Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition and 2019 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
My pet peeve about FRA is that there's no way to get drinking water (excluding lounges) for less than 5.50 EUR. And that gets you half a litre.

An annoyance at best for FFs, but a giant middle finger to the thousands of people from developing countries that connect through FRA daily.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by eigenvector
My pet peeve about FRA is that there's no way to get drinking water (excluding lounges) for less than 5.50 EUR. And that gets you half a litre.

An annoyance at best for FFs, but a giant middle finger to the thousands of people from developing countries that connect through FRA daily.
Not according to their website.

Free drinking water is available at a total of 30 drinking fountains in Terminals 1 and 2. In addition, conveniently located “bottle filling stations” are being installed where you can very easily fill empty bottles. There are also free warm water dispensers in case you need warm water to make tea or prepare baby food.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC 75k, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pewpew
Huge airport, lineups can be long,...

​​​​I remember I once arrived at 7am or so, got in line for entry immigration, and then as I was the next person, the immigration officers decided to close down the booth I was lining up for. So I had to stand in another line. Half an hour later, it happened again. FRA is not a great airport to connect through.
I have EU passport, forgot about how painful immigration can be...

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I would take it over most EU airports ... especially BRU (never never) & CDG. T
I may be very much going against the crowd here, but I actually really like BRU! Their *G lounge is amazing, with great amenities. Nice and easy airport to connect through...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:15 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aburrsir
I may be very much going against the crowd here, but I actually really like BRU! Their *G lounge is amazing, with great amenities. Nice and easy airport to connect through...
Not if you have to spend over an hour to get through immigration to exit Schengen.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Not if you have to spend over an hour to get through immigration to exit Schengen.
This. BRU is horrible for:
  • Entering Schengen
  • Exiting Schengen
  • The on-time performance of the YUL-BRU AC flight
I would choose pretty much any other airport AC mainline flies to in Europe from YYZ before I chose BRU.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Ahem. The forum lounge thread is actually meant for non-aviation topics as there are destination forums in which to debate preferred EU airports.

Thanks,

tcook052
AC forum moderator
aburrsir likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I'm not often in the office so the daily trivial things that happen don't tend to bother me. Lately I've been here more frequently and this morning I find myself very annoyed by one particular thing.

What is difficult about using a headset for your Skype call? Given the global nature of my company/business, we are all on calls all the time, but why on earth do I have to listen to 3 or 4 different calls from neighboring offices all at once?

As I said, trivial. But man it's grinding my gears today.
I find this is becoming more and more of an issue as companies move into the "open plan is great" mentality. Or as I call it "cost saving and penny pinching" mentality.

I spent a LOT of time on the phone, because I'm in Canada and I have one colleague in Canada, that I barely work with, whom is so far up North he may as well be in another country. I work with people across the US, Europe, South America and India. So we communicate via (roughly) IM (50%), phone (40%) and email (10%). I don't want most people around me to hear my conversations but I'm aware that even on a headset it can be loud. I used to sit next to a colleague so loud (while on headset) I had people complaining they could him more than me

Not saying this is the case everywhere, but I know of quite a few companies who seem to think it's a great employee experience to sit within 50cm of each other. I don't think there is anyone I'd like to sit 50cm away from for 8h+ a day.

And I'm talking generally in the above, I'm more than aware that "right now" there are other considerations!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
A month ago I was convincing a medical student (i.e. zero income) not to take out a $200k line of credit and invest it all in index funds to take advantage of the seemingly endless bull market.

Now, I don't have the heart to ask them what they ended up doing.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
A month ago I was convincing a medical student (i.e. zero income) not to take out a $200k line of credit and invest it all in index funds to take advantage of the seemingly endless bull market.

Ouch. And too late to tell them about index puts either.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

Worse: med student LOCs range from 275-350k
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I bought back into stock market today after exiting over two years ago and started a position in Royal Caribbean that has seen relentless selling over the last few months.

Yes the situation is bad, but not to the point where 60 percent of the market cap is wiped out.

​​​​
kenlor likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
So it is my son's thirteenth birthday today. The cake is in the oven. We measured him this morning and he is now 5'8". None of his pants fit anymore, so we are off to find a new wardrobe next week. I thought that boys had their massive growth spurts between 15 and 17, not this early. It is going to be an expensive next couple of years.
Bohemian1 and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:01 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well, that was interesting.

Got off the Skytrain this morning and they are running a thermal scanner on pax getting off the train before they leave my downtown station. I suspect it's just a test / baseline but maybe a preview of coming attractions?

Has anyone noticed them doing anything like this in Toronto or Montreal?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by smallmj
So it is my son's thirteenth birthday today. The cake is in the oven. We measured him this morning and he is now 5'8". None of his pants fit anymore, so we are off to find a new wardrobe next week. I thought that boys had their massive growth spurts between 15 and 17, not this early. It is going to be an expensive next couple of years.
I went from 5'3" to 6'1" from 13-14. My parents still complain about how expensive that was. It sucks wearing clothes and shoes that are too big, but what are parents to do?

Hopefully it doesn't go on for months and months.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I try very hard to be a positive person. I've got 2 thoughts I'm trying to focus on today:

1) At least I can move freely around my country unlike some of my colleagues and friends.
2) I'm blessed enough that a tanking market actually means something to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.