Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Operational upgrades (op-ups); and why doesn't AC give away all J seats as comp-ups?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational upgrades (op-ups); and why doesn't AC give away all J seats as comp-ups?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by liligood
If someone is on a (Y, PY) overbooked flight and seated in PY originally, is it wise to try operational upgrade, i.e., don’t eupgrade?
How do you “try” to operational upgrade?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If someone is on a (Y, PY) overbooked flight and seated in PY originally, is it wise to try operational upgrade, i.e., don’t eupgrade?
Staff will get opups before revenue pax.

Then it's done by cabin, status, fare.

So if you're sure there are no staff flying non-J, and you have high status in PY, then... sure I guess?

But why? Are you short of eUps?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

So if you're sure there are no staff flying non-J, and you have high status in PY, then... sure I guess?

Yes, I don’t want to burn all eup as there may still be a few trips before the end of the year

Staff is prioritized, I don’t know about this. Is the staff you are referring here those who are on both standby list and upgrade list? I thought they would upgrade people first before taking those who are on standby.

*edit: I think their will be fairly limited eupgrade pax as, for most, the route requires an add-on fee.

Last edited by liligood; Aug 20, 2023 at 12:04 am
Old Aug 20, 2023, 12:26 am

Yes, I don’t want to burn all eup as there may still be a few trips before the end of the year

Staff is prioritized, I don’t know about this. Is the staff you are referring here those who are on both standby list and upgrade list? I thought they would upgrade people first before taking those who are on standby.

*edit: I think their will be fairly limited eupgrade pax as, for most, the route requires an add-on fee.
Staff who are on the J list will obviously be processed as normal.

Staff who are only eligible for Y will receive an op-up before a revenue pax does. That could be someone who is only on the Y list, or it could be someone who's flying for work and only eligible for Y (if there even is anyone not eligible for J on work travel).
C-FMWQ and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 12:35 am

Staff who are only eligible for Y will receive an op-up before a revenue pax does. That could be someone who is only on the Y list, or it could be someone who's flying for work and only eligible for Y (if there even is anyone not eligible for J on work travel).
Thank you very much! I’ll make my own judgement.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Unless something has changed AC is happy to let J go out with empty seats if they've processed all e-upgrades (op-ups for weight/balance, Y being oversold not withstanding). Not sure if "trying to op-up" is a winning strategy, especially if you're going for an International route.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by yvr76
Unless something has changed AC is happy to let J go out with empty seats if they've processed all e-upgrades (op-ups for weight/balance, Y being oversold not withstanding). Not sure if "trying to op-up" is a winning strategy, especially if you're going for an International route.
Yes, that seems to be true. I've advocated before that AC should OPUP based on status PAX in Y before leaving with empty J seats but I was shouted down quite loudly by other members of this forum. I still think it would be a nice 'surprise and delight' thing for AC to do as it would happen quite infrequently based on the e-UP lists I see every flight, but I'm pretty sure, even if you ask, and they have empty J seats you will be asked to take your originally assigned seat.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by billdokes
Yes, that seems to be true. I've advocated before that AC should OPUP based on status PAX in Y before leaving with empty J seats but I was shouted down quite loudly by other members of this forum. I still think it would be a nice 'surprise and delight' thing for AC to do as it would happen quite infrequently based on the e-UP lists I see every flight, but I'm pretty sure, even if you ask, and they have empty J seats you will be asked to take your originally assigned seat.
Unless AC does it automatically on their system, I would not trust the gate agent to be able to consistently process any comp OP.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC E50K

This is correct. There are 100% people not "eligible" for J on work travel in the AC network. "Eligible" is a bit of a weird term here as it isn't a strict eligibility but more, "you don't get a seat in J until that's the last option to get you where you need to go".
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:03 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I know 2 people who were on the same flight, cheap y fares to lisbon and were upgraded. no status .
Just lucky.

certainly must have been other clients more deserving .. with anytype of status or certainly higher fare

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 21, 2023 at 1:28 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by RZR
I know 2 people who were on the same flight, cheap y fares to lisbon and were upgraded. no status .
Just lucky.
Last flight I was on, the eUpgrade list was completely empty and there were still a couple of lie-flats left right up in row 1. An older Indian couple was brought in from the back. They didn't speak much English but clearly they were in total shock.... pretty sure they had ever been in Signature before. Call me an old sap but that was the absolute highlight of the flight for me.

But at the same time, yeah, how were they chosen? The doors were already closed so it couldn't have been a gate LMU or whatever.
flyingcrooked likes this.

Last edited by warrens; Aug 21, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by C-FMWQ
This is correct. There are 100% people not "eligible" for J on work travel in the AC network. "Eligible" is a bit of a weird term here as it isn't a strict eligibility but more, "you don't get a seat in J until that's the last option to get you where you need to go".
I am not sure I understand the logic behind. Does this mean eupgrade > op-up (weight/oversold reason, for higher status, higher fare class) > standby staff, ie, who appear on both standby list and upgrade list? Because they attempt to minimize # of revenue pax who doesn’t get a seat?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:27 am

I am not sure I understand the logic behind. Does this mean eupgrade > op-up (weight/oversold reason, for higher status, higher fare class) > standby staff, ie, who appear on both standby list and upgrade list? Because they attempt to minimize # of revenue pax who doesn’t get a seat?
No. Barring a situation where PY is oversold than more than the PY->J regrade-eligible pax (I've never seen this happen on AC), it means:

1. The list is processed
2. If a lower cabin is still overbooked, that cabin is upgraded based on:
a. Staff (actually as I write this I'm not 100% sure, especially in relation to "cabin" - it's possible "staff" just becomes the "highest status" for op ups, so rev in PY would get J before staff in Y - but I'm not sure)
b. Cabin
c. Status
d. Fare

That's if PDM does it.

If more needs to happen later (i.e. Y is overbooked by 1 but J has a no-show), after PDM runs, it's done manually by the GA, and they are probably going to do whatever's most expedient. As an example, when I was trying to volunteer on YYZ-SFO once, I was booked in J. There were two seats (mine in J and a "no show" in Y) that had not boarded, and no one else was at the gate, but they were waiting for the "no show" and their companion. When those two showed up, I got my VDB compensation, and one of those no-status Y pax got my J seat.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by warrens
Call me an old sap but that was the absolute highlight of the flight for me.
I have to say, I’d love it if AC had a policy to fill empty J seats with the oldest passengers in Y. That would be cool imo.
warrens likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:39 am

No. Barring a situation where PY is oversold than more than the PY->J regrade-eligible pax (I've never seen this happen on AC), it means:

1. The list is processed
2. If a lower cabin is still overbooked, that cabin is upgraded based on:
a. Staff (actually as I write this I'm not 100% sure, especially in relation to "cabin" - it's possible "staff" just becomes the "highest status" for op ups, so rev in PY would get J before staff in Y - but I'm not sure)
b. Cabin
c. Status
d. Fare

That's if PDM does it.

If more needs to happen later (i.e. Y is overbooked by 1 but J has a no-show), after PDM runs, it's done manually by the GA, and they are probably going to do whatever's most expedient. As an example, when I was trying to volunteer on YYZ-SFO once, I was booked in J. There were two seats (mine in J and a "no show" in Y) that had not boarded, and no one else was at the gate, but they were waiting for the "no show" and their companion. When those two showed up, I got my VDB compensation, and one of those no-status Y pax got my J seat.
Hey canadiancow, thanks for this detailed explanation, this clears up a lot of questions in my mind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.