Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Reward - Involuntary Schedule Change - What Are My Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Hi,

In Dec 2018 I booked a mini-RTW (itinerary below) for Sep 2019 and I recently discovered that the flight from WAW-IST was cancelled and closest replacement flight was over 3 hours later which I understand qualifies it as an involuntary schedule change. As a result I have the option of picking any available flight from YYZ-IST without any increase in fees/taxes/surcharges. I've been checking if any AC flights out of YYZ could be taken (e.g. YYZ-CDG-IST) but nothing has come up so far for my desired departure date range.

My question is if I wait until close to the current departure date and nothing is available still, would Aeroplan open space or purchase a ticket so that I can still make my original arrival date? Note that no email notification was received by me and I only found out about the missing flight when doing my due diligence in checking the booked itinerary.

I am also considering available YYZ-ATL-IST flights but by my calculation it would exceed the MPM for YYZ-HKG.

YYZ-WAW LO
WAW-IST TK (stop)
IST-PEK TK
PEK-HKG CA (stop)
HKG-HND NH (stop)
NRT-ICN OZ
ICN-JFK OZ
LGA-YYZ AC

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Regards,
Michael
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I don't remember if AC operates YYZ or YUL to IST, but AP can generally open reward space on AC in the event of a schedule change. So if AC has a non-stop, you could get that, or if there's nothing on YYZ-CDG but there is space on CDG-IST, they could in theory open up space on YYZ-CDG, although I'm not sure they'd be more amenable to that than to opening space on YYZ-IST
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Michael888
I am also considering available YYZ-ATL-IST flights but by my calculation it would exceed the MPM for YYZ-HKG.
In these situations I've found Aeroplan to have some flexibility. If you can find availability for YYZ-ATL-IST, they may be willing to ignore the MPM.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You can go via ATL - MPM exceeding is not your problem. That way you can still get superior TK over the Atlantic and not have to fly AC.
Aeroplan can open up any AC flight for you - but the connector within Europe has to have award availability. They will not buy a revenue seat unless last resort.

If you see any other TK available from the US - they can easily open up the short AC connector.

Be prepared with options when you call in. Ideally try to get them to buy you YYZ-IST on TK, but if they refuse (most likely) - tell them to go via ATL, or any other US gateway that has TK available.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pewpew
I don't remember if AC operates YYZ or YUL to IST, but AP can generally open reward space on AC in the event of a schedule change. So if AC has a non-stop, you could get that, or if there's nothing on YYZ-CDG but there is space on CDG-IST, they could in theory open up space on YYZ-CDG, although I'm not sure they'd be more amenable to that than to opening space on YYZ-IST
Not any more. AC flights to IST were cancelled after the last set of security concerns at IST. OP’s best option is to get AE to book a revenue seat on TK. That is going to be easier if he or she has SE. And is polite and patient. I haven’t needed to do it in a while but they did it with no fuss for me a few years back.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:02 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I don't think they will move you into a revenue seat into TK; best to locate some TK reward availability that works for you, regardless of the MPM. They should open space on AC metal if necessary . . .
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:27 pm

To hijack this thread... booked YUL-YVR-HNL a while back, and the YVR-HNL flight got pushed back by 10 hours or so, getting into HNL in the evening. That's the only flight of the day, so if I tell Aeroplan it doesn't work for me and I need to be in HNL by (say) noon that day, how likely is it that I'll be able to get them to book me on UA revenue business?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I also have had a flight cancelled. No formal notification but discovered by due diligence. My outbound and return are separate tx due to when award space opened up.

AE, when I called, offered a comparable flight two days later. AE refused to change return (i.e., make it two days later to maintain the length of the trip) despite most of cabin being available because it’s a separate tx and no award space showing. In fact, despite current load, only full J available on this transborder route. Flying on my original date now means a connection that would involve UA. My tx was AC non-stop.

Is there any strategy that might convince AE to move the return which is also AC non-stop?

Last edited by Bartolo; Sep 4, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've had no issue getting change fees waived in the return (separate booking) when something happened to the outbound, so I'd just HUCA.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had no issue getting change fees waived in the return (separate booking) when something happened to the outbound, so I'd just HUCA.
Did being SE have anything to do with your success?

Fascinating. I got an agent that seemed experienced and knowledgeable. I will try again. Thank you.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Have you ever had any success in getting them to buy space on another carrier when award space is not available?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bartolo
HI also have had a flight cancelled. No formal notification but discovered by due diligence. My outbound and return are separate tx due to when award space opened up.

AE, when I called, offered a comparable flight two days later. AE refused to change return (i.e., make it two days later to maintain the length of the trip) despite most of cabin being available because it’s a separate tx and no award space showing. In fact, despite current load, only full J available on this transborder route. Flying on my original date now means a connection that would involve UA. My tx was AC non-stop.

Is there any strategy that might convince AE to move the return which is also AC non-stop?
I think you gamed the system to your advantage, and lost.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
HI also have had a flight cancelled. No formal notification but discovered by due diligence. My outbound and return are separate tx due to when award space opened up.

That's annoying....but I would also probably just eat the change fee and add 2 days onto my trip versus trying too hard to get it done for free. By the time you HUCA and get someone to do it without fee, the award space may be gone!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by lallied
Have you ever had any success in getting them to buy space on another carrier when award space is not available?
They wont/cant open up space on another carrier. But they will rebook you in revenue as last resort on another carrier, even non-alliance.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Did being SE have anything to do with your success?

Fascinating. I got an agent that seemed experienced and knowledgeable. I will try again. Thank you.
Being SE and Diamond may have helped. The situation was I was booked F on YTO-TYO, and J back (hence the two bookings). IRROPS had me downgraded on YTO-TYO, but F space had opened on a different route for TYO-YTO, and I asked if they would waive the change fee because I really wanted to fly F in one direction. The agent had no issue with it.

Originally Posted by lallied
Not for me, but I know people who have. [MENTION=658949]DrunkCargo[/MENTION] just flew YVR-HND on NH in a revenue fare class. That was because Aeroplan didn't reticket him after a change, and all the unticketed segments fell off, but that was the only one that no longer had I-space. Amusingly, AC3 had I-space, but there was absolutely no discussion about it. They just rebooked him on what he originally had, in Z (I think). Someone else (may have been DC, but I can't recall) was once told to buy a one-way J fare and submit for reimbursement under similar circumstances.

I thought it might happen to me this weekend because both my TG segments fell off the PNR at different times, but there was still O space available when I called to have it fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.