Search

Same Day Stand-By Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Same Day Stand-By Question

Hi All,

I am flying YYZ-YEG on Feb 14 (AC169) departing at ~1400h. I just received an email this morning confirming my eupgrade request. I am traveling on a Comfort Fare (i forget which fare bucket). Anyways. My morning in YYZ has opened up and I will likely be able to take the 1245 fight (which is a 767 widebody) and is currently J9/R9.

On a comfort fare I can airport standby at for no charge. Will they move me to AC167 at the airport and if they do will they be able to move my upgrade? (obviously pending space)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by danapop
Hi All,

I am flying YYZ-YEG on Feb 14 (AC169) departing at ~1400h. I just received an email this morning confirming my eupgrade request. I am traveling on a Comfort Fare (i forget which fare bucket). Anyways. My morning in YYZ has opened up and I will likely be able to take the 1245 fight (which is a 767 widebody) and is currently J9/R9.

On a comfort fare I can airport standby at for no charge. Will they move me to AC167 at the airport and if they do will they be able to move my upgrade? (obviously pending space)
According to the SDC thread from yesterday, you are not guaranteed your upgraded J if you SDC.

Air Canada SDC
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
This would be a same day standby as opposed to a confirmed change. Which is really confusing because I dont know the material difference other than one is free one is $75
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
The swap to J on the earlier flight won't be guaranteed, but it's well worth asking.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This would be a same day standby as opposed to a confirmed change. Which is really confusing because I dont know the material difference other than one is free one is $75
Yesterday's SDC thread talks only about SDC.
SDC can only be done at the airport.

The change fee is applied when not at the airport in person to do the SDC, and can be done anytime before the departure date as well.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I did this yesterday YVR-YYC. Same day standby. Was confirmed eUp J on original flight. Earlier flight was J7, R7. Gate agent said wasn’t guaranteed to keep my J seat but “you’ll be fine, there’s lots of room” and that the GA would confirm me.

My standby BP showed J but I’m not sure that really meant anything?

It was fine and I did get my seat.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
SDC is confirmed. As soon as you make the change, you are fully booked on the new flight. This could be done nearly 24 hours in advance - same operational day.

With standby, you're waiting until usually quite close to boarding time to find out whether or not you can get on the earlier flight.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With standby, you're waiting until usually quite close to boarding time to find out whether or not you can get on the earlier flight.
Is there a way to stipulate you only want to move if there is J space available? Or are you stuck in Y if that's all they have?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marchelli
Is there a way to stipulate you only want to move if there is J space available? Or are you stuck in Y if that's all they have?
I don't leave the lounge unless the app says I've cleared into J.

That has caused me issues though, so I wouldn't recommend that strategy.

For flights longer than an hour or two, I find GAs are generally sensible and assume an SE in full J doesn't want to fly Y for 5.5 hours just to get there 2 hours early.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I find GAs are generally sensible and assume an SE in full J doesn't want to fly Y for 5.5 hours just to get there 2 hours early.
You know what happens when you assume...

Also note this discussion is about upgraded seats, not full (or even discount) J fares.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Also note this discussion is about upgraded seats, not full (or even discount) J fares.
I should have mentioned that I'm on an upgraded ticket. I'm weighing the options between being in the MLL for 5 hours or standby for a flight that is currently J1 that would get me in 4 hours earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.