Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: How to get F from North America to South Africa?

Question: How to get F from North America to South Africa?

Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
How to get F from North America to South Africa?

Hi there,

This is my first time posting but I'm looking into getting to South Africa from North America (I live in YYZ) on first class ticket with Aeroplan redemption. It looks like Swiss Air is my best bet from JFK - ZRH - JNB but am I even eligible to transfer my points over to Swiss Air for a redemption on an F seat?

I'm also looking at other F seats with different airlines for possibly going to Singapore, New Zealand or Australia on point redemption.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
(... sorry, just wanted to chime in to say the first time I read this, I (subconsciously?) put a "T" in front of your "F" and thought you must be highly exasperated! )
canadiancow, mhy and nnanlno like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Swiss does not release F inventory to non-members of its FFP.

It's just Swiss (or SWISS on the side of each plane) or Swiss International Airlines, by the way. There is no "Swiss Air".
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

I actually just saw that now for SWISS redemptions but thanks for the insight! Maybe I'll save for a Singapore F suite with points
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:27 pm

SQ doesn't release F suites either! They do release F such as SIN-CGK, but that is not in the spirit of what you are looking for, I know.

Originally Posted by Derman0524
I actually just saw that now for SWISS redemptions but thanks for the insight! Maybe I'll save for a Singapore F suite with points
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Does any airline partner release an F suite to points? :/
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:31 pm

I've flown on TG F from BKK-FRA, BKK-CDG.

Back when UA had its 744s, I flew ORD-FRA in F (just 5 years ago)

LH has some F flights, but they tend to release only 2 weeks out.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

hmmm looks like I gotta do more homework and be on the look out. Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:36 pm

NP; the AC FT community is very active and helpful. I learn new things all the time.
Dolphin2 and nnanlno like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Star Alliance F airlines that fly to SA are:

Lufthansa
Swiss
Singapore
Air China

Of these, only Air China and Lufthansa release F space to Aeroplan, and with Lufthansa its only 2 weeks out as previously posted.

There are a number of good business class options from NA to SA, including Austrian, SWISS, and Turkish, although many would argue that it is personal preference as to which is a favourite. The J seat on SWISS and Austrian are the same, and the new J seat on Turkish looks amazing, albeit it's only available on the 787, and these have barely started to arrive. The lounges in Zurich are excellent, and the soft product on both SWISS and Austrian are pretty good. With SWISS, the taxes and add-ons are less than with Austrian.

If I was flying to SA on points, I would likely connect to SWISS in Zurich in J from wherever in NA you are coming from, either on AC or on SWISS if traveling from YUL or the US. I have done it on Lufthansa and it was average at best.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I go to South Africa once or twice a year and have booked my wife and kids at various times on points. In F, only thing I have seen is LH, which opens up 10 days or so out. I have flown in J on SA, LH, Austrian and TK. Most often J routes seen are YYZ-IAD-JNB on SA and YYZ-GRU-JNB on AC and SA. I have also seen TK, Austrian, and L H quite often. Through Europe you usually get a full day layover in either IST, MUC, FRA ot LHR. Austrian and TK go to CPT direct, avoiding the JNB connection if that is whee you are headed. With Austrian you can also avoid the long layover.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:56 pm

I've done YYZ-ORD-ADD-JNB all in J. I enjoyed my flights on ET (they used 788 and A359 for my flights, respectively, but equipment changes occasionally). ADD is chaotic, but if flying J, the ET staff will pull you up to the front of lines if they are lengthy.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Derman0524
This is my first time posting but I'm looking into getting to South Africa from North America (I live in YYZ) on first class ticket with Aeroplan redemption. It looks like Swiss Air is my best bet from JFK - ZRH - JNB but am I even eligible to transfer my points over to Swiss Air for a redemption on an F seat?

I'm also looking at other F seats with different airlines for possibly going to Singapore, New Zealand or Australia on point redemption.
Have you flown long business or first class before?
Airlines & routes with F class is diminishing. This trend will continue.
With many, but not all, airlines the long haul business class today is better than first class a decade ago.

To New Zealand the only airline with F seats is EK Emirates. Possibly QR Qatar. Air New Zealand (Star Alliance) removed F seats years ago. Anyway Air NZ is well know for not releasing award seats. At times some AirNZ award seats can be available from ~50 days out.

With awards you do not "transfer my points over to Swiss Air for a redemption on an F seat?". You book direct with your frequent flyer program for an award on a partner airline, if award availability exists
24left likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
It sounds like the OP is probably referring to a J/F cabin, not just F exclusively.

I personally have flown F to South Africa on an Aeroplan reward ticket. The routing was PEK -> JNB with a technical stop in SZX. The experience was awesome (great cabins, food, attendants, and amenities like Pajama/Slippers). That being said, the Shenzhen transfer was super annoying, as we had to deplane, clear some kind of immigration thing, and get back on all around midnight to 1am. Beijing immigration is also annoying with lots of process.

I'd recommend you instead try to fly in business to South Africa. Way easier from Europe (so many airlines). From the Asia side, I think Ethiopian and Air China are the main ones that fly into Asia from Africa - SQ won't release premium cabins.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
It sounds like the OP is probably referring to a J/F cabin, not just F exclusively.
Given the reference to SQ Suites, I disagree.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.