Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada OTP Getting Worse?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Air Canada pretending that winter flying is exactly the same as summer flying (while at the same time chastising passengers for not knowing that winter flying is completely different than summer flying) is hardly rational.
Well, almost. For example, on YYZ/YOW flights they add an extra 20 minutes or so in the winter to the flight time to account for de-icing. Sounds good right?

Unfortunately this extra 20 minutes comes right out of the time they need to turn the aircraft around, especially in YOW where the majority of the planes are going straight back to YYZ. Do you think they can unload, groom, reload and depart an E190 in about 30 minutes in YOW in the winter? Of course not, hence the OTP starts to approach zero on those flights between November and March.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Weather is not an excuse! Alaska is also pretty cold and snowy in winter, yet Alaska Airlines manages an OTP that's significantly better than that of AC. In fact, they crush AC year after year.

Same for SAS ... Malmo, the most southerly city in Sweden, is located farther north than Edmonton. Yet in spite of their proximity to the Arctic circle and long, cold winters, Sweden's airline manages a vastly better OTP than AC. Oh hell, even Siberian Airlines manages an OTP in the 80% range, despite Siberia being a heck of a lot colder than YUL and YYZ in winter and operating through winter conditions over a much longer proportion of the year.

Weather has bugger all to do with it. AC's pathetic, world's-worst OTP is the result of crappy management and crappy execution by Air Canada staff. Enough of the weather excuses, they simply don't stand up to scrutiny.
eigenvector likes this.

Last edited by Symmetre; Feb 10, 2019 at 6:38 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Weather is not an excuse! Alaska is also pretty cold and snowy in winter, yet Alaska Airlines manages an OTP that's significantly better than that of AC.

Same for SAS ... Malmo, the most southerly city in Sweden, is located farther north than Edmonton.
While I agree with your general rationale, I must comment upon your given examples. Alaska Airlines may have originated in its namesake state, but so much of their flying occurs in much warmer climes. Its presence is massively greater in California and the Pacific Northwest; it operates as many flights to Hawaii as Alaska. Malmo might indeed be further north than Edmonton, but London is also further north than Moosonee...higher latitudes do not directly correlate to winter weather.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just 2 of a few I've looked at, so far, these are the worst ones
Also running late right now, AC 7, 31, 3, 15, 56, 120, 118 ,126

Is it weather, YVR baggage, blocked lavs, missing pax, global warming, shortage of gates or GAs, ATC....

Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by 24left

Is it weather, YVR baggage, blocked lavs, missing pax, global warming, shortage of gates or GAs, ATC....
The list of flight numbers might not tell the story. Many of these may be the same plane; a late departure from Asia/Dubai will naturally lead to a late departure of the same widebody continuing between YYZ & YVR (or vice-versa) as many of these flights do.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:43 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The list of flight numbers might not tell the story. Many of these may be the same plane; a late departure from Asia/Dubai will naturally lead to a late departure of the same widebody continuing between YYZ & YVR (or vice-versa) as many of these flights do.
Originally Posted by 24left

more baggage problems at YVR US departures today.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
The list of flight numbers might not tell the story. .....
Maybe not

.....Many of these may be the same plane; a late departure from Asia/Dubai will naturally lead to a late departure of the same widebody continuing between YYZ & YVR (or vice-versa) as many of these flights do.
Maybe

Still, the point many of us are trying to make is OTP is not.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

From OAG.com

Delta, with major hubs in MSP and DTW (which get similar weather to YYZ and YUL) achieves substantially better OTP than AC. Ditto for UA with its main hubs in ORD, DEN and EWR, three of the most weather delay-prone airports in the world.

Aeroflot and Air SIberia achieve substantially better OTP than AC too, while coping with a similar climate. So does Westjet, flying out of most of the same airports and under the same weather conditions as AC.

Apologists can apologize all they want. The facts are clear. Weather is simply not an excuse for AC's substandard OTP.

mellon likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:39 am

As an aside, interesting that WestJet is still deemed 'low cost'. With multiple fare categories, aircraft types, cabin offerings and two sub-brands, at which point do they lose that designation?

Part of WS' superior OTP may lie with their ground handling contracts. At my local airport, they switched last year from Swissport to ATS and the improvements in service delivery from airline and airport perspectives were noticeable. Air Canada handles its own fleet, and there are inherent (perhaps stereotypical) challenges with a comfortably-ensconced internal staff.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Member

Apologists can apologize all they want. The facts are clear. Weather is simply not an excuse for AC's substandard OTP.
Well... actually, it is an excuse.

It's just not a legitamte one.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Well... actually, it is an excuse.

It's just not a legitamte one.
incompetence? might be a legitimate one?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
From OAG.com

Delta, with major hubs in MSP and DTW (which get similar weather to YYZ and YUL) achieves substantially better OTP than AC. Ditto for UA with its main hubs in ORD, DEN and EWR, three of the most weather delay-prone airports in the world.

Aeroflot and Air SIberia achieve substantially better OTP than AC too, while coping with a similar climate. So does Westjet, flying out of most of the same airports and under the same weather conditions as AC.

Awaiting the 2* OTP airline stickers and announcement....
I think 66 is old, mainline was 54 in January....
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:56 pm

Air Canada will never improve their OTP if they insist upon 12-hour diversions. I understand YVR-YYJ technically cross (a portion of) the Pacific, but diverting those flights across the remainder of the ocean to Seoul seems a bit unnecessary:

Nitehawk and Orcair like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:10 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Oops!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Awaiting the 2* OTP airline stickers and announcement....
I think 66 is old, mainline was 54 in January....
You are absolutely correct. I pulled that from an annual ranking, which is based on the previous year's full-year performance because it seemed a fairer representation.

In January, AC's mainline ranking was down to 54. Hence the thread title ... I wonder how much longer till it's under 50?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.