FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC to VIE : 1:05 connection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1983363-ac-vie-1-05-connection.html)

InTheAirGuy Aug 17, 2019 5:52 am

AC to VIE : 1:05 connection

Looking at options for an upcoming trip.

One routing is through Vienna with a 1:05 connection to an Austrian Airlines flight. It's the only flight that day taht would work for my destination/

Too risky? My other option is via FRA, 4 hour layover, longer 2nd flight with the connecting.

jcamp028 Aug 17, 2019 6:37 am

I haven't been through VIE but that sounds tight on the other side of what I'm assuming is a TATL flight.

TPJ Aug 17, 2019 6:49 am

Visit the M&M forum - there is a dedicated thread about VIE airport.

VIE is one of the most efficient airports in the world. As long as AC is more or less on time (I know, I know) you will make it.

Often1 Aug 17, 2019 8:06 am

You have answered your own question. If AC sells the connection and is delayed, it will be responsible for rebooking you, presumably the next day. How much does a one day delay matter to you?

Balance the risk of an AC delay causing a misconnect against a 4-hour connection at FRA and then ask yourself which is better for you in your situation. This is a matter of risk tolerance not logistics.

yyzgigi Aug 17, 2019 8:40 am

VIE is very efficient. I've done 20 minute connections that required immigration and a trip between terminals.

Stranger Aug 17, 2019 9:01 am

Better at VIE or ZRH than at FRA or LHR. In recent years I have made a one hour connection at LHR but missed a couple probably longer at FRA. Usually because YYC-FRA gets in late. Currently booked with a 75 minutes one at BRU; which is supposed to be OK, except the last 6 out of 10 AC flights into BRU were over an hour late... But that was the only routing I could get for my wife on a reward; giong through FRA would be nicer but just a one hour connection and no plan B getting us to destination on the same day. Through ZRH would work better, except we would need to leave earlier and anyway, no award space.

Absolute Aug 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgigi (Post 31426316)
VIE is very efficient. I've done 20 minute connections that required immigration and a trip between terminals.

This... MCT is 20 mins for *A to *A. Although, if you care about priority boarding, carry on space, etc., That may not be ideal.

Although I did an LH to Austrian intra-Europe flight last July, and we landed at a remote gate for bussing to the terminal.

allbrosca Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm

I did a transfer from LH to an Austrian flight to CPT last year. I think I only had 50 minutes and our incoming flight was 15 minutes.late. It took me about 10 minutes to get to the next gate and I was fine.

sokolov Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Assuming you arrive on time, this will work nicely.

If you're delayed a lot, by all means spend a day in Vienna. Take the S-Bahn (rather than the CAT) into town and enjoy yourself!

ACYYZ/SD Aug 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Have operated several VIE's. Very efficient operation. There is a whole bank of connections in the 1 hr time frame and thus far no issues. It's the permissable 35 minute connections which are doable albeit a bit tight. Tight connections are met by OS Airport staff and facilitated.

nomadic.relief Aug 18, 2019 12:36 am

If routing from AC at VIE, does that not also require immigration, as that will also be the first entry point into the EU? (If continuing onward outside the EU, that'd be different.) I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about it, VIE is not huge and is extremely efficient, just something to take into consideration. Remember, as long as you have an e-passport, you should be able to use the automated gates, which are usually pretty darn quick.

InTheAirGuy Aug 18, 2019 4:08 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 31428354)
If routing from AC at VIE, does that not also require immigration, as that will also be the first entry point into the EU? (If continuing onward outside the EU, that'd be different.) I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about it, VIE is not huge and is extremely efficient, just something to take into consideration. Remember, as long as you have an e-passport, you should be able to use the automated gates, which are usually pretty darn quick.

Good point.Its not within the EU,....

ACYYZ/SD Aug 18, 2019 5:16 am

Subject to operational changes, AC's designated gate at VIE is G36 if that helps.

InTheAirGuy Sep 4, 2019 6:48 pm

I bailed out on this idea, going via FRA which gives me a 3.5 hour connection to my ongoing flight. I leave a bit earlier, get there just around the same time. I just didn't feel comfortable looking at the OTP.