Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC to VIE : 1:05 connection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:52 am
Original Poster

AC to VIE : 1:05 connection

Looking at options for an upcoming trip.

One routing is through Vienna with a 1:05 connection to an Austrian Airlines flight. It's the only flight that day taht would work for my destination/

Too risky? My other option is via FRA, 4 hour layover, longer 2nd flight with the connecting.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
I haven't been through VIE but that sounds tight on the other side of what I'm assuming is a TATL flight.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:49 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Visit the M&M forum - there is a dedicated thread about VIE airport.

VIE is one of the most efficient airports in the world. As long as AC is more or less on time (I know, I know) you will make it.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have answered your own question. If AC sells the connection and is delayed, it will be responsible for rebooking you, presumably the next day. How much does a one day delay matter to you?

Balance the risk of an AC delay causing a misconnect against a 4-hour connection at FRA and then ask yourself which is better for you in your situation. This is a matter of risk tolerance not logistics.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
VIE is very efficient. I've done 20 minute connections that required immigration and a trip between terminals.
sokolov and D404 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better at VIE or ZRH than at FRA or LHR. In recent years I have made a one hour connection at LHR but missed a couple probably longer at FRA. Usually because YYC-FRA gets in late. Currently booked with a 75 minutes one at BRU; which is supposed to be OK, except the last 6 out of 10 AC flights into BRU were over an hour late... But that was the only routing I could get for my wife on a reward; giong through FRA would be nicer but just a one hour connection and no plan B getting us to destination on the same day. Through ZRH would work better, except we would need to leave earlier and anyway, no award space.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:34 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
VIE is very efficient. I've done 20 minute connections that required immigration and a trip between terminals.
This... MCT is 20 mins for *A to *A. Although, if you care about priority boarding, carry on space, etc., That may not be ideal.

Although I did an LH to Austrian intra-Europe flight last July, and we landed at a remote gate for bussing to the terminal.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I did a transfer from LH to an Austrian flight to CPT last year. I think I only had 50 minutes and our incoming flight was 15 minutes.late. It took me about 10 minutes to get to the next gate and I was fine.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:01 pm

Assuming you arrive on time, this will work nicely.

If you're delayed a lot, by all means spend a day in Vienna. Take the S-Bahn (rather than the CAT) into town and enjoy yourself!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Have operated several VIE's. Very efficient operation. There is a whole bank of connections in the 1 hr time frame and thus far no issues. It's the permissable 35 minute connections which are doable albeit a bit tight. Tight connections are met by OS Airport staff and facilitated.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:36 am

If routing from AC at VIE, does that not also require immigration, as that will also be the first entry point into the EU? (If continuing onward outside the EU, that'd be different.) I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about it, VIE is not huge and is extremely efficient, just something to take into consideration. Remember, as long as you have an e-passport, you should be able to use the automated gates, which are usually pretty darn quick.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
If routing from AC at VIE, does that not also require immigration, as that will also be the first entry point into the EU? (If continuing onward outside the EU, that'd be different.) I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about it, VIE is not huge and is extremely efficient, just something to take into consideration. Remember, as long as you have an e-passport, you should be able to use the automated gates, which are usually pretty darn quick.

Good point.Its not within the EU,....
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Subject to operational changes, AC's designated gate at VIE is G36 if that helps.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

I bailed out on this idea, going via FRA which gives me a 3.5 hour connection to my ongoing flight. I leave a bit earlier, get there just around the same time. I just didn't feel comfortable looking at the OTP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.