Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan does not want multiple accounts with same email?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K, MR Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow

If you use gmail, and Aeroplan will let you put a plus sign, just do [email protected], [email protected], etc. Or stick dots in. canadiancow and canadian.cow all go to the same place, but Aeroplan might treat them as different.
Anyone succesful in using the +Gmail trick to work? My email address didn't accept and gave a generic error "Default error message(SYS-ERR-CODE: bus1015)"
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dP21
Anyone succesful in using the +Gmail trick to work? My email address didn't accept and gave a generic error "Default error message(SYS-ERR-CODE: bus1015)"
Many websites do not allow a + in the email field, so I'm also not surprised at that
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What happens if I just ignore, at least for the time being? I just don't appreciate the arrogance of these geniuses.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
What happens if I just ignore, at least for the time being? I just don't appreciate the arrogance of these geniuses.
Best case scenario, nothing.

Worst case scenario, they delete N-1 accounts.
Second worst case scenario, they merge the accounts.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Best case scenario, nothing.

Worst case scenario, they delete N-1 accounts.
Second worst case scenario, they merge the accounts.
Surely before they do something as drastic as deleting an account they'll send another warning. As to sharing one, wouldn't that be great? :-)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
Surely before they do something as drastic as deleting an account they'll send another warning. As to sharing one, wouldn't that be great? :-)
Well, I just got the second batch of emails asking me to change the emails. I'll ignore these as well, and see what happens.
Funnily enough, I have not received any email for my daughter. I guess Aeroplan has decided that she is the primary owner of my
email address, and that she can keep it while everyone else ( including me) must change.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Well, I just got the second batch of emails asking me to change the emails. I'll ignore these as well, and see what happens.
Funnily enough, I have not received any email for my daughter. I guess Aeroplan has decided that she is the primary owner of my
email address, and that she can keep it while everyone else ( including me) must change.
They e-mailed me twice, once for each of our two accounts.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Thumbs down Aeroplan Email Profile Nonsense!

Just wondering if anyone else has received annoying emails from Aeroplan demanding that their email address be changed.

It seems that in the process of "upgrading" their systems Aeroplan and/or Air Canada can no longer accommodate more than one account per email address!

No longer can husbands and wives and children share an email account for Aeroplan purposes. Same if any children have Aeroplan memberships; each require a separate email address. For the benefit of anyone interested, here is the email received from AP!

Have you updated your profile, yet?
We noticed that your email is still associated with multiple Aeroplan accounts. In preparation for Air Canada and Aeroplan's login system update, we ask that you ensure that each of the Aeroplan accounts you manage has its own unique email address associated with it. Once the new system comes into effect, you will be able to login to your account using your Aeroplan number or unique email address, so you will no longer be able to use one email to manage multiple accounts.

You can make this update by visiting the Manage Your Profile section on aeroplan.com or by clicking the button below.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There ids an entire thread on that issue here.
flyquiet and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Thanks for the link, flyquiet.

I've been in hospital for a while with no internet access and did not see the thread (I really looked for one!).
Looks like in families where spouses and kids each have their own aeroplan number but probably one parent monitors all the accounts, he/she may have to create dummy email accounts for everyone - just to satisfy aeroplan! After all, how many kids want parents snooping!!!

My apologies for creating duplicate thread. Please merge if possible.

Thank you.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by dP21
Many websites do not allow a + in the email field, so I'm also not surprised at that
Instead of the gmail alias (+) method, in addition to adding any number of periods (.) throughout your address, you could also use the @googlemail.com domain. Either way all messages will go to your original account. May want to test it out first.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Fly1234; Aug 18, 2019 at 8:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.