6. SE - Super Elite
7. Everyone else
Print Wikipost

Meal Priority on AC (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Last week on AC112 - YVR-YYZ

SD took SE’s meal choice first, and I was like the 3rd SE that got asked for my meal choice. I got my appetizer, but not my entree.

When everyone got their entree, an FA came up to me and apologized that my meal choice was no longer available because of something to do with a mix-up, and because I was sitting in the last row. She offered me the other option, but I declined.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Many SDs and their crew still don't know the other SE PIL codes beyond SE and SM. I'm saying this from experience and chit chatting to FAs/SDs about this. This is another possible reason as to why the higher SEs do not get asked with priority. What I don't understand is the ignoring of a code that is "unknown", instead of learning what it is (I'm sure there are many, many codes, but still... if it has an "S" in front of it, at least inquire on whether it is related to being some flavour of SE).
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Many SDs and their crew still don't know the other SE PIL codes beyond SE and SM. I'm saying this from experience and chit chatting to FAs/SDs about this. This is another possible reason as to why the higher SEs do not get asked with priority. What I don't understand is the ignoring of a code that is "unknown", instead of learning what it is (I'm sure there are many, many codes, but still... if it has an "S" in front of it, at least inquire on whether it is related to being some flavour of SE).
If the first letter is S, they're SE.

And since I don't think SM technically has priority over SE (pretty sure it was "X/XM, then SE/SM"), they should just go by X* then S*.

But it is harder now that in just the SE line, it's STR ST SMR SM SER SE.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If the first letter is S, they're SE.

And since I don't think SM technically has priority over SE (pretty sure it was "X/XM, then SE/SM"), they should just go by X* then S*.

But it is harder now that in just the SE line, it's STR ST SMR SM SER SE.
Exactly to my point... so I'm not sure why they say they don't know what "ST" is and hence was ignored.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:00 pm

I cleared security, went to a restaurant, ordered a hot meal, ate it, and boarded my flight that was supposed to push back 9 minutes ago.

Needless to say, I was not planning to eat.

But before asking me, the FA started telling people they were out of ravioli.

So I said I just ate and don't even want the tray, but out of curiosity asked if my status was on there. She said she'd check.

SD came back a few minutes later and said it's definitely on there but she [the FA] didn't know how to read it properly.

The ravioli was definitely my second of the two choices, and I ate at SFO because my first choice looked bad. But this is a case where they clearly screwed up.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:04 pm

YUL-YVR this week, FA was clearly taking orders in an ordering that is not front to back.

Good distribution of passenger preferences though - I believe even the last of 28 J passengers had all 4 choices (which of course means that they could have asked front to back while respecting meal priority). There were 12x, 12x, 8x, 8x of the options loaded.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
YUL-YVR this week, FA was clearly taking orders in an ordering that is not front to back.

Good distribution of passenger preferences though - I believe even the last of 28 J passengers had all 4 choices (which of course means that they could have asked front to back while respecting meal priority). There were 12x, 12x, 8x, 8x of the options loaded.
40 meals for 28 pax? Wow.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
40 meals for 28 pax? Wow.
I was pleasantly surprised. Given the number of people asked before me, I fully expected not to get the beef based on previous experiences where few of those were loaded. There were 12x beef on this flight.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Traveling with a SM friend a few days ago domestically in paid J. Due to our previously booked flight being canceled when they did the route cutting a couple months ago, we were put in row 4 instead of row 2 on our old flight as that was all that was left on the new one.

SD did not come by and ask him his meal choice first, and by the time it got to us it was gone after row 2. First 8 people all took the same entree. SD did not know about meal priority and basically told him too bad write in because she’s never heard of it. Or claimed not to anyway.

Worth writing in for?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:10 am

I would, just bear in mind it's not a published benefit.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 11:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
My experience the past few months suggests that Jazz FAs need a stern memo about meal priority. I can't remember the last time they actually followed meal priority on a CR9; it seems to pretty consistently be front to back.

I did confirm a few weeks ago, with someone who had access to the information, that the SOP on Jazz is the same as mainline. It just seems no one cares to follow it.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:08 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
My experience the past few months suggests that Jazz FAs need a stern memo about meal priority. I can't remember the last time they actually followed meal priority on a CR9; it seems to pretty consistently be front to back.

I did confirm a few weeks ago, with someone who had access to the information, that the SOP on Jazz is the same as mainline. It just seems no one cares to follow it.
I get your point Adam, but are they actually running out of your (or anyone's) meal choice? If there even is one.

I am sincerely curious.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I get your point Adam, but are they actually running out of your (or anyone's) meal choice? If there even is one.

I am sincerely curious.
I had an "issue" on SFO-YVR (mainline) where they screwed up, and since I was in row 4, they were out of one of the two options. But I'd eaten at an airport restaurant instead, so it wasn't a big deal.

I can't even remember if the one they were out of was the one I would have wanted. I believe so. But it didn't really matter.

It's one of the problems with so many status codes now. What's SMR? What's SMC? What's SEC? What's ST? Which ones are eligible for priority? (hint: if it starts with X or S, you're eligible)
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

I am sincerely curious.
Yup. Happened this morning. No pancakes by the time they got to the SE in row 4.

And this is not at all the first time. It actually seems pretty common that they're down to one choice for the last few people, because unlike international or PLH flights, I don't think there's much over-catering on Jazz, if any.

Another frequent CR9 flyer and I were talking about this a while back, and we have frequently not gotten our choice when sitting in row 4, and sometimes even row 3.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yup. Happened this morning. No pancakes by the time they got to the SE in row 4.

And this is not at all the first time. It actually seems pretty common that they're down to one choice for the last few people, because unlike international or PLH flights, I don't think there's much over-catering on Jazz, if any.

Another frequent CR9 flyer and I were talking about this a while back, and we have frequently not gotten our choice when sitting in row 4, and sometimes even row 3.
Didn’t get mine in Row 3 just a few weeks ago. First 8 people all ordered the exact same dish. Then it was out. No priority, SD didn’t care, told me to write in. Got the infamous 10% coupon code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.