Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are most people getting status with AQM or AQS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

Looking at the dashboard, are most people getting their status with AQM or AQS or pretty much equal proportions?

I wonder if it's generally easier with one or the other or they made the threshold about equivalent.

Hope it has not been asked lately!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Depends on your flight patterns. If you're commuting domestically and/or to the US you're going to make it on segments most likely. If you've got a handful of J flights from Canada to Asia then you're making it on miles by a long shot, same thing to Europe but you need more flights (obviously).

Personally, I think every year but one I've had my status earned on miles. This year I re-qualified for 2020 SE on miles a couple of months ago, and I'm going to qualify on segments as well by the end of the year (I am already on 83) ... yay me

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; Aug 31, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC E50K
AQS for me. YYZ-ORD is my usual route so AQM is hard to come by
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
2016: 89,635, 96
2017: 104,747, 131
2018: 141,348, 127
2019, 76,205, 88 (posted, to date)

Both-ish?

This year the miles will finish off just squeaking out over 100k, but possibly in the ~135 range for AQS, assuming I continue my commute to ORD.

Last edited by RangerNS; Aug 31, 2019 at 8:07 pm Reason: ..., xml comment?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Speaking as an AQM based qualifier .... ugh, AQS qualification seems like a terrible way to (have to) do it.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: TK *G
I mostly (used to, not on AC anymore) fly long haul J so AQM for me. I don’t think I ever had over 20 AQS.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
My bookings are always Economy Standard. It's hard to build much in the way of AQM that way, so it's all about segments for me. The fact that I'm always flying from an outlying connector airport (YAM) "helps" after a fashion too -- most of my round trips are 6 AQS or more.

As to which one is easier -- it depends a lot on what your bookings are and how much you can tweak them. Qualifying on segments is regarded as the more punishing of the two. If your bookings average more than 1,000 AQM per segment -- or if you have some way to make it so that they do -- you should focus on qualifying via AQM. Otherwise you're left with qualifying on AQS.

I kicked off a related discussion on this last year:

Altitude Status Qualification Strategy: Miles vs Segments?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Every year I’ve qualified for status it has been with AQS. My usual commute is from Toronto or London ON. to YHZ, and I have a stop at YUL or YOW along the way. The occasional trip out to YVR mixed in as well. Without the extra stops I would most likely qualify for P25K, however with I’m going to have E50K for 2020. Currently at 43 AQS but only 21,000 AQM. As a pilot and aviation enthusiast I have no issue spending more time on planes especially if it gets me higher status. Most of my flights are in Standard so AQM is out of the question. This will probably be my last year playing the status game, as I’ll be applying to flying jobs next year.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canopus27
Speaking as an AQM based qualifier .... ugh, AQS qualification seems like a terrible way to (have to) do it.
I agree with this. I'm at 140ish AQM and 50ish AQS. Doubling my AQS would crush me.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
In my 20 years as SE, it has always been AQM (or miles before that). Even with one of my unlimited passes, I doubt I get enough segments to come even close (besides unlimited pass segments don't count in the Altitude world or any other world for that matter).
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Definitely AQM since all my travel is from Canada to out of N. America.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
For me, in 2002 it was Elite by segments.
Ever since then it has been qualifying miles/AQM, with the exception of last year.

(and some of us now obtain status by doing 0 AQM, 0 AQS, and 0 AQD )
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
With more and more direct flights to everywhere I guess unless you commute the majority of people qualify by AQM.

​​​​​
​​
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:16 am

I have qualified for Elite 50K every year on AQM except last year, when I had something like 36 segments between YOW and YYZ, almost all at 64 AQM each. So for once it was AQS. But for the current year i have already requalified on AQM, and should hit 75K for the first time.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
My 19 years of SE were all on over 100K miles, usually with maximum 30-odd segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.