Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I jumped from nothing to 29 in one day. I'm now in the 30s, but I suspect the next update or two will propel me into the top 20 or 10.

I'm extremely confident that the two of us will be in the top ten after next weekend's flights post.

I've been discussing "can I go for top 10?" with a couple top 30ers.

If I had to bet $1000 at 10:1 odds per person, I'd only bet that grandbend and ruthless will remain top 10.

biglinguist is a wild card. The rest I'd be more tempted to bet against.

8 of us just turned R12 into R4 on a CR9 (hint: it's 14 days) on a weekend that will earn each of us close to 50k wings.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:55 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, I was looking at how the last EYW one ended and was fascinated by the relative economy (miles not dollars) of some of the top 10 versus others. You seem to optimize for time, as do some others, but I guess it's whatever works.

Hopefully we don't see another tie in the top 10 as the rules seem to have anticipated how to deal with that and I'm sure there would be some long faces if that transpired.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:01 pm

I think they were wrong with last year's tie, but @philelite was the benefactor, and it wasn't worth fighting to screw a friend.

Ryan and I are sufficiently different this year that I don't see how it would happen there.
chriscol1 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
A question for the experts here; I’m not sure if this is better suited to the EYW thread or the Standby thread, but it relates to an EYW flight so here it is.

My YVR-YYJ flight was cancelled earlier today, so I called the concierge (main number, not YVR) and they rebooked me on a later flight. Got the lounge agent to print my new boarding pass and went away happy. Sat down and enjoyed lunch. About a half hour later, while sorting stuff, I notice the new BP has a different eticket number than the original - like, way different. It’s not just a different last digit like usual standby passes have, it’s a whole new ticket number.

My question is: Is this ticket still on my original PNR, so it will still count for EYW? Or did the central concierge somehow book me on a new PNR (and screw up my EYW credit)?

To make matters more complicated, when I look at the app it shows me on the standby list, unchecked. But my BP has a seat assignment, so I’m clearly on the flight.

Should I be worried?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:46 pm

Ticket numbers can change for various reasons. As long as the flight is on the same PNR (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be), you should be fine for EYW.

The standby list compared to your BP is more of an issue for me. I don't know why they'd put you on standby in IRROPS unless the flight was full. Might be worth inquiring with someone who works at the airport.
kenlor likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Thanks @ canadiancow , I will do that!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
An easy prediction - #14 will be my high water mark this time around. At least I made last week count as much as I could.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Nothing to brag about. I was once upgraded to the Fairmont Gold Floor for 10 hours.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
8 of us just turned R12 into R4 on a CR9 (hint: it's 14 days) on a weekend that will earn each of us close to 50k wings.
EYW Rookie finding this fascinating - but can someone please translate this sentence? 8 of us just turned R12 into R4 on a CR9 (hint: it's 14 days)
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by CuriousKazza
EYW Rookie finding this fascinating - but can someone please translate this sentence? 8 of us just turned R12 into R4 on a CR9 (hint: it's 14 days)
Flight was R12 at the 14 day upgrade window. We just upgraded it, so now it's R4. Aircraft type is CR9, meaning there are only 12 J seats.

This part has nothing to do with EYW apart from it being a flight we're all taking for EYW.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Nothing to brag about. I was once upgraded to the Fairmont Gold Floor for 10 hours.
Flight was R12 at the 14 day upgrade window. We just upgraded it, so now it's R4. Aircraft type is CR9, meaning there are only 12 J seats.

This part has nothing to do with EYW apart from it being a flight we're all taking for EYW.
You fly as a group of 8? That is impressive logistical planning if I understand right.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
That is impressive logistical planning if I understand right.
For cow and his cattle? Not really.
CuriousKazza likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:09 pm

You fly as a group of 8? That is impressive logistical planning if I understand right.
We have one weekend coming up with 8 of us flying together. Not everyone will start/end in SFO, but I think by the time we go to sleep in YEG, we'll all be there, and we'll remain together for several days.

It poses some challenges with standby. Even this past weekend, we needed 3 seats on a YVR-YYJ/YCD (can't recall which), but the only had two. In the past, with 6+ people, we've split into smaller groups to allow us to fly early.
CuriousKazza likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
We have one weekend coming up with 8 of us flying together.
OK, I will bite and attempt the 8:
canadiancow
americanbovine
grandbend
ruthless
philelite
scotchmeup
expert7700
_yroldsuperelite

Close?

Last edited by chriscol1; Oct 28, 2019 at 6:26 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by chriscol1
OK, I will bite and attempt the 8:
canadiancow
americanbovine
grandbend
ruthless
philelite
scotchmeup
expert7700
_yroldsuperelite

Close?
zone1boarding, not scotchmeup.

I'm not sure 11yrold's name this year. 11yroldsuperelite was too long.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:44 pm

I'm not sure 11yrold's name this year. 11yroldsuperelite was too long.
We will know soon enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.