Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does AC no longer offer pre-departure drinks in international business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AC no longer offer pre-departure drinks in international business class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
If you have ordered a special meal beforehand and even if you board late, the crew would have to come to you to confirm your special meal and ensures the PDB conversation (whether they initiate it or you initiate it). And this should work regardless whether you are SE.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYT82
If you have ordered a special meal beforehand and even if you board late, the crew would have to come to you to confirm your special meal and ensures the PDB conversation (whether they initiate it or you initiate it). And this should work regardless whether you are SE.
Then you, my friend, are lucky.

I just had SPMLs for the HKG trip. None of the crew on any of the flights came to me to confirm (as they did on CX, with the ISM showing the order to me on her iPad). I actually had to check with galley for each flight - only to discover it was never boarded at all for AC 101. Still, that particular crew was excellent and the recent AC 737 crew, both PDB'd the cabin with style.

(PDB'd....new verb? )
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by 24left
Then you, my friend, are lucky.

I just had SPMLs for the HKG trip. None of the crew on any of the flights came to me to confirm (as they did on CX, with the ISM showing the order to me on her iPad). I actually had to check with galley for each flight - only to discover it was never boarded at all for AC 101. Still, that particular crew was excellent and the recent AC 737 crew, both PDB'd the cabin with style.

(PDB'd....new verb? )
Yeah, if they don't confirm with me and they don't have my pre-ordered meal, then it's $150. There had been times when I flew short TATLs and prayed they missed my meal.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: various
Out of 20 international long-haul flights this year, they have omitted pre departure drinks a couple of times for no obvious reason. On one occasion I saw a flight attendant go past all the signature class passengers in the second cabin with the tray of plastic glasses of drinks for PY, but J received nothing.

I was reluctant to say anything and be branded a complainer and maybe get extra stuff on my food, ha ha. (joking, kind of)

On both occasions it really just looked like a disorganized crew and sloppy work..

Two things that really bug me about AC on a regular basis, lack of consistency in on-board service and chronic delays.

On a flight earlier this year the FA taking meal orders (not the SD) chatted with every passenger loudly for 3-4 mins and got to me (SE in 8K on 789) dead last after about half an hour. He then announced loudly, "oh jeesh I guess I should have asked you earlier". No apology and then he said "I'm hoping you want the chicken or fish". Luckily I did want the salmon but I was fuming inside.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The answer to the original question is:

Yes, pre-departure drinks for all Signature Service (including International Business Class) is SOP and still alive and well.

If you did not get your PDB or PDB was not executed, then it is merely a "one off".
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Out of 20 international long-haul flights this year, they have omitted pre departure drinks a couple of times for no obvious reason. On one occasion I saw a flight attendant go past all the signature class passengers in the second cabin with the tray of plastic glasses of drinks for PY, but J received nothing.

I was reluctant to say anything and be branded a complainer and maybe get extra stuff on my food, ha ha. (joking, kind of)

On both occasions it really just looked like a disorganized crew and sloppy work..

Two things that really bug me about AC on a regular basis, lack of consistency in on-board service and chronic delays.

On a flight earlier this year the FA taking meal orders (not the SD) chatted with every passenger loudly for 3-4 mins and got to me (SE in 8K on 789) dead last after about half an hour. He then announced loudly, "oh jeesh I guess I should have asked you earlier". No apology and then he said "I'm hoping you want the chicken or fish". Luckily I did want the salmon but I was fuming inside.
That's almost a situation where I'd be tempted to ask for something I don't want.

However, I'd rather eat my first choice.

But if I actually wanted the beef, I'd REALLY push for it.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yyznomad
The answer to the original question is:

Yes, pre-departure drinks for all Signature Service (including International Business Class) is SOP and still alive and well.

If you did not get your PDB or PDB was not executed, then it is merely a "one off".
I have had "one off" in decades of flying. It's not an optional service nor is it attributed to seniority. In those very rare occurrences where PDB is not offered, I can safely say that is due to the late arrival of the aircraft at the gate and subsequent late boarding, late boarding of the galley, or a galley anomaly (missing or used trolley, etc.) which in turn might adversely affect OTP. Given the connectivity importance of any FRA flight, as the Regulars will attest, any deviation of a few minutes could severely impact dozens of tight connections at the downline station. Thus a decision is made. A five to ten minute delay to complete the PDB offering, or the need to bypass the service for the sake of OTP & the Connectors. Hopefully a double after take-off with Your understanding will offset the disappointment. Certainly I was not present, but would wager this was the most plausible scenario.

For the record...my "one off" was 872 to FRA.
canadiancow, RatherBeInYOW and ecc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.