Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Correlation is not causation.

The one that I recall is that YXE-YWG-YQR used to be a valid route.

But outside of EYW, who in their right mind would fly that? It's not like it was priced at a level that made sense even for a MR.

You're not going to run a promotion like this in order to change the routing rules for fares that would only be used for the promotion. You could just not run the promotion and you'd be in the same place.

Even discussing pricing... it's stupid to look at EYW flyers to draw any conclusions, because it doesn't represent real travel. I'll pay $500 to fly YCD-YVR-YYJ during EYW, but if I actually needed to make that trip, I'm not even convinced it would make sense to pay $5 to fly it. It just takes too much time compared to driving.

Off the top of my head, the only reasonable data I could see them gathering would be for MCT, since that's a number that behaves the same for real travel, but we're really pushing it to its limit. If I keep missing valid MCT connections, it probably needs to be raised. If I make every connection, they could experiment with dropping it a few minutes.
Sorry to break it to you buddy, but your YXE-YWG-YQR is a small fish and the least of AC's concerns, although they still shut down that routing anyhow. They had way bigger fish to fry, which they did.

After EYW5, some learned not to poke the bear and stopped exploiting extreme routing rules during EYW contests. In fact, there aren't too many of those left to be exploited anyway.

You and whoever end up in the top 10 or even top 20 this year likely never flew the extreme routings I referred to, whether this year or in years past. None of your itineraries would be flown by average fliers outside of EYW contests.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
delete
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYT82
Sorry to break it to you buddy, but your YXE-YWG-YQR is a small fish and the least of AC's concerns, although they still shut down that routing anyhow. They had way bigger fish to fry, which they did.

After EYW5, some learned not to poke the bear and stopped exploiting extreme routing rules during EYW contests. In fact, there aren't too many of those left to be exploited anyway.

You and whoever end up in the top 10 or even top 20 this year likely never flew the extreme routings I referred to, whether this year or in years past. None of your itineraries would be flown by average fliers outside of EYW contests.
Fare routing rules are not time-efficient for EYW.

I'm aware of a bunch of stupid routing rules, but they're much more valuable for anything other than EYW.

Back around v4 (maybe v5, but definitely before v6), I explored a more cost-efficient set of itineraries for EYW, which would have used what you describe as "extreme routing rules". My itineraries tend to have 2-3 segments per fare. The other approach was going to be 6-7, or basically one fare per day, with non-stop flying. It significantly reduced the cost per wing, but it also significantly increased the time per wing, to the point that it wasn't worth considering. But even those only made sense in the context of EYW. And you don't run EYW for the purpose of identifying EYW exploits.

There are tons itineraries that exploit stupid fare and routing rules that have existed for years, are hinted at or even explicitly discussed on FT, and continue to exist. It's easy for AC to identify them, and it's easy for them to adjust the fare/routing rules, if they want to.

They don't need EYW for this.

At one point you could route a certain transborder fare via another continent. That's really fun for a general MR, or even if you just like flying (since it was a pretty cheap way of flying over an ocean in J). And they shut it down. But that would never be useful in EYW. A few thousand wings, sure. But the same amount of money would get you more wings in less time if you actually focused on EYW.

If people are flying these things outside of EYW, they can catch them. They don't need EYW.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: status-free
None of your itineraries would be flown by average fliers outside of EYW contests.
I suspect that's less true this year. So many Wing-y airports can only be reached through specific gateway cities. If I fly YYJ to YXE or YMM or YXH, say, I'm gonna be on a routing fairly similar to any poor schmuck who actually has to fly that route for real life reasons.
Unless, of course, I'm doing this all wrong...
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by biglinguist
I suspect that's less true this year. So many Wing-y airports can only be reached through specific gateway cities. If I fly YYJ to YXE or YMM or YXH, say, I'm gonna be on a routing fairly similar to any poor schmuck who actually has to fly that route for real life reasons.
Unless, of course, I'm doing this all wrong...
Using this as a specific example of a general point (i.e. this won't work - probably), it's possible YYJ-YVR-YYZ-YYC-YMM is a valid fare routing.

That's great if you need a few AQM and need to fly YYJ-YMM. It's not so great if you want to earn wings without killing 18 hours, since YVR-YYZ-YYC isn't worth much, compared to just doing YYJ-YYC-YMM.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
What the....? How am I in #11 now? (is the update not finished?)
I know it is because my flights from last week are included and a number of other folks' flights from the weekend are not yet included, but still.
I can only say I clearly spoke too soon last week about my high water mark being 14 this time around.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:55 pm

Has anyone earned the AQD badge yet? It's only 300 wings, but I've had $3k AQD posted from my EYW flying since Thursday or Friday.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:59 pm

Fare routing rules are not time-efficient for EYW.
Yes, I'm aware of that, which is why I mentioned that none of you who will end up in the top 10 or even top 20 ever flew the extreme ones I referred to, because y'all maximize wings per day.

There are tons itineraries that exploit stupid fare and routing rules that have existed for years, are hinted at or even explicitly discussed on FT, and continue to exist. It's easy for AC to identify them, and it's easy for them to adjust the fare/routing rules, if they want to.

They don't need EYW for this.

At one point you could route a certain transborder fare via another continent. That's really fun for a general MR, or even if you just like flying (since it was a pretty cheap way of flying over an ocean in J). And they shut it down. But that would never be useful in EYW. A few thousand wings, sure. But the same amount of money would get you more wings in less time if you actually focused on EYW.

If people are flying these things outside of EYW, they can catch them. They don't need EYW.
Required sample size and effort (from AC's perspective) are significantly different.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Has anyone earned the AQD badge yet? It's only 300 wings, but I've had $3k AQD posted from my EYW flying since Thursday or Friday.
It is supposed to post on Feb 4, 2020
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:28 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Nevermind.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SearsTower
It is supposed to post on Feb 4, 2020
Oh my bad. I knew the 2500 AQM would be awarded next year, but I didn't realize the 300 wings from the AQD would also be then.

I guess everyone's going to jump up 300 wings on Feb 4, eh?

I wonder why they made that decision.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:57 pm

Oh my bad. I knew the 2500 AQM would be awarded next year, but I didn't realize the 300 wings from the AQD would also be then.

To allow the missing AQDs to be manually entered by the Audreys.

And not everyone's wing counts will jump by 300.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite

I don’t really believe it though since my credit card I have had for years did. It post on the date they said it would nor has one of my first flights.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:04 pm

To allow the missing AQDs to be manually entered by the Audreys.

And not everyone's wing counts will jump by 300.
Well I would expect the daily sweep to add the badge for anyone who has 3000 AQD credited. Missing AQD requests should work the same as missing mileage requests - once the flight is credited, the badge should show up. It's odd that it's such an outlier when there doesn't seem to be any change of crediting it right at the end.

And yes, I know not EVERYONE, but everyone in the top 10, probably top 20, and most of the top 30, if the wing counts track the way I expect.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
And yes, I know not EVERYONE, but everyone in the top 10, probably top 20, and most of the top 30, if the wing counts track the way I expect.
... which is a great segue to the next game ...

Let's get some predictions on the record. What will the wing cutoff numbers be for the top 10, 30, and 50?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.