FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Meal Priority on AC (2020 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2003570-meal-priority-ac-2020-onwards.html)

rok233 Jan 9, 2020 3:29 pm

Meal Priority on AC (2020 onwards)

I was in business class recently and noticed that the flight attendant skipped the first couple of rows and served a couple in the third row their meal first. Could someone tell me which order they decide to serve the meals?

Stranger Jan 9, 2020 3:31 pm

Status-based.

canadiancow Jan 9, 2020 3:35 pm

1. VIP
2. SE
3. Everyone else

rok233 Jan 9, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. I figured it had something to do with status. I was also wondering if it had anything to do with the lowest fare business vs flexible business because there's usually quite a bit difference in the prices between the two.

RangerNS Jan 9, 2020 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by rok233 (Post 31930339)
Thanks for the replies. I figured it had something to do with status. I was also wondering if it had anything to do with the lowest fare business vs flexible business because there's usually quite a bit difference in the prices between the two.

None.

If they have time to fully cater the flight, even OpUps are treated the same. For less than fully catered flights, late OpUps or eUps, then the late upgrades may be SOL.

HerpaYvr Jan 9, 2020 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31930364)
None.

If they have time to fully cater the flight, even OpUps are treated the same. For less than fully catered flights, late OpUps or eUps, then the late upgrades may be SOL.

If they have the meals, even opUps are fed based on status
1. VIP
2. SE
3. Everyone else

Dec 24 YUL - YYC there was one confirmed in J, I as well as four others were Opups. The confirm upgrade and myself were asked what we wanted as a meal, me first followed by the confirmed J. The others were told, as I overheard the gate Agent come on board and tell them, as they were complimentary upgraded there was no meal for them.

RangerNS Jan 9, 2020 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr (Post 31930503)
If they have the meals, even opUps are fed based on status
1. VIP
2. SE
3. Everyone else

Dec 24 YUL - YYC there was one confirmed in J, I as well as four others were Opups. The confirm upgrade and myself were asked what we wanted as a meal, me first followed by the confirmed J. The others were told, as I overheard the gate Agent come on board and tell them, as they were complimentary upgraded there was no meal for them.

So, exactly what I said? Late upgrades are bottom of the list if they don't have meals.

YEG USER Jan 9, 2020 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31930638)
So, exactly what I said? Late upgrades are bottom of the list if they don't have meals.

My experience has been that even if they don't have the meals it goes by status. I once got an op up and received first meal choice. It wasn't until after I'd been served and eaten that I realized that some paid J didn't get a meal.

yyznomad Jan 9, 2020 6:31 pm

ACYYZ/SD has set the record straight for us before on this oft-asked question.

IIRC (and ACYYZ/SD can correct me/us if I'm/we're wrong), SOP is that op-ups are only to receive a meal if one is available to them. If they are not enough, then those with ML*1 on the PIL and their BPs will be asked last.

And as for SOP, it it is very common for SDs to not follow SOP regarding meal order priority, so don't take your experiences with a grain of salt.

Oh, and the crew have zero clue what what type of J fare one has paid, and it has nothing to do with that.

As per cow an others above, the SOP is literally 1. XM/XE, 2. SM/SE, 3. the rest of the cabin.

IluvSQ Jan 9, 2020 7:43 pm

In the last 3 years since I have dropped from SE, first to 75K MM and now to 50 K MM, I have always had my meal orders taken ahead of general cabin.
SE's first, then me and it seems other MMs, and then the rest of the cabin. This applies to all trans-Pacific flights I have been on.
It may not be policy, but it seems to be always the case.

yyznomad Jan 9, 2020 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 31931074)
In the last 3 years since I have dropped from SE, first to 75K MM and now to 50 K MM, I have always had my meal orders taken ahead of general cabin.
SE's first, then me and it seems other MMs, and then the rest of the cabin. This applies to all trans-Pacific flights I have been on.
It may not be policy, but it seems to be always the case.

Yes, non-SE/VIP MMs often get lumped in with the first or second wave of order taking. A nice touch for status-plebs, but not SOP. :)

canadiancow Jan 9, 2020 8:12 pm

Grumgle grumble paid J SE no meal grumble grumble.

yyznomad Jan 9, 2020 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31931143)
Grumgle grumble paid J SE no meal grumble grumble.

Make sure bovine has his status on his BP next time so it gets on the PIL. :p

canadiancow Jan 9, 2020 8:59 pm

He had 3 of the 4 choices.

I'm talking about no meal.

daniellam Jan 9, 2020 9:39 pm

Perhaps they should take account of allergies (ones where there are no special meals for) as well?

Eg. No shellfish, no eggs, no beef (but can't have Indian spices so HMNL is out of the question) etc?

"What would you like to have for dinner sir? Any allergies?"