4. ST - Super Elite 2+ MM
5. SM - Super Elite 1 MM
6. SE - Super Elite
7. Everyone else
Print Wikipost

Meal Priority on AC (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
So I did a few days in HNL and upon my return HNL-YVR-YYZ-YOW, I wanted to benefit from my $150 Switch Health PCR test (good for 3 days) so I did a YOW-YVR-HNL-YVR-YOW return in a day, all in J. I was the first one to be asked for my meal preference and addressed by name on all flights. I sat in 5K so I had a good view of the cabin and actually looked to see if I would be asked. Last Saturday I did a day trip YOW-YYC-YYZ-YOW on an award J ticket and I happened to sit beside a fellow SE MM, he was asked first and I was asked second. I was not going to ask him if he was revenue and class of fare, but since I was on a reward ticket I figured revenue goes first when passengers are equal.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE
I flew YYZ - LHR and back last week. In both cases I was upgraded R and traveling as SuperElite. And in both cases I, my wife, and my daughter were asked our meal choices before other passengers. In fact, in both cases my wife and daughter, who were on a separate PNR from me and who have no status, were asked before me (presumably because they were seated ahead of me). I have never quite figured out the formal relationship between meal choices and family members of a SE passenger, but I’d say that nearly 100% of the time the privilege is piggybacked to them.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by supatight80
On an upgraded flight YYC FRA last week, I was asked first as SE. On a paid J flight NRT YVR 2 weeks ago, front to back. No meal priority for SE
Front to back does not mean you didn't get meal priority.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
So I did a few days in HNL and upon my return HNL-YVR-YYZ-YOW, I wanted to benefit from my $150 Switch Health PCR test (good for 3 days) so I did a YOW-YVR-HNL-YVR-YOW return in a day, all in J. I was the first one to be asked for my meal preference and addressed by name on all flights. I sat in 5K so I had a good view of the cabin and actually looked to see if I would be asked. Last Saturday I did a day trip YOW-YYC-YYZ-YOW on an award J ticket and I happened to sit beside a fellow SE MM, he was asked first and I was asked second. I was not going to ask him if he was revenue and class of fare, but since I was on a reward ticket I figured revenue goes first when passengers are equal.
The current issue is with regard to eUpping, not paid or reward J... but glad to see you did get asked first since there exists many SDs who DGAF even for paid J SE (well they wouldn't know upgrades from revenue). I wonder if XE gets similar DGAF treatment.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I was asked meal preference ahead of most of the cabin both on my trip to LHR in Feb where I upgraded to J and my trip last week to DUB where I upgraded to PY. Return trip from DUB in upgraded PY there was no meal priority.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So the PIL now correctly shows R'd SEs as... SEs?
Old Mar 21, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So the PIL now correctly shows R'd SEs as... SEs?
I assume so since they asked me for meal priority on a upgrade.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
AC 306 today YVR-YUL. Meal orders were taken from front to back with no recognition of status seemingly anywhere. I was asked last despite being SE MM. I did get my choice so not an issue, but even at the end of the flight, with the SD thanking passengers, there were no comments related to status or loyalty. @ACYYZ/SD is this something new where SD's have stopped recognising status?
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
AC 306 today YVR-YUL. Meal orders were taken from front to back with no recognition of status seemingly anywhere. I was asked last despite being SE MM. I did get my choice so not an issue, but even at the end of the flight, with the SD thanking passengers, there were no comments related to status or loyalty. @ACYYZ/SD is this something new where SD's have stopped recognising status?
My guess is that it's still status quo... the good SDs will make the effort, and the rest DGAF... considering just recently upthread with anecdotal information that some SDs do acknowledge.

Speaking of which, I really need to make an effort in sending in my positive reviews/accolades (on the AC website comment form) of the SDs that make an effort as it GOES ALONG WAY and sticks in my brain. Minimal effort for such a huge return. At the same time, I also need to make an effort to provide reviews for the less than good SDs. I usually just try to forget about the crappier SDs and move on to the next flight.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi

Originally Posted by yyznomad
My guess is that it's still status quo... the good SDs will make the effort, and the rest DGAF... considering just recently upthread with anecdotal information that some SDs do acknowledge.

Speaking of which, I really need to make an effort in sending in my positive reviews/accolades (on the AC website comment form) of the SDs that make an effort as it GOES ALONG WAY and sticks in my brain. Minimal effort for such a huge return. At the same time, I also need to make an effort to provide reviews for the less than good SDs. I usually just try to forget about the crappier SDs and move on to the next flight.
EdmFlyBoi, I think you just got a sour SD on your flight.
In reverse, a Good SDs can get the entire team to perform in better overall.

When I flew 311 last week, I had my meal priority was taken halfway even though I was seated towards the rear of J.
It was as-if meal order was taken from SE > Non-Status.
Once I had my meal choice taken, the FA on my side went to Mama SHF next who is a P25.

The SD went around twice for greetings, once at boarding and once at 15 mins prior to landing, then stood by at L2 at deplaning.
One of the PY FAs came to help out with the dessert cart.

yyznomad, does writing in reviews work?
I would actually write one for this group, it's rare to see AC crew be competitive vs. a CX crew.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:27 pm

On 792 yesterday, as I and another SM were sitting down (having boarded fairly late), an FA came over to take our meal orders. My companion knew he wanted the Salmon. I said I needed to check the menu.

As I quickly glanced at it, I recalled it was what I was complaining about in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34140192-post428.html, but before I could say "veal", she finished her list of three choices (none of which were "veal").

So I said "veal".

"Oh I'm sorry sir, we're out."

And I hate doing this, but... "But I'm Super Elite Million Miler".

She checked her sheet, where there was a big hand-written SM on both of our seats, and said she'd sort it out.

Later, she came back and said they'd miscounted, and they had an extra. I don't know if that's true, but I got my veal.

I've had chicken on non-SS AC far too often this year to have it again. The appetizer was salmon, so I did not want a salmon main. And the pasta is carbier than I wanted (I declined crackers, dessert, and fruit for the same reason). So it really was veal or nothing.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Your story reminds me of last week when the guy across the aisle tried to pull rank for the beef when he was told they were out.

“I’m an Elite 35k so I should get my choice.”

Credit to the SD for handling it gracefully. I hope the fellow enjoyed the cod.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:13 pm

Well the difference is a 35K has no entitlement to any priority, whereas an SE does.

The website doesn't say "board at your leisure, but only if you don't care about meal choices".

They should not be finishing meal orders before boarding is complete if a chunk of priority customers are not on yet.
Plumber likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
SD on YYZ-YYT took meal orders following priority last week with some slight modifications. She first went to the two people that I knew were SEs in the back row of J before coming to me (50K) immediately after. I know that they aren't required to follow priority once SEs have been asked for their choice, but it is always nice when they continue down the list to 75K, 50K, etc. She also acknowledged the three of us by name while taking meal orders and when we were leaving the aircraft in YYT. I was only aware of three people in J having status including myself, but there could have been others.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I don't disagree with anything you've said. You have meal priority because you earned it in the way AC said you must. They need to honor that, and it would be best if they didn't put you in a position of having to remind them of your status.

I was just relaying a funny story.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.