Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan does not want multiple accounts with same email?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan does not want multiple accounts with same email?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:33 am
Suspended

Seems legit.

Email address is used as a unique identifier in many systems.
peroorim likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pepperlater
Seems legit.

Email address is used as a unique identifier in many systems.
Unfortunately many systems are set up/run by not terribly competent folks. E-mail was never meant to be used as such. Tht lazy folks do does not make it right.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Bit of a pain as I have my kids account info sent to my email address...but I have now updated their accounts with their own email addresses.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Plumber
Bit of a pain as I have my kids account info sent to my email address...but I have now updated their accounts with their own email addresses.
And you survived the ordeal
Plumber and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Deleted -posted by accident.

Last edited by kenlor; Aug 6, 2019 at 8:58 am Reason: Fat fingers.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by ffsim
And you survived the ordeal
Of course...but I am not sure that my 13-yr old will know what to do with any emails from Aeroplan....
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
And why should your 3 and 5 year olds need to have their own email address. Very inconvenient !
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes, on top of the stupidity of having to set up email addresses for each of my kids, then comes the necessity of monitoring those addresses.
I can just see in 10 years from now, after kids are of age of majority - " Oh, but we emailed you to tell you that their 200,000 AE miles would expire last month"
I'd imagine there was a similar level of frustration and outrage when countries and airlines starting requiring individual passengers to have their own passports. A lot of the arguments were similar, "It's stupid, the old way was fine." "Why add unecessary complexity?" and "How will the kid(s) keep track of this?"

People managed to figure it out. You'll get over this too.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'd imagine there was a similar level of frustration and outrage when countries and airlines starting requiring individual passengers to have their own passports. A lot of the arguments were similar, "It's stupid, the old way was fine." "Why add unecessary complexity?" and "How will the kid(s) keep track of this?"

People managed to figure it out. You'll get over this too.
Sure people will get over this. But the real difference is, an e-mail address is not a good choice as a unique identifier. All these clueless web sites nonetheless. But in most cases these can be forgotten and new one rebuilt. Not here.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Sure people will get over this. But the real difference is, an e-mail address is not a good choice as a unique identifier. All these clueless web sites nonetheless. But in most cases these can be forgotten and new one rebuilt. Not here.
You seem very focused on this point, but why? Those of us who are real AC FFs have our Aeroplan numbers memorized, sure, and probably those of any relatives whose accounts we manage, but we're a tiny sliver of the population. For many people, using an e-mail as the identifier for sign-on is a lot more convenient. I certainly recall the hassle of just a few years ago when nearly every website required you to have your own username, some of which had unique rules on length, characters allowed, etc, so that not only did you have to remember your password but also your username.

I'm sure there's something of a security trade-off for that, but there's also value in convenience.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You seem very focused on this point, but why? Those of us who are real AC FFs have our Aeroplan numbers memorized, sure, and probably those of any relatives whose accounts we manage, but we're a tiny sliver of the population. For many people, using an e-mail as the identifier for sign-on is a lot more convenient. I certainly recall the hassle of just a few years ago when nearly every website required you to have your own username, some of which had unique rules on length, characters allowed, etc, so that not only did you have to remember your password but also your username.
True, but then not really a unique identifier. If my wife wants to use my amazon account she can. Even if not knowing the passport, only thing needed is access to e-mail sent to that address. Which is a very different situation than we are talking about here where different accounts are (still?) supposed to be truly unique. In other words, in most of these cases, the thing has no true cost or inconvenience.
I'm sure there's something of a security trade-off for that, but there's also value in convenience.
For some. But inconvenience for others. Plus, this apparently is forced upon us with no consultation. And seemingly with not much thought about what they are doing. Simply, it should not be up to them to decide for me which address I or my wife wants to use; it's none of their business, period.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Sure there is value in convenience but also inconvenient for those of us managing multiple accounts for parents (not on email) and minor children.
This seems like changing something that no one asked for.
We already have different Aeroplan numbers which are unique identifiers so why do the emails also have to be different ?
Fizzer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by vernonc
Sure there is value in convenience but also inconvenient for those of us managing multiple accounts for parents (not on email) and minor children.
Designed by a 20 something who can't imagine someone not having email?
Fizzer and peroorim like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Designed by a 20 something who can't imagine someone not having email?
a 20 something without imagination is designing systems for AC? . I guess the existing AC systems were also designed by a 20 something way back then, these individuals are a 100 something now. And everybody here marvel at the AP/AC systems currently being used.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
. I guess the existing AC systems were also designed by a 20 something way back then, these individuals are a 100 something now.
AE, not AC. AC's systems ( RESIII) was designed over 40 years ago, AC bought it from BA in the early 90's. Long before the general public had email anyway.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:24 am

Simple solution.

Step 1: Create email address only used for each aeroplan account
Step 2: Setup autoforward for all emails from aeroplan to your existing email account

It will look just like before, other than 30 min of work to setup a few free email addresses and forwarding. We can complain and moan about AC, but I highly doubt they are going to change, so we just need to adapt. As a bonus you can see who aeroplan is selling your to.
peroorim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.