Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What is it with AC getting so patriotic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

It more or less started with the Sandra Oh commercials, but we also have Calin which, in his last two EnRoute columns focused heavily on the economic impact that AC has on the Canadian economy and "Canadian identity".

I like it... but the skeptic in me is wondering what this is really about...
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: *$ Green
AC playing the patriotic card doesn't seem new at all in my books....
j_the_p likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
AC playing the patriotic card doesn't seem new at all in my books....
Indeed as a few other examples in recent years spring to mind.

Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: hahaha
During Olympic broadcasts when the only advertisers can be Olympic sponsors (or Canadian Olympic Team sponsors) the only transportation ads you'll see are from Air Canada (and Chevrolet I guess)

That said, Air Canada has been milking "Go Canada Go" for so many years as I've been watching the Games, so it's not a new marketing angle they've been doing. Until they get outbid to transport elite Canadian athletes or the Olympics end up collapsing over itself, I can't see Air Canada losing the patriotic aspect when it comes to the Olympics. I bet an Air Canada commercial ran in between periods leading up to Crosby's golden goal, or at the half when CANWNT won bronze in London, which is why it's burned into my head that AC flies our flag to the Olympics (effective marketing, eh?)

https://olympic.ca/press/air-canada-...c-partnership/

Brevity and errors aided and abetted by my beloved phone

Edit: also, Tim Hortons plays the patriotic card as well, and anecdotally I see that it attracts many foreigners to try the brand when they visit Canada or encounter a store abroad, even if us Canadians are more insightful to how the chain's quality has declined over the years. I'm far from a marketing expert, but perhaps AC is employing this strategy (in tandem with others) to encourage more non-Canadians to connect with AC?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Isn't it part of the "job" of being the nation's flag carrier?
songsc and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
It more or less started with the Sandra Oh commercials, but we also have Calin which, in his last two EnRoute columns focused heavily on the economic impact that AC has on the Canadian economy and "Canadian identity".

I like it... but the skeptic in me is wondering what this is really about...
Uhm Westjet...Spirit of Canada. Loon Sounds during the morning wake up....
Canada is a brand in the eyes of marketing Gurus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.