Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spend accounting for AC vs. WJ

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I agree with YEG User. Check out whether a travel credit card will get you whatever perks you are looking for from having status. An annual fee ends up being much cheaper than out-of-pocket flights taken just to retain status.

Which status perks appeal to you the most?
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Splitting miles and status across programs (snide aside: especially one with no global partnership) isn't "logical".

I've yet to make that argument, but I am willing to die on that particular hill if and when necessary.
The answer to this: it depends. If you always fly paid J, and you value your time, then it largely depends on which airline is flying the routes you want to fly when you want to fly them.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
The answer to this: it depends. If you always fly paid J, and you value your time, then it largely depends on which airline is flying the routes you want to fly when you want to fly them.
Fair point, but I humbly submit if you have enough personal or expense budget to "always fly paid J" then you could otherwise buy your way out of problems, and buy your way into comfort.

(If WS could provide both J and schedule vs AC is a different question)
Old May 8, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Pick the status based on the airline you want to fly, not vice versa.
There is really not much difference between WS and AC if you are just doing domestic business travel (IMO). More like "pick the airline that has the best routes and schedule that fits your business travel".

Even then if that is Air Canada the benefits of P25K are marginal at best. I'm not sure I'd be funneling travel to chase that.
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Welcome to FT.

The reality is that low-tier status with any airline doesn't mean much, if anything. You can get the same or better perks - including lounge access, priority boarding, free checked bags - with a credit card.

Status is fine if it falls into your lap through trips you have to do anyway. But paying more to attain it is simply a waste of money. That goes against the grain on Flyertalk, but it is the truth.
tecate55 likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, HH
Wow, just wow. I'm amazed by how much experience you all have and how much you all care on this forum! And really made me think about what I value and does it really matter. Without having my entire life flashing in front of my eyes, honestly not that much.
- I have Nexus so security line isn't a problem;
- Check-in is done online/app so no value in airport priority check-in. I have decent discipline that I remember to check-in 24 hours ahead most of the time to get the seat I prefer;
- YYC has the self-serve baggage drop so priority baggage handling is pointless;
- Longest work flight is 4.5 hours, being on the shorter side leg room has only been an issue once in my entire life, typically not an issue. Pitch is also tolerable for that duration;
- Don't care to eat or drink alcohol during flight;
- Don't typically work during flight;
- Connections are few and far between so time at airports are limited so lounge is of marginal value;
- Baggage fee is company paid anyway;
- Currently using legacy CapitalOne Aspire World Elite Travel and BMO World Elite (4x lounge access, still unused for the year)
- Priority boarding is hit and miss. Sometimes will just have a backpack and I try to be the last to board, other times there'll be another carry-on that I would prefer to board early but rarely get to;
- Personal leisure trips are limited to 1-2 / year with young family kid in school. Airport herds once or twice a year I can deal with.

Company agency dictates lowest logical fare within reason. For me, most of my flights this year had been AC because of that. But WS fares would have been policy compliant in majority of the cases. Routes are consistent enough that both fly with regular frequency. A few unexpected trips is pushing me to P25K threshold this year, started to make me think about this status thing and realizing I could be enjoying some more perks with WS than AC that would make the experience just a little bit more pleasant.

After that self-reflection, I think I'm ready to stop chasing status and quit the forum. LOL.

If I had to pick something, it'll be:
1. early check-in to get to the front of the plane to beat the rush to rental car counter at small airports;
2. early boarding for the occasional two carry-on trips;
3. free same day flight changes;

I think this re-affirms that WS would help me get at least some of those easier even with just silver.

BTW, does sitting in front of the economy cabin get you further behind on boarding groups? I'm in Zone 4 most flights T_T.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:05 pm
Original Member

I think you can't see the forest for the horse because you are putting the apple before the cart by comparing oranges and rabbits.

Until you decide what you want, what is most important and what is achievable there is no rational answer to your query.

Would you rather have points for a free flight to some overseas destination or free baggage and priority boarding? How long/much will it take/cost to obtain the required points? Would you rather have more seat space or lounge access? Would you rather pay more for a ticket now for benefits later or pay less to have more to spend on other things like groceries or lounge passes? Where do you need to fly and where do you want to fly? Do you want to arrive on time? (OK the last one is a trick question.)
Old May 8, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Member

I think you can't see the forest for the horse because you are putting the apple before the cart by comparing oranges and rabbits.

Until you decide what you want, what is most important and what is achievable there is no rational answer to your query.

Would you rather have points for a free flight to some overseas destination or free baggage and priority boarding? How long/much will it take/cost to obtain the required points? Would you rather have more seat space or lounge access? Would you rather pay more for a ticket now for benefits later or pay less to have more to spend on other things like groceries or lounge passes? Where do you need to fly and where do you want to fly? Do you want to arrive on time? (OK the last one is a trick question.)
Old May 8, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Member

Seems you answered my questions while I was answering yours.

I've only done 2 flights in the past 7ish years - one in Air Canada PE on a 787 and one in WestJet Plus on a 737MAX8.

The WestJet flight was in every regard superior to the Air Canada flight, and cost half as much. I say that as a 12 year Super Elite (+ 3 year Executive Platinum.) I also wasn't overcharged for lounge access.

If the bulk of your flights are in Canada and WestJet flies there it's a no brainer. Otherwise not so much; you'll need to think longer and harder.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Not sure how widely this is offered, but WS just granted me Gold Status based on my Altitude status. I rarely fly with them but if I end up doing so, I'll have perks similar to AC until the end of the year. WS requalify levels seem much lower than AC.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Member

I think it is very widely offered.

On a regular basis WS has ad campaigns about changing your FF program, squarely aimed at Air Canada fliers.
arf04 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Splitting miles and status across programs (snide aside: especially one with no global partnership) isn't "logical".

I've yet to make that argument, but I am willing to die on that particular hill if and when necessary.
not a hill to die on but if you fly enough , Splitting the status once you have reached the status you want the benefit of works for some

My Qantas renewal is July and my United renewal is calendar

So I fly Qantas until Platinum which gives me Oneworld Emerald and I fly United until 1K which gives me Star Alliance Gold
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by chunerrr
If I had to pick something, it'll be:
1. early check-in to get to the front of the plane to beat the rush to rental car counter at small airports;
2. early boarding for the occasional two carry-on trips;
3. free same day flight changes;

I think this re-affirms that WS would help me get at least some of those easier even with just silver.

BTW, does sitting in front of the economy cabin get you further behind on boarding groups? I'm in Zone 4 most flights T_T.
Regarding beating the rush to rental car counters, I would suggest signing up for Avis Preferred or something equivalent. It is free and allows you to skip the counter (most of the time), go straight to the car (the app or a board in the garage will tell you the parking spot) and drive out of the lot without batting an eye.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasdou
Regarding beating the rush to rental car counters, I would suggest signing up for Avis Preferred or something equivalent. It is free and allows you to skip the counter (most of the time), go straight to the car (the app or a board in the garage will tell you the parking spot) and drive out of the lot without batting an eye.
Yep. Avis Preferred and Hertz Gold are good... but all of the companies are pretty much the same in that you can (usually) bypass the counter.

The OP is going through what I went through at the beginning... thinking of my "now" priorities (based on my lack of knowledge of what being a frequent flier is and being a member of a program with perks that I had yet to learn about or know how to take advantage of), and thinking much less about the ROI for the future. I think KH above sums it up nicely, and cow alluded to it initially.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
not a hill to die on but if you fly enough , Splitting the status once you have reached the status you want the benefit of works for some

My Qantas renewal is July and my United renewal is calendar

So I fly Qantas until Platinum which gives me Oneworld Emerald and I fly United until 1K which gives me Star Alliance Gold
You're talking about earning top status on two airlines in a thread where there's a question about whether it will be possible to earn bottom on one. Not even remotely the same situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.