Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: How to get F from North America to South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: How to get F from North America to South Africa?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Just recently flew YYZ-GRU-JNB on points in J.. all lie-flat on AC and SA and a fairly new aircraft on SA. It was a good routing.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Plumber
Just recently flew YYZ-GRU-JNB on points in J.. all lie-flat on AC and SA and a fairly new aircraft on SA. It was a good routing.
This seems to be an increasingly popular transit point for JNB as I've seen several through connections on AC090/091.
Plumber likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
It sounds like the OP is probably referring to a J/F cabin, not just F exclusively.

I personally have flown F to South Africa on an Aeroplan reward ticket. The routing was PEK -> JNB with a technical stop in SZX. The experience was awesome (great cabins, food, attendants, and amenities like Pajama/Slippers). That being said, the Shenzhen transfer was super annoying, as we had to deplane, clear some kind of immigration thing, and get back on all around midnight to 1am. Beijing immigration is also annoying with lots of process.

I'd recommend you instead try to fly in business to South Africa. Way easier from Europe (so many airlines). From the Asia side, I think Ethiopian and Air China are the main ones that fly into Asia from Africa - SQ won't release premium cabins.
Alright, I want to thank everyone for the incredibly helpful information! I am open to flying J as some people were speculating but I've never flown J or F but it seems like J will be more than fine. I also want to note to avoid AC because of their ridiculous surcharges so I'd most likely do YUL - ZRH - JNB or do YYZ- ORD or JFK because there are direct flights to JNB from JFK as well. I was hesitant about taking ET because their reviews are mediocre but that's also a very popular option so I will definitely check out these possible routing.

Air Canada in business looks nice and all but the surcharges are over $1000 which defeats the whole purpose and your points per mile will drop a lot with that charge
Plumber and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Woah! ET mediocre? They've got a very modern fleet and I enjoyed my flight thoroughly. I'd take ET any day over UA, SA, TP, SN, MS, and anyone else who might take you part or whole way to South Africa.

The FAs were warm, attentive, and eager to show off Ethiopian culture, the transit process, and of course, the food. After I chose the more western option, the FA still brought out the traditional J option for me to try. It was a chicken stew of some kind, if I recall.

Originally Posted by Derman0524
Alright, I want to thank everyone for the incredibly helpful information! I am open to flying J as some people were speculating but I've never flown J or F but it seems like J will be more than fine. I also want to note to avoid AC because of their ridiculous surcharges so I'd most likely do YUL - ZRH - JNB or do YYZ- ORD or JFK because there are direct flights to JNB from JFK as well. I was hesitant about taking ET because their reviews are mediocre but that's also a very popular option so I will definitely check out these possible routing.

Air Canada in business looks nice and all but the surcharges are over $1000 which defeats the whole purpose and your points per mile will drop a lot with that charge
ACYYZ/SD likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Derman0524
Alright, I want to thank everyone for the incredibly helpful information! I am open to flying J as some people were speculating but I've never flown J or F but it seems like J will be more than fine.
Note sure what Canadian aircraft seating is like, but with older 2 class (first/coach) USA aircraft domestic (old) first class seating is more like premium economy on a better long haul international aircraft or a poor/regional short haul business class. But there is no common agreed criteria on what a business class or first class seat should be. Long haul business class is now tending lie to flat seats with privacy screens. But does vary a lot.

You will be happy with a modern long haul business class.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

That's what some of the reviews are. What about Egypt Air? Going to South Africa isn't bad with usually routing through Europe but coming back always takes me with Egypt Air with 3 stops.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I flew MS last week. It's a dry airline, but I don't drink, so it didn't affect me at all. Transiting through CAI is... interesting.

You follow some guy, he stops to hug and kiss a few other fellow workers along the way. They talk and chew the fat for a bit. Then the counter agent remembers why you're standing there, looks a few things up, and hands your BP/passport back to you.

The terminal is functional, lounges small-ish, and gets crowded quickly. Smoke wafts through the hallways, and duty-free shops aren't the best.

Check out this forum for more on ET: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...-airlines-471/
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
Woah! ET mediocre? They've got a very modern fleet and I enjoyed my flight thoroughly. I'd take ET any day over UA, SA, TP, SN, MS, and anyone else who might take you part or whole way to South Africa.

The FAs were warm, attentive, and eager to show off Ethiopian culture, the transit process, and of course, the food. After I chose the more western option, the FA still brought out the traditional J option for me to try. It was a chicken stew of some kind, if I recall.
Was surprised by that as well. ET is often reviewed as Africa's premier airline. Well run, stable, modern fleet. Flew them once and was suitably impressed
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
ET is often reviewed as Africa's premier airline.
AC is often reviewed as North America's premier airline.
Dolphin2, canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Was surprised by that as well. ET is often reviewed as Africa's premier airline. Well run, stable, modern fleet. Flew them once and was suitably impressed
AC is often reviewed as North America's premier airline.
But a very low bar to jump across. But long haul they are getting better
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Because you're competing with the worst in the world lol. Also, when it comes to redeeming points, AC is horrendous and I wonder what will come of that class action lawsuit
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does SQ actually have a First cabin to SA? I was looking for some RTW flights a while back and could never find them on the tool or on SQ's website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.