should go talk to people who know how to do this on Lufthansa.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Today I was flying a connecting ITIN from ATL-YYZ-YYC. ATL-YYZ was delayed due to a late inbound aircraft. The Inbound was delayed "due to additional time needed to address pilot scheduling issues." I now need to overnight in YYZ. Resulting in an arrival about 11 hours late. Am I entitled to $1K in compensation? Should I ask for it?

​​
dr_torch and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Today I was flying a connecting ITIN from ATL-YYZ-YYC. ATL-YYZ was delayed due to a late inbound aircraft. The Inbound was delayed "due to additional time needed to address pilot scheduling issues." I now need to overnight in YYZ. Resulting in an arrival about 11 hours late. Am I entitled to $1K in compensation? Should I ask for it?

​​
I certainly would. Pilot scheduling / reserve crews are entirely within AC control.

Plus any good credit card insurance? If so I assume you need a $500 hotel suite, $500 steak dinner, or whatever your CC limit is.

Plus new clothes if you are stranded halfway in transit.
​​​​
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
I certainly would. Pilot scheduling / reserve crews are entirely within AC control.

Plus any good credit card insurance? If so I assume you need a $500 hotel suite, $500 steak dinner, or whatever your CC limit is.

​​​​
Flight was booked on a Canadian amex plat. I have decent insurance. Also it was paid J (Z).

AC did get me a room at the ALT, so I should book a room at the gateway as well and find the best meal in Mississauga?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC did get me a room at the ALT, so I should book a room at the gateway as well
I'm pretty sure insurance would consider that fraud because it's meant for what the airline does NOT cover, and they've clearly given you a reasonable hotel.

But yeah, if you have $500 to blow on dinner, then... blow it.

My last trip delay claim actually exceeded $500 because I had 3 meals and a day room. AC gave me an overnight hotel, but I needed one at the new connection city so I could work.
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:21 pm

I was only joking about the second hotel. But the meal OTH is legit.
dr_torch and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:46 pm

Did AC not give you meal voucher(s)? Can raid the pantry / shop / bistro at the ALT as a little extra bonus.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by zappy312
Did AC not give you meal voucher(s)? Can raid the pantry / shop / bistro at the ALT as a little extra bonus.
ALT restaurant was closed on arrival. And they tried to keep my meal vouchers! They may have a pantry.

Edit: made it to the keg just in time. Not sure if the amex insurance pays for wine, but I'm flying business class and I have a platinum amex so why wouldn't I have wine with my filet.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Apr 8, 2022 at 9:25 pm
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ALT restaurant was closed on arrival. And they tried to keep my meal vouchers! They may have a pantry.

Edit: made it to the keg just in time. Not sure if the amex insurance pays for wine, but I'm flying business class and I have a platinum amex so why wouldn't I have wine with my filet.
The one time I used it, wine with dinner was not an issue.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

​​​​
So I wrote in yesterday and Air Canada replied today that they will give me the $1K, plus my Ubers to/from the Keg, plus $15 towards my $120 bill at the Keg.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Flying YYZ-EWR Yesterday
- 4.5 hour delay because they needed to tow an aircraft to our gate and had no crew to do so. Finally boarded, couldn't push back because of lack of ground crew.
- After a long taxi, we got grounded because of weather in EWR. Subsequently cancelled, same reason. 1.5 hours to get off the plane back at the gate, no ground crew.
- I made it to LGA roughly ~10 hours after my originally planned arrival time.

Do I have a case for compensation? If there was a plane towed to the gate on time in the morning, we would have avoided the weather and cancellation. I took a screenshot of the delay reason showing 'air craft towing' around the 4.5 hour mark, but subsequent reasons show weather-related.

Thoughts?
Old May 23, 2022, 8:17 am

Flew yvr to yyz red eye may 14 J ticket for this segment. Initially late due to pearson ground staff issues, then at 0130 wide body plane deplaned because AC poached our pilot for another flight. They got replacement pilot at 0330. We missed our connection on Copa to quito thru Panama, ended up >12hrs late at final destination. Initially customer service refused to help us said call copa, quite rude. Explained that it was an AC fix as their fault. Finally more senior staff stepped in and got us on flight thru bogota.

Unknown at the time rebooking us triggered the cancellation of our return journey. Had to spend last few hours of our trip sorting this out. Got return flight thru BOg and yyz again, later was 2.5 hrs late.

Are we entitled to full cash compensation for 12 hr delay or does it have to be on same airline to get that? What about for AC customer services general ineptitude? Any future trips to south america i will likely stick to AC/UA for thr longer segments doesnt seem like AC and copa/avianica interweave seamlessly enough for star alliance partners.

Last edited by tdiddy23; May 23, 2022 at 8:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.