FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is it with AC getting so patriotic?
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:55 am
asovse1

Programs: hahaha
During Olympic broadcasts when the only advertisers can be Olympic sponsors (or Canadian Olympic Team sponsors) the only transportation ads you'll see are from Air Canada (and Chevrolet I guess)

That said, Air Canada has been milking "Go Canada Go" for so many years as I've been watching the Games, so it's not a new marketing angle they've been doing. Until they get outbid to transport elite Canadian athletes or the Olympics end up collapsing over itself, I can't see Air Canada losing the patriotic aspect when it comes to the Olympics. I bet an Air Canada commercial ran in between periods leading up to Crosby's golden goal, or at the half when CANWNT won bronze in London, which is why it's burned into my head that AC flies our flag to the Olympics (effective marketing, eh?)

https://olympic.ca/press/air-canada-...c-partnership/

Brevity and errors aided and abetted by my beloved phone

Edit: also, Tim Hortons plays the patriotic card as well, and anecdotally I see that it attracts many foreigners to try the brand when they visit Canada or encounter a store abroad, even if us Canadians are more insightful to how the chain's quality has declined over the years. I'm far from a marketing expert, but perhaps AC is employing this strategy (in tandem with others) to encourage more non-Canadians to connect with AC?