Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are most people getting status with AQM or AQS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are most people getting status with AQM or AQS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I'm in favour of AC moving the benchmark higher to 150K AQM / 140 AQS and $25K AQD for SE qualification. Or doing something like UA (GlobalServices) or AA (Concierge Key) has for those FFers who exceed 200K AQM / 180 AQS and $40K AQD.

Considering that 4 x YYZ-YVR-MEL in J will get you over 100K AQM and would roughly be $40K AQD, it isn't that difficult to easily achieve SE. That raises the question of is someone who potentially only flies 4 times annually in J worthy of the highest frequent flier status?
It would seem to make more sense to simplify the tiers (eliminate E35 and E75) and then add a top tier level such as GS or Hon Circle. The SE benefits are pretty valuable to SE members and, with it being achievable with reasonable levels of travel, is also valuable to AC (as has been pointed out). Most carriers set the 100K miles per year as their top tier status (if the VIP/super high levels of travel are excluded). I suspect a portion of frequent fliers would defect to other carriers (if they are able) if the bar was set higher.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
​​​​​​

I think you have a warped sense of people's travel patterns. Making SE requires a massive amount of travel by any reasonable standards. It may not seem like that much to FTers, but 100K AQM or 95 AQS is a decade's worth of travel for a lot people. The stats that AC published ages ago showed steep drop-offs while moving up the tiers. Why do you think it would be different for SE? I'd suggest even the cow's numbers are generous; if there are 10,000 SEs, I doubt there are 2,000 200K+ AQMers.
The numbers from january 2006 up to SE was 4.8m basic members, 57k prestige, 68k elite, and 9k super elite. Not sure how elite was split 13 years ago, but you had 7% of all status that were SE, meaning from 25k AQM (134k status holders) to 100k AQM (9k SE100K), only 7% flew the extra 75k AQM. Imagine the drop between 100 and 150, 200, 300 etc.

that's before AQD, so although there might be way more frequent travelers and status holders overall, the ratio between classes has likely a steeper dropoff for SE seeing how many have a hard time getting the $20K AQD

If I were flying more than I am right now I'd stop looking at metal and right after $20k concentrate on reaching higher perks for AQM since AQD "stops" at $20k where AQM has a lot of perks at higher levels.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
​​​​​​

Profitability is also a complex beast. Someone who spends $20,000.01 on 30K AQM of AC metal flights and earns another 70K AQM on *A partners may be more profitable to AC than someone who spends $25,000 to fly 100K AQM on AC metal.
It might be essentially impossible to judge profitability of a particular customer when you consider the routes they fly. A customer who regularly buys last minute J tickets on 98% loaded flights would provide far more value than someone who buys tickets, 30 days out, on some new experimental route that has 50% load... Maybe not even covering costs, if you can allocate down to an individual PAX.

Are status programs for good customers, or a mechanism to drive customer behavour? Well, yes.

AQD measures quite accurately customers who spend money. And drives customers to spend money.

How and on what is kinda irrelevant.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
​​​​​​
Making SE requires a massive amount of travel by any reasonable standards. It may not seem like that much to FTers, but 100K AQM or 95 AQS is a decade's worth of travel for a lot people.
Just wanted to underline this. I do 6-8 trips a year -- more travel than many jobs, but imho, hardly any kind of hardcore road warrior.

When I list off my travel schedule to my non-frequent-flyer friends & family, they unfailingly look at me like I've got a toaster on my head.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shadowspar
Just wanted to underline this. I do 6-8 trips a year -- more travel than many jobs, but imho, hardly any kind of hardcore road warrior.

When I list off my travel schedule to my non-frequent-flyer friends & family, they unfailingly look at me like I've got a toaster on my head.
It's an interesting perspective because I look at someone like @24left and think "she must be flying LH/ULH weekly" only to find out that my AQM is roughly 15% more than her. But it didn't (doesn't) appear to me that my flight schedule is as frequent as hers. All in the eye of the beholder.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC75K, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Do you ever get offered a status buy up from AC?

How much was your $20K+ AQD? Are we talking like $40K+ AQD?
I'm currently sitting at ~$24k AQD and 74600 miles. Will pass 75k in November. I've never been offered a status buy up, but if I hit 90k this year, we will see.

-A.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC75K, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Are you traveling to the moon, in stowage, on a days notice? How is that even possible?
Paid J from YYZ-SYD comes in at ~11k.
Paid J from YYZ-GRU comes in at ~5-6k
Paid J from YYZ-FRA comes in at ~4-6k

That's three trips, 6 segments, and at least 20k. Add in all of the YYZ-SFO, YYZ-LHR, YYZ-MEX, and other misc travel in economy, and it's not hard to see AQD and AQM completely out of alignment.

-A.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I am exactly in the ratio for AC bean counters.

Getting 100k AQM and $20k AQD on my next flight next week.
I will likely have less than 1k over both.

But that's for early recognition as I have 1-2 more trips planned (very calm fall season)
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This year I'm well over on AQM but hardly have any AQS yet. EYW will fix that.

2018: 264k AQM 99 AQS
2017: 195k AQM 77 AQS
2016: 73k AQM 125 AQS
2015: 88k AQM 103 AQS
2014: 117k AQM 106 AQS
2013: 104k AQM 105 AQS
2012: 37k AQM 22 AQS

I started out with AQM, then quickly had both, then the AQM dropped, and now they're both over the thresholds again.

It's amazing what a few paid intercontinental J trips will do to shift the balance from AQS to AQM.
Just to update this, I'm currently at 29 AQS and on target for 132 AQS.

Assuming I don't book any more flights.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:53 am
Original Poster

AQD from Sept 13 flight posted today Sept 19. So almost a full week later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.