Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, this is the correct thread.

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:08 pm

If I had a flight cancelled due to “crew constraints due to COVID 19”, had to pay for a hotel overnight, then on the morning flight we were delayed 2.5 hours due to airport limitations, what kind of compensation am I entitled to (in theory)? The interesting thing is that I arrived at my destination way more than 3 hours later but the second flight was only 2.5 hours delayed.

Are airport limitations considered within the airlines control?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
I had a weekend trip to Denver a couple weeks ago. Friday morning to Sunday evening.
Friday flight (YVR-DEN) was cancelled after check-in (about 18 hours before the flight). Crew constraints was given reason.
They rebooked me Saturday afternoon, which would have given me about ~18 hours in Denver after transfers, etc. I got my refund (kind of, I lost my gift card I had used to partially book so I ate that portion, but that's my fault).
Filed a complaint. A week later was offered a $100 credit. Replied to the email declining it and quoted the recent ruling on crew constraints. Will follow-up when (if) I get a response.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Flight cancelled today (YYZ-DCA) ostensibly because of weather. Other flights within the hour take off to IAD no problem, including Air Canada flights departing 10min earlier. I don't buy this weather excuse for a cancellation, and now am arriving over 6 hours later with a US connection. Do you folks think I could make an argument for compensation? I did not receive anything otherwise. Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Flight cancelled today (YYZ-DCA) ostensibly because of weather. Other flights within the hour take off to IAD no problem, including Air Canada flights departing 10min earlier. I don't buy this weather excuse for a cancellation, and now am arriving over 6 hours later with a US connection. Do you folks think I could make an argument for compensation? I did not receive anything otherwise. Thanks
There's a bunch of thunderstorms and lightning in the DCA area right now. You wouldn't call that weather? Additionally, there was FAA traffic management in place at DCA due to weather this afternoon. I think that's a valid weather claim.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I was travelling from YOW - YYZ - DFW on 15th July 2022
On the day of travel, my initial YOW - YYZ flight was cancelled due to technical issue with aircraft and i was auto booked on the next one which also kept getting delayed and finally arrived I believe almost 4 hours late in YYZ (Reason for the delay again: an aircraft technical issue)
The connecting direct flight (YYZ - DFW) was out rightly cancelled that day and AC provided with meals and overnight stay.
The reason given for YYZ - DFW cancellation was: "an unforeseen aircraft maintenance issue" - This came in a SMS Text which I still have.
The next day then put me on a connecting flight (YYZ - AUS - DFW) with the last leg on American and I ended up reaching home about 20 hours late.

Will I be eligible for compensation and how much?
I have logged a request with AC and got a standard email stating that they will respond in 30 days.

Lastly, any idea how they compensate you? Do they send a check? OR Do they pay back the Credit Card that was used to buy the flight? If they refund the credit card, then thats a problem as this was a company paid flight and i would rather get paid personally rather than the money going back to my employer (for the hassles i had to go thru)
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Lastly, any idea how they compensate you? Do they send a check? OR Do they pay back the Credit Card that was used to buy the flight? If they refund the credit card, then thats a problem as this was a company paid flight and i would rather get paid personally rather than the money going back to my employer (for the hassles i had to go thru)
Refunds go to the original form of payment, as applicable, and as they should.

Compensation for lack of care, etc goes to the passenger.

What you're looking for here is compensation, not a refund.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cmill007
Refunds go to the original form of payment, as applicable, and as they should.

Compensation for lack of care, etc goes to the passenger.

What you're looking for here is compensation, not a refund.
You are right. I am looking for compensation and not a refund. Glad to know that the Compensation goes to the Passenger.
Any idea how that is disbursed? Is that a Check that is sent?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
You are right. I am looking for compensation and not a refund. Glad to know that the Compensation goes to the Passenger.
Any idea how that is disbursed? Is that a Check that is sent?
For Canadians, it's an Interac e-Transfer normally, but I'm sure they have some other means for foreign passengers without Canadian bank accounts.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
I received a message from AC that the flight was delayed due to "ground handling delays". I was on an inbound from MSP to YYZ. The aircraft outbound from YYZ was picking up passengers at MSP to return to YYZ. The aircraft departing YYZ to pick us up had already taxied from the gate and sat on the runway for 4 hours. We were therefore 5.5 hours delayed in returning to YYZ. Is this considered a domestic or international flight. I'm asking because they pay compensation for "domestic " if over 3 hours delayed but "International" requires a 6 hour delay to receive compensation. Any info is helpful.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Flight cancelled from YYZ to PIT today, reason 'pandemic-related factors beyond our control such as industry-wide labour shortages and government entry requirements'. That sounds like... no reason at all. However, they say it isn't their fault so doubt I will be getting compensation.

Also they wouldn't tell us properly where to go, told us we would talk to 'customer service in arrivals', none of us could find wherever that was, went up to the priority check-in desk, they said they wouldn't help me even though they helped a woman after me who was also on my flight, and then finally went through the regular line only to be told that they couldn't book me a hotel. I was told to book my own and then I would be reimbursed, which I'm not sure I believe.

Last edited by CanadianGnome; Aug 7, 2022 at 9:23 pm Reason: Adding clarity around compensation piece
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by CanadianGnome
Flight cancelled from YYZ to PIT today, reason 'pandemic-related factors beyond our control such as industry-wide labour shortages and government entry requirements'. That sounds like... no reason at all. However, they say it isn't their fault so doubt I will be getting compensation.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/air-c...tion-1.6544234

"The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA), a quasi-judicial federal body, says treating staff shortages as a safety matter violates federal rules."

"If a crew shortage is due to the actions or inactions of the carrier, the disruption will be considered within the carrier's control for the purposes of the APPR. Therefore, a disruption caused by a crew shortage should not be considered 'required for safety purposes' when it is the carrier who caused the safety issue as a result of its own actions," the agency said in an email."
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee

Also they wouldn't tell us properly where to go, told us we would talk to 'customer service in arrivals', none of us could find wherever that was, went up to the priority check-in desk, they said they wouldn't help me even though they helped a woman after me who was also on my flight, and then finally went through the regular line only to be told that they couldn't book me a hotel. I was told to book my own and then I would be reimbursed, which I'm not sure I believe.
This exact same thing happened to my parents last month flying YYZ > YSJ except this was what they were told by the Priority Check in desk. Ended up spending nearly $300 out of pocket on an airport hotel and when they followed up with AC they were offered a 30% off base fare coupon for their troubles. I replied on their behalf mentioning that the APPR says they must cover hotels and even CC'd the CEO of AC and got squat back from them. Seems like we will need to appeal this to the CTA for resolution. This is one of the many reasons why I won't fly AC anymore. Sure I'll use the points I bought from them to fly quality partners like Etihad or EVA Air, but I won't bother flying them if they can be avoided. Indeed, I'm flying Delta (WestJet) nonstop from Toronto to LA next year for this very reason.

-RooFlyer88
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Update: got a response 1 hour after asking for the hotel reimbursement, cheque is being mailed. Hurray for that at least!
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:52 am

Update: got a response 1 hour after asking for the hotel reimbursement, cheque is being mailed. Hurray for that at least!
What link or who did you talk to to get reimbursed?
I have a large hotel bill to send AC.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by tracon
What link or who did you talk to to get reimbursed?
I have a large hotel bill to send AC.
I second that request as my parents are still holding the bag for a $280 hotel bill as a result of AC cancelling their flight hours before departure and all they got was a silly coupon for 30% off base fare which for all intents and purposes is valued at $0.

-RooFlyer88

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.