Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, this is the correct thread.

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by anishm
Use the Arbitration service - https://www.aviationadr.eu/ - I have found them helpful in the past. Your brother was owed 600 Euros so he could file with the Arbitration service as well.
Good to hear that about ADR. Do you know how they take to resolve a case? I recently filed a case against AC to the ADR for 600 euros for a delayed flight.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Not sure where to post this but hoping someone can help us. My daughter flew to the UK in June and her bag was delayed for about 4 days, she bought some essentials and submitted the claim when she got back (we are talking approx $500). We got a case number and then nothing, she has emailed and called looking for her reimbursement and just been told to email again in a week or hung up on. I tried the SE email but they couldnt help.
Any suggestions on what to try next as she is a student and needs the funds back
Make sure to submit the expenses to the right category or else it might not be evaluated properly. Specifically, baggage issues --> delayed or damaged baggage --> submit expenses. When my bag was delayed at the end of the month last month, it took about 2 weeks for them to respond and reimburse.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Make sure to submit the expenses to the right category or else it might not be evaluated properly. Specifically, baggage issues --> delayed or damaged baggage --> submit expenses. When my bag was delayed at the end of the month last month, it took about 2 weeks for them to respond and reimburse.
She has a case number and we have called multiple times they can see her claim they are just saying there is a backlog. It has now been over 8 weeks since we filed the claim
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Booked a single itinerary UA. The return VCE-YYZ-ORD is operated by AC. YYZ-ORD was cancelled resulting in an overnight stay arriving around 18hrs late in ORD. The website says the reason for cancellation is "due to crew constraints"
Seems like it meets the criteria for APPR and EC261. Thoughts on how to proceed?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you want your money now and with less hassle, I'd go for EC261.

I assume APPR is more money? I guess there's not much downside in asking for that first, but I'd expect them to say no.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you want your money now and with less hassle, I'd go for EC261.

I assume APPR is more money? I guess there's not much downside in asking for that first, but I'd expect them to say no.
I mean, when contacting AC, do I just ask for compensation? or should I specifically specify APPR or EC261?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
I mean, when contacting AC, do I just ask for compensation? or should I specifically specify APPR or EC261?
Send us a email --> flight delay or cancellation claim --> Submit a delay/cancellation claim

This automatically submits a claim under APPR even though the form doesn't specify it.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Send us a email --> flight delay or cancellation claim --> Submit a delay/cancellation claim

This automatically submits a claim under APPR even though the form doesn't specify it.
Then how does one request EC261?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: Altitude SEMM
I flew 835 yesterday. The flight was delayed 3 hours our of Munich due to a problem with one of the two air conditioning packs that bring fresh air into the plane. This caused me to miss a connecting flight YYZ-YYT and arrive home five hours later than scheduled. I think I am able to request EU 261/2004 compensation, but am wondering if the amount based on delay applies only to the flight departing EU or includes any subsequent further delays arising from missed connections.

They kept us on the aircraft for the full delay. Thankfully, they opened back and front doors for air circulation. Prior to departure, I overheard one flight attendant say they would be doing the flight with one pack working, while the pilot came on before departure and mentioned we were "fully functional." I carry a CO2 monitor and the reading was ~1500ppm for most of the flight, and that seems high (by comparison, YYZ-YYT on an A220 last night was about 600ppm for most of the flight).

Sadly, I think 835 was the COVID Express (Germany has the highest reported case numbers in the world right now) judging by the number of people coughing, sneezing, and wheezing. We'll see in the next few days how well my N95 worked.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
EC261 compensation is based on arrival at your final destination. I had a mechanical cancellation on YYZ-SFO when LHR-YYZ was on time, and I got the full payment amount.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
EC261 compensation is based on arrival at your final destination. I had a mechanical cancellation on YYZ-SFO when LHR-YYZ was on time, and I got the full payment amount.
Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flight cancelation reason shenanigans?

I was flying YYZ-IAH tonight. When I got to the airport the flight was delayed by one hour due to crew availability. About an hour before the revised departure it was canceled due to “destination airport limitations”. The flight was due to arrive into terminal A at 23:19 (after the original delay).

looking at the houston arrivals board, there are tons of flights arriving from every airline right up until the final arrival at 00:38. Air Canada is the only one which is canceled. So how does a delay move from something that sounds like it is within their control to something out of their control??

there is zero customer service here at YYZ, we were just taken back through Canadian customs and told to call a phone number for which I’m now on hold to try to get rebooked onto something better than the miserable flight they rebooked me on.

I am assuming advocating for a hotel will be a losing proposition tonight and I’ll end up claiming on travel insurance instead.

edit: screenshots below

Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:28 am

This is possible. Many airports have very restrictive landing slots and if an airline misses their slot, they can't get another. Haven't experienced it in Houston, but have in New York, where a 30 minute delay turns into a 3 or 4 hour delay because they have missed their landing slot. Having said that, if the original delay that caused them to miss their landing slot is within their control, then the extension is still due to the original cause of the delay and can and should be fought for compensation
Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Just filed for AC8581 today YUL-DTW. A technical issue earlier in the day cascaded all the way later on. We were just over, but the return DTW-YUL tonight will easily be over 3 hours. First time doing this, hope it goes smoothly.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
At EWR and AC canceled due to technical issues, compensation eligibility?

I am at EWR for AC 8655 non stop to Ottawa on an aeroplan ticket scheduled to leave at 9:00 this morning. The flight was cancelled due to technical issues from “an earlier flight”. Rebooked by AC on a United Express at 8:29 tonight, almost 12 hours after my scheduled flight.
AC gave me a $20.00 voucher and when asked for help with Uber etc. , said to deal with Customer Service but would not advise on possible compensation for Uber and other expenses.
any help with possible compensation would be much appreciated. Uber back and forth to my family is around $150.00, thanks in advance for guidance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.