Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Case of the Disappearing Priority Tags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K

So it happened again: I watched the check-in agent diligently apply the priority tags. Arrive at destination and the first slug of bags come out, maybe 40 or so. Some have priority tags, some do not. Then nothing for ~10 minutes. The next slug of bags comes out, mine among them. Curiously, the priority tags are missing.

This is not the first time this has happened. Is it just me, or are the bag handlers swiping the tags to cover up?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:24 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Seems odd that they would swipe them - I mean, what's the exposure there?

I suspect they just fell off or got ripped off in the baggage mangling system.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:29 am

Just so you are aware priority tags are being phased out.We don't see many priority tags in the baggage make up area in Ottawa anymore.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: TK *G
Is the tag completely missing? Sometime the tag gets ripped off during handling, in this case part of the priority tag still stick to the larger tag.

Also may I ask what’s your iteniery? Asking because some baggage handlers claims that they remove tags from “non qualifying” bags, and they think they know the rules. Happened to me once on a J to Y iteniery at YVR.
Dolphin2 and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by derk99
Just so you are aware priority tags are being phased out.We don't see many priority tags in the baggage make up area in Ottawa anymore.
I didn't notice this in the *A FT forum... unless this is really old news, or it simply was never posted in that forum... a friend/colleague of mine received priority baggage tags yesterday.
Dolphin2 and marke190 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:35 am

I would say once the old stock of tags are gone that would be the end of them.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by derk99
I would say once the old stock of tags are gone that would be the end of them.
@derk99

Do you have a source you can reference/provide?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AC SE
Isn't priority built into the code bar on the baggage tag anyway?
Dolphin2, mmontano73 and mromalley like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by songsc
Also may I ask what’s your iteniery? Asking because some baggage handlers claims that they remove tags from “non qualifying” bags, and they think they know the rules. Happened to me once on a J to Y iteniery at YVR.
Too funny. This has been a challenge with AV at times, with some baggage handlers or other staff down actually ripping of priority tags if pax are not flying the J...not realizing its a Star Gold perk. For some smaller airports, its not a big deal, but arriving in BOG it can make a big difference.

As far as AC goes...the rumour is that everything will be determined from the bag tag bar codes and yes, priority tags will be phased out, but it is not imminent from what I was told twice just last week. Heck, my missing bags due to the YVR baggage handlers and the new standby tag (or lack thereof) system prove that bar codes do not magically make things happen the way they should.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jasdou
It is, but many smaller airports still require baggage handlers to manually identify which bags are priority and which ones are not, so the visible orange tag is still useful.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: *G
It's a while since this has happened to me. The first time, the bag came out late as the OP's did and the priority tag had been neatly cut off - definitely not a mangled situation. My suspicion at the time was similar -removed as an excuse for late delivery.

But then it happened on one of those cases travelling on points from a non status passenger. Since the priority is in fact built into the tag bar code, the agent said that even if she put the tag on, it would be removed in the Baggage room - and it was. At the time, I marvelled that AC would not only make it difficult to have one's own status recognized, but would actually go out of their way to make sure of it.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou
That's what I thought/think too. Then why even have the priority tags in the first place? Easier to spot? Ego?
Anyway, it's almost moot at YYZ given that priority baggage comes out middle to last more often than not.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Twice I've traveled with a non-status pax in Y, and the bags were all given priority tags, but checked under our individual names. In both cases, my bag(s) came out in the first batch, priority tag intact, and my friend's came out in the last batch, with the priority tag having been ripped off.

OP's profile says E35K, which is not eligible for priority tags. Were you in J? If not, regardless of whether the physical tag were applied, you wouldn't be eligible, so it would not surprise me to have them ripped off at some point, and for them to be treated as non-priority.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

It was also curious that both bar codes had large green or red felt pen streaks through them. I'm not sure of the significance, or if this would interfere with the reading of the bar code.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
OP's profile says E35K, which is not eligible for priority tags.
Oh. Just noticed that. I get free bags @ 32 kg but no priority any more. Another enhancement, I guess.

This was an AE ticket booked on Mrs. Sopwith's account. At OLCI it wouldn't take my AE number so forced me to pay US$80.00 for the bags. Do I have any recourse?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.