Question: YUL-PVG and visa-free stay

Old Aug 26, 19, 11:57 am
Original Poster

YUL-PVG and visa-free stay

I'm planning YUL-PVG-NRT-YUL later this year. I'll be staying less than 72h in Shanghai and it looks like I am eligible for a 144-hour visa-free stay in the Shanghai area.

My question is: will AC agents request specific documentation to let me board YUL-PVG, apart from my Canadian passport? Reservation agent just told me "well there are no checks that I know of, but you should check with customs"...
Old Aug 26, 19, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC*A
Confirmation of your outbound flight to NRT, should be sufficient.
Old Aug 26, 19, 12:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Black, HHonors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
In my experience flying from PUS-PEK-HAN on separate tickets (CA PUS-PEK, VN PEK-HAN) I had to show both ticket itineraries and my hotel reservation with my passport at check in. I had the TIMATIC print out of the TWOV process ready to show the check in agent but didn't need it as there were no issues and the agent seemed very familiar with the process. I consulted the following Master Thread which you can check out if you haven't done so.

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
24left likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by balexis View Post
I'm planning YUL-PVG-NRT-YUL later this year. I'll be staying less than 72h in Shanghai and it looks like I am eligible for a 144-hour visa-free stay in the Shanghai area.

My question is: will AC agents request specific documentation to let me board YUL-PVG, apart from my Canadian passport? Reservation agent just told me "well there are no checks that I know of, but you should check with customs"...
Originally Posted by beanie72 View Post
In my experience flying from PUS-PEK-HAN on separate tickets (CA PUS-PEK, VN PEK-HAN) I had to show both ticket itineraries and my hotel reservation with my passport at check in. I had the TIMATIC print out of the TWOV process ready to show the check in agent but didn't need it as there were no issues and the agent seemed very familiar with the process. I consulted the following Master Thread which you can check out if you haven't done so.

@beanie72
Thanks for posting the FT link. I read the thread in preparation for my trip especially after China extended the 72 hour TWOV to 144.

@balexis
I flew AC YUL-PVG and returned TPE-YVR. From PVG-TPE, I flew Juneyao (HO). In addition to the tickets, I also had the TIMATIC print out. Departing YUL, the GAs checked my tickets.

On arrival in PVG, I had to go to the far left end of the immigration area as that is where we had to fill out the blue form for TWOV (there are clear signs and an area to fill out forms before you get into line). On AC 11, the FAs only handed out the yellow form, which was apparently not correct for TWOV. This was last fall. The Chinese agents checked both of my tickets and the TIMATIC and stamped and done.

Originally Posted by balexis View Post
......My question is: will AC agents request specific documentation to let me board YUL-PVG, apart from my Canadian passport? Reservation agent just told me "well there are no checks that I know of, but you should check with customs"...
Was this an AC reservations agent?
Were they suggesting you check with Canadian customs or Chinese?

Instead of saying "well there are no checks that I know of", the simplest answer from that agent should have been to tell you to make sure you have all the required tickets & docs necessary and to check Chinese rules.
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
The Chinese will have no problem with this, you go to the special lane at PVG using the blue form (not the yellow one!) Have ticketprintout handy.

Airline agents on the other hand....

I 've done TWOV about a dozen times in China, and there has almost always been an argument at check-in. So come early.
Old Aug 26, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
I 've done TWOV about a dozen times in China, and there has almost always been an argument at check-in. So come early.
Solid advice, I for one tend to forget about arriving early when traveling to a non-ordinary destination.

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@beanie72
Was this an AC reservations agent?
Were they suggesting you check with Canadian customs or Chinese?
Instead of saying "well there are no checks that I know of", the simplest answer from that agent should have been to tell you to make sure you have all the required tickets & docs necessary and to check Chinese rules.
This was an AC reservation agent. When I asked which customs she was referring to, she got a bit confused and then said I should ask at the nearest Chinese embassy...

Originally Posted by beanie72 View Post

Awesome, thanks for the info and link to that thread.
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:56 pm

Programs: *G
From my experience earlier this year, exactly where to go in PVG to get the TWOV depends on time of day. There were signs for TWOV, but that led you to a a set of closed booths with a sign to go to the immigration booths "opposite". So we got into the long regular line, only to be told that we had to go to Booths 1 and 2 - yes, at the very far left. As far as we could tell, the blue form is identical to the regular form, but you must fill in the blue version that only seemed to be available at the TWOV booths. The one thing they were adamant about was the ticket copy with all passenger names on it. Also, don't bother with the immigration machines as you deplane - that did not appear to achieve anything.

Once we got to the right place and filled in the blue form, it was all fairly fast, but a huge amount of time was spent finding the right place (and not the first time we had followed signage in a Chinese airport, only to be lead astray).

We had no issues checking in - it was with CA in SYD, and they could see the onward flight on BR so knew we were OK for TWOV.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
......So we got into the long regular line, only to be told that we had to go to Booths 1 and 2 - yes, at the very far left. As far as we could tell, the blue form is identical to the regular form, but you must fill in the blue version that only seemed to be available at the TWOV booths........
Yup, far left and blue form as I mentioned and they were available on a table near the line for the immigration where the sign said TWOV 24, 72, 144 hours. As I was waiting I wondered why AC can't hand out both the yellow and the blue.

As for the booths, who knows, maybe moving them around on a daily basis keeps the immigration agents alert.

Originally Posted by fin 645 View Post
.......Also, don't bother with the immigration machines as you deplane - that did not appear to achieve anything.....
Agree. The 2 I tried did not work.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet
I did 2 years ago in Shanghai: no problem at checkin or boarding in YYZ. In Shanghai, at the custom, I was sent to a particular desk (with an officer who probably can speak english...); but no problem there either!
Bon voyage!
(I also had with me all the Timatic doc, but didn't have to take them out at any moment)
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC S100K
I flew YYZ to YUL to PVG a short time ago.

I had trouble boarding in YYZ because the agent wanted to see my visa for China (which, of course, I didn't have). I had to pull up the Wiki and plead my case. Eventually he called for help and let me aboard. It was far simpler after that boarding in YUL. The point is: Be prepared with the material in case you need it. It was also very easy to enter China and get the visa once there.
balexis likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Having Timatic with you will do nothing for an AC agent, if they can't look it up themselves. Last time it took her half an hour, and it turned out she was putting in China as destination rather than transit.

Like to the point where there was no arguing with her, even though I had the rules with me, and other TWOV stamps in passport.
Often1 and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bringing printouts of TIMATIC or pulling it up on your phone and sticking it in some random agent's face is a poor idea and will not accomplish anything.

Arrive at YUL with a lot of extra time. If there is any difficulty, immediately have the agent call her help desk rather than wasting time. This is one of those situations where TIMATIC itself is not helpful as one has to enter the data correctly. If the destination is China, a visa is required. If the destination is Japan with a tramsit through China, TWOV will apply.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Bringing printouts of TIMATIC or pulling it up on your phone and sticking it in some random agent's face is a poor idea and will not accomplish anything.

Arrive at YUL with a lot of extra time. If there is any difficulty, immediately have the agent call her help desk rather than wasting time. This is one of those situations where TIMATIC itself is not helpful as one has to enter the data correctly. If the destination is China, a visa is required. If the destination is Japan with a tramsit through China, TWOV will apply.
The helpdesk opens at 8am. Before that, you're at the agents mercy. Most eventually realize they are wrong....
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Is there also a passport check in PVG for a simple transit layover as opposed to TWOV?
Old Aug 27, 19, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcamp028 View Post
Is there also a passport check in PVG for a simple transit layover as opposed to TWOV?
Yes. All transits, regardless of length, are TWOV by the way.

Search this Thread