Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Operational upgrades (op-ups); and why doesn't AC give away all J seats as comp-ups?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational upgrades (op-ups); and why doesn't AC give away all J seats as comp-ups?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
If you use your Aeroplan miles for domestic / US rewards,.some form of status is worth it to get the airline surcharge waived from award tickets.

Ron.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
You can buy a flight pass and get instant status yes. It's certainly not the cheapest way to get *G. Probably looking at least $10k. I think you only get instant status with the purchase of a 6 month unlimited flight pass.

On that note, you can get complimentary upgrades if you buy any latitude pass that is not for intercontinental travel. But you have to request them.
I think there also has to be ... P space? You may have to do battle with agents (HUCA) if the flight is PxR0 where x > 0.

But you can of course do what many do and buy it, upgrade it with eUps (does this require f R>0? Possibly not on Lat, can't recall) then ring up at I think t-48h to undo the eUp and request the complimentary upgrade?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This is very misleading. You might be getting W&B op-ups on Sky Regional / Air Georgian flights as a United *G or an AC E35/50, when there are very empty J cabins and they need to move like 6 or 8 pax to fix their issues. I'd argue J is marginally better than a Y seat on a bulkhead / exit row on these routes, who really gives a crap about where you sit on YYZ-PHL. You're going to be getting them next to never on mainline flights with that status, and that is the only place they're worth anything.

The first response was the right one; if you want to sit up front be prepared to part with cash and/or instruments, even as an SE. AC doesn't hand out complimentary upgrades for their elites, except for rare operational issues, and as E35 or E50K you're going to be way down the list in those situations.
I dont think so, in <20 flights, I have 6 AC with opups in last ~3 years on transborders, including A320 and another on a widebody. Ialso have 1 intl J (YUL-LHR), 2 intl PY (YYZ-CDG, YUL-PVG) All but one, on lowest fares. There are lots of stories in the UA forum of AC opups.

I guess only AC elites 'cheapen' the front cabin, not foreign elites on K/A fares
skybluesea, jc94 and FlyerTalker70 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by jc94
I think there also has to be ... P space? You may have to do battle with agents (HUCA) if the flight is PxR0 where x > 0.

But you can of course do what many do and buy it, upgrade it with eUps (does this require f R>0? Possibly not on Lat, can't recall) then ring up at I think t-48h to undo the eUp and request the complimentary upgrade?
Complimentary latitude pass upgrades come from J, not P or R. So as long is a flight is J1, Y1 48 hrs or less from departure you can both book it and immediately secure the upgrade even with zero status and zero eupgrades.

As for the automatic status. The cheapest pass I can find that grants immediate 50k (6 month unlimited latitude) is about a $12K commitment. You can get instant 100k status for about $18K (6 month unlimited J).

Finally while there are no complimentary upgrades with E35K, you still get some eupgrade points and you can for sure use those to sit in J at least once or twice throughout the year, maybe much more if you just buy latitude fares in advance and confirm the upgrade at the time of booking (requires Z space within north america).
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by j2simpso
As a United Premier Gold member, I've had my fair share of complimentary upgrades to J flying AC metal (I would estimate about half of my flights which had an available J cabin to upgrade to). Most recently I flew YYZ > PHL and was opd'up at the gate. It's good to see AC showing loyalty where it counts

Joking aside, the status to get is E50K (*A Gold) with AC if it is reasonable for you to do so. *A Gold gives you special privileges when flying AC and other airlines namely priority booking and re-accomodation during irregular operations (IRROPs). It also puts you at a much higher pecking order for op'ups (as a United Gold I'd still be ahead of you on that queue since I'm *A Gold).

-James
You have spectacular luck, especially considering AC gets basically $0 annually from you.

I'm not even a big spender with them but am into it for $35k so far this year. I've been given an upgrade twice this year. Both times on a badly imbalanced E75.

Careful what message you send to people. The chances of getting a magical upgrade are nearly 0 and it's important people understand that.
flyquiet and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:22 pm

This is very misleading. You might be getting W&B op-ups on Sky Regional / Air Georgian flights as a United *G or an AC E35/50, when there are very empty J cabins and they need to move like 6 or 8 pax to fix their issues. I'd argue J is marginally better than a Y seat on a bulkhead / exit row on these routes, who really gives a crap about where you sit on YYZ-PHL. You're going to be getting them next to never on mainline flights with that status, and that is the only place they're worth anything.

The first response was the right one; if you want to sit up front be prepared to part with cash and/or instruments, even as an SE. AC doesn't hand out complimentary upgrades for their elites, except for rare operational issues, and as E35 or E50K you're going to be way down the list in those situations.
Perhaps. My experience with AC has been limited to mostly short haul flights since I cannot fly AC TATL/TPAC for safety reasons which I won't get into on this forum. I did once fly SFO > YYZ on a UA codeshare on a 787 and wasn't upgraded (although I did get my free E+ seat on the flight thankfully). In January I will be flying quite a few AC birds cross country ( YZR > YYZ > YSJ > YUL > YVR > YXY > YVR > YYZ > YZR) and will report back if I get lucky with op-ups then.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I dont think so, in <20 flights, I have 6 AC with opups in last ~3 years on transborders, including A320 and another on a widebody. Ialso have 1 intl J (YUL-LHR), 2 intl PY (YYZ-CDG, YUL-PVG) All but one, on lowest fares. There are lots of stories in the UA forum of AC opups.

I guess only AC elites 'cheapen' the front cabin, not foreign elites on K/A fares
That was my suspicion as well. I'm a Canadian citizen which obviously AC can tell from my res/billing address yet they see I've hit UA*G status. Presumably there is an algorithm running in the background that's must assume that I'm loyal to OAL and thinks, "Let's show this Canadian ex-pat what he's missing out not flying AC and gaining Altitude status by opping him up to J". Given the recent enhancements at UA I'm seriously giving Altitude a shot if AC ever has the fares to match (I'm going to be flying UA LHR > SYD r/t on a $1100 CAD K fare ). I will say, it takes a certain sophistication to qualify for UA Gold having spent only $1,400 PQD in a given year

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Complimentary latitude pass upgrades come from J, not P or R. So as long is a flight is J1, Y1 48 hrs or less from departure you can both book it and immediately secure the upgrade even with zero status and zero eupgrades.

As for the automatic status. The cheapest pass I can find that grants immediate 50k (6 month unlimited latitude) is about a $12K commitment. You can get instant 100k status for about $18K (6 month unlimited J).

Finally while there are no complimentary upgrades with E35K, you still get some eupgrade points and you can for sure use those to sit in J at least once or twice throughout the year, maybe much more if you just buy latitude fares in advance and confirm the upgrade at the time of booking (requires Z space within north america).
I wonder if this might be a reasonable strategy for them to pursue in the next calendar year to qualify for Altitude E50K status. At that point they could just buy one of the fixed travel credit passes instead of an unlimited travel passes which should cost far less. For instance, a $2,500 CAD Hawaii (Sun Destination) flight pass from YYC/YVR/YEG earns 100% AQM and nets 3,133 AQM each way, so 18,798 AQM on that pass alone. That being said, they need to weigh the cost and benefits of accumulating any status level (P35K included). In my case, I spent $3,300 CAD this year on fares and got conservatively ~$2000 CAD in benefits flying * (not including the AC op-ups ) so it made sense for me to stick with * this year.

In terms of Latitude passes aside from the upgrades, the one thing those passes provide is the latitude (pardon the pun) to make reservations and changes at the very last minute. A latitude fare means you can secure any seat on any AC flight that pass covers so long as there is space in the Economy cabin. At the same time there are no costs to cancel/change flights at the last minute. Other bennies include free baggage, free priority seating, free meal, etc. The best way to explain a latitude fare is it's sort of the Rolls Royce of cattle class (not that you'd be seeing many Canadian cows seated in Latitude Y )

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:22 pm

I guess I stand corrected.

My initial thought is that we should show AC your posting history around here and see if they keep doling out the love.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I'm a Canadian citizen which obviously AC can tell from my res/billing address yet they see I've hit UA*G status. Presumably there is an algorithm running in the background that's must assume that I'm loyal to OAL and thinks, "Let's show this Canadian ex-pat what he's missing out not flying AC and gaining Altitude status by opping him up to J".
James
The same algorithm that puts UA*G in a middle seat in row 44 on a latitute fare?
I doubt there is anything more to AC opups than dumb luck, flying routes/times without much OPM (ie. Altitude) traffic, or flights that are oversold in Y, empty up front.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I guess I stand corrected.

My initial thought is that we should show AC your posting history around here and see if they keep doling out the love.
Who is we? Is there a secret SE club that tattles to AC about other airline top tiers cheapening their precious AC domestic J cabin, or the luxurious longhaul PY cabin and eating their never expiring banana bread?

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Careful what message you send to people. The chances of getting a magical upgrade are nearly 0 and it's important people understand that.
Clearly they are not "nearly 0"
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by rankourabu; Nov 13, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold

I'm going to have to disagree on that point: who really gives a crap about where you sit on YYZ-PHL.

For people who do 75% or + of their flying on regionals, that 6AM or 9pm W&B or OpUp upgrade does mean a lot when it's back to back to back. Just my 0.02$ as I believe these little flights are a pain, but the gate upgrades makes them a little more tolerable for us who take many of those all year long.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Who is we? Is there a secret SE club that tattles to AC about other airline top tiers cheapening their precious AC domestic J cabin, or the luxurious longhaul PY cabin and eating their never expiring banana bread?
I'm pretty sure that there is indeed a group of SE's who have connections to AC executives and who snitch or complain to them about any sweet spots or loopholes the kettle flyers may use that are in competition with SE benefits or endanger their sense of being "special" and above the rest :P
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That was my suspicion as well. I'm a Canadian citizen which obviously AC can tell from my res/billing address yet they see I've hit UA*G status. Presumably there is an algorithm running in the background that's must assume that I'm loyal to OAL and thinks, "Let's show this Canadian ex-pat what he's missing out not flying AC and gaining Altitude status by opping him up to J".
I hope you're joking. Have you seen any AC system that's even remotely intelligent enough to do something like that?

The opup algorithm, while not published, is quite well known.

First, it requires an oversell in a cabin. No oversell, no opup.
Second, it happens after all people eligible for upgrades have been processed. This is all eUps, deadheads, etc.

Third, the order is:
1. Nonrevs, in some order I don't know or care, likely based on start date, or some combination of start date and priority code (i.e. C1 would get it before C2).
2. Cabin, status, fare class, check-in time. Just like eUps.

Within "status", OAL *G seems to rank between E50K and E35K.

However, opups are not automated (unless they've changed the process), and I've seen, on numerous occasions, a GTE Standard fare no-status pax get a J seat, because I'm VDBing, but they won't process it until they KNOW the seat is required, which means the plane is fully boarded. YBYL, as I often say.

Originally Posted by yulsee
I'm pretty sure that there is indeed a group of SE's who have connections to AC executives and who snitch or complain to them about any sweet spots or loopholes the kettle flyers may use that are in competition with SE benefits or endanger their sense of being "special" and above the rest :P
Ah yes, the loophole of getting an opup on an overbooked flight. I also like to sneakily book K fares 6 months out on other *A airlines, knowing full well they'll be overbooked at departure, and I'll get an opup.

What a sneaky trick that we should all report to Calin. I'm surprised more people aren't doing it.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:12 pm

The same algorithm that puts UA*G in a middle seat in row 44 on a latitute fare?
I doubt there is anything more to AC opups than dumb luck, flying routes/times without much OPM (ie. Altitude) traffic, or flights that are oversold in Y, empty up front.

Clearly they are not "nearly 0"
Woah. I was just yanking your chain. Mea culpa!

You’re right - I was clearly wrong. That’s why I explicitly said “I stand corrected”

The experience of yours and James does not match mine, but then, I almost never fly in Y (eupgrades out my ears) so the opportunity for me is less than many.

In any case - glad they take care of you. It is very rare for UA to do anything like that in my favour.

And again - seriously - sorry. I really was just being silly.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AC SE*MM

Are you flying those J routes on Wednesdays in the middle of July or something? Because as canadiancow notes, op-ups are only occurring on those intl routes when the back is oversold and the front has a bunch of room; so much room in fact that they clear the eUps, then the AC SE / 75K / 50K crowd is op-upped and they still have a need to move you. Which means you're on mainline routes in leisure heavy times of the year and days of the week when there is far less OPM J and far fewer AC elites than normal.

I've cheapened the cabin three times on intl J routes myself this year via op-up. But I've done literally dozens of intl flights in Y/PY in 2019 alone, and for better or worse I'm fairly close to the top of the op-up list.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:39 am

Either dumb luck or dumb AC IT . Let's see how op-ups are handled when Amadeus, Amadeus arrives!

Originally Posted by royal757
I'm going to have to disagree on that point: who really gives a crap about where you sit on YYZ-PHL.

I thought the same way until I saw the service offered on board :

Not bad for an hour long domestic flight. Sadly, I was unable to find the US Airways club at PHL (despite me asking several people on the ground there). Oh well, I guess off to the CoUniHound lounge then!

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I hope you're joking. Have you seen any AC system that's even remotely intelligent enough to do something like that?

The opup algorithm, while not published, is quite well known.

First, it requires an oversell in a cabin. No oversell, no opup.
Second, it happens after all people eligible for upgrades have been processed. This is all eUps, deadheads, etc.

Third, the order is:
1. Nonrevs, in some order I don't know or care, likely based on start date, or some combination of start date and priority code (i.e. C1 would get it before C2).
2. Cabin, status, fare class, check-in time. Just like eUps.

Within "status", OAL *G seems to rank between E50K and E35K.

However, opups are not automated (unless they've changed the process), and I've seen, on numerous occasions, a GTE Standard fare no-status pax get a J seat, because I'm VDBing, but they won't process it until they KNOW the seat is required, which means the plane is fully boarded. YBYL, as I often say.

Ah yes, the loophole of getting an opup on an overbooked flight. I also like to sneakily book K fares 6 months out on other *A airlines, knowing full well they'll be overbooked at departure, and I'll get an opup.

What a sneaky trick that we should all report to Calin. I'm surprised more people aren't doing it.
I can assure you I was on the highest qwality K fare and was op-up at the gate for that flight to Philly . As you point out whilst there may be a procedure or even a system for handling op-ups it seems to be left to the discretion of the gate agent. In my case I didn't board late, I boarded in Zone 1 (since I'm UA Gold on a UA Codeshare) and was handed the new boarding card when I scanned my boarding pass and it booped at me so there was no YBYL factor there at all. Sometimes I do board towards the end to prevent the spread of gate lice but in this instance it was business as usual for AC (i.e. delay the flight for many minutes whilst the boarding line queues up more and more).

Are you flying those J routes on Wednesdays in the middle of July or something? Because as canadiancow notes, op-ups are only occurring on those intl routes when the back is oversold and the front has a bunch of room; so much room in fact that they clear the eUps, then the AC SE / 75K / 50K crowd is op-upped and they still have a need to move you. Which means you're on mainline routes in leisure heavy times of the year and days of the week when there is far less OPM J and far fewer AC elites than normal.

I've cheapened the cabin three times on intl J routes myself this year via op-up. But I've done literally dozens of intl flights in Y/PY in 2019 alone, and for better or worse I'm fairly close to the top of the op-up list.
Yes there does appear to be some rhyme or reason to getting op-ups on flights. A colleague of mine was flying YYC > YYZ a couple years ago during March break as a UA *Gold, and got op'd up right away. I think some of us on the forum would love to hear some strategies for finding potentially overbooked flights to increase out chances of flying in luxury!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I can assure you I was on the highest qwality K fare and was op-up at the gate for that flight to Philly . As you point out whilst there may be a procedure or even a system for handling op-ups it seems to be left to the discretion of the gate agent. In my case I didn't board late, I boarded in Zone 1 (since I'm UA Gold on a UA Codeshare) and was handed the new boarding card when I scanned my boarding pass and it booped at me so there was no YBYL factor there at all. Sometimes I do board towards the end to prevent the spread of gate lice but in this instance it was business as usual for AC (i.e. delay the flight for many minutes whilst the boarding line queues up more and more).
So you were on a 2 cabin aircraft, meaning the "cabin" factor is gone. The only statuses above you are X, SE, D, E. Fare class wouldn't come into play unless there were other *G. Nothing else is relevant there.

And you're not entitled to zone 1 on AC, so stop doing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.