Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC cancels flight for "maintenance" but...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP 50k

Was on AC8456 today from Montreal to Boston. I saw our load was very light. About an hour before boarding they cancelled out flight for "maintenance issue" so the girl at customer service said no compensation.

I then walked the terminal and saw our exact plane that was supposed to fly to Boston is now flying to Washington Dulles instead at 1:35pm. Doesn't seem like a maintenance issue to me.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to who I can complain to about this? Do you think it's even worth it?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What likely happened is that the aircraft scheduled to IAD had a mechanical issue, so they swapped it with a flight with a lighter load.

Aircraft are swapped all the time for operational issues. The IAD flight was more important, so it got the working aircraft.

I don't think you'd get anywhere with compensation since the aircraft finally assigned to your flight did, in fact, have a mechanical issue.
YVR72 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
This is a perfect example of why giving airlines a huge carve-out for maintenance makes the new Canadian passenger compensation regulations almost meaningless.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP 50k
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What likely happened is that the aircraft scheduled to IAD had a mechanical issue, so they swapped it with a flight with a lighter load.

Aircraft are swapped all the time for operational issues. The IAD flight was more important, so it got the working aircraft.

I don't think you'd get anywhere with compensation since the aircraft finally assigned to your flight did, in fact, have a mechanical issue.
Thank you for this. I submitted a complaint anyways with the government just to see what happens.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by eigenvector
This is a perfect example of why giving airlines a huge carve-out for maintenance makes the new Canadian passenger compensation regulations almost meaningless.
I dislike the idea of there being a disincentive to hold an aircraft for maintenance. Safety & security come first and anything which disincentivizes that is a poor idea.

This incident appears to have been handled the way most carriers would handle the issue worldwide. Some flight was to be cancelled, so which one?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
So which excuse is closer to the truth:
  1. The flight was canceled due to maintenance.
  2. The flight was canceled because we needed it to replace another aircraft that needed maintenance.
  3. The flight was canceled for operational reasons.
  4. The flight was canceled for safety reasons.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sopwith
  2. The flight was canceled because we needed it to replace another aircraft that needed maintenance.
For number 2 to be a possible explanation, you have to believe that FINs are assigned in advance with no intent to change.

They're not. They change all the time. The "flight" wasn't needed to replace something else.

An aircraft went mechanical. They had to cancel a flight. They chose this one.

Isn't everything "operational"? And under the law, maintenance is a subset of safety.

As such, maintenance is always more precise than safety, but that doesn't mean they're not both legally accurate.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:21 pm

This seems like the logical way to handle the situation.
If the highly loaded flight was cancelled for maintenance, then more people would be inconvenienced. And none of them would be eligible for compensation. That leaves a whole lot more people in a pickle before the holidays.
It makes sense to cancel the lightly-loaded flight.
And it doesn't make sense to force the airline to compensate those passengers, because if not, it would create an incentive to cancel the higher load flight and not compensate anyone.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
in Europe maintenance has compensation

it's completely ridiculous that they removed that from the compensation in Canada
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy

it's completely ridiculous that they removed that from the compensation in Canada
After a few years of stats they may update the law.

But I think the EU rule changed via the courts; maintenance is a choice. Maybe the inspect and repair as necessary part should be lifed. The 5000 hour inspection should be 2500hr.

Air Canada chooses to buy from OEMs who write very friendly PIMs, they can choose to pressure for more reliable PIMs.

PAX don't have that power.

AC, the OEMs and Lloyds should settle it among themselves.
tshirt likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:02 pm

If maintenance doesn't give compensation, and neither does weather or ATC, what reasons would? What else is there? Missing crew I guess?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
This seems like the logical way to handle the situation.
If the highly loaded flight was cancelled for maintenance, then more people would be inconvenienced. And none of them would be eligible for compensation. That leaves a whole lot more people in a pickle before the holidays.
It makes sense to cancel the lightly-loaded flight.
And it doesn't make sense to force the airline to compensate those passengers, because if not, it would create an incentive to cancel the higher load flight and not compensate anyone.
I'm confused. Are you saying that the cancelled flight passengers should not be compensated? (agree, they can swap out the plane to minimize the compensation but they still need to compensate the inconvenience caused to the lighter-load passengers).

Especially an hour out of takeoff. At an hour before, passengers will have already started to arrive at the airport with the expectation of a flight. That the plane that was originally scheduled to transport them was swapped out to service another flight is not their fault. I can see these swaps being challenged as something within AC's control. I'd be curious to see what the comments in the system say as well as what a court challenge would result in.
Fizzer and pitz like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Knowing AC as we do, I think we can expect to hear 1, 3 and 4 at various times. I doubt we’ll ever hear 2, at least not on the record.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I dislike the idea of there being a disincentive to hold an aircraft for maintenance. Safety & security come first and anything which disincentivizes that is a poor idea.
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy

So here are two different sides of the equation. I can agree in part to both sides, although no reason is given for the second view other than the implied "I want my money!". I think the point made by @Often1 makes it not ridiculous that Canada removed maintenance from the compensation.

The other thing that comes to mind with the whole compensation thing is that it does raise the cost of flying. It is somewhat like paying for insurance for every single flight you take. The airlines are not ultimately bearing these compensation costs; they're passing it on to the passengers. But we will sometimes buy flight insurance to help cover IRROPS. I guess that's basically what we're doing here, by force, on every flight.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have not heard of major safety issues in Europe as a result of mechanical being deemed subject to compensation. Also, I agree to some degree that a very slight increase to costs may occur due to compensation but Ryanair is still flying people for $30 so I think the impact on fares is overblown. Not including mechanical in compensation opens a huge loop hole that we all know airlines will take advantage of. Everything will be cancelled due to weather (apparently anywhere in the network) and mechanical! Also, if airline one has major costs for compensation and 2 others do not then the costs may come out of profits as opposed to hiking fares that may not get matched.
Bohemian1, nexusCFX and Sopwith like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.