Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Standby upgrade does not show up with increased status Aeroplan miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

A few days ago, I went from YOW to YYZ, on a H fare ticket, which was upgraded by the Rapidair agent, after being put on the standby upgrade list. I had the same type of upgrade a couple of months ago.

In both cases, my original mileage appeared on my Aeroplan statement (eg 375 miles), rather than the more appropriate figure (500 miles for the flight 2 months ago, and 625 miles for the flight a couple of days ago).

What is the Rapidair (gate) agent not doing correctly, to reflect my upgrade status - therefore, I am not getting this increased number of Aeroplan status miles to be put into my Aeroplan account.

What should I do differently in the future, so that the full miles are credited, for a standby upgrade?
Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:42 pm

all the agent does is edit your record that you want an upgrade there is only one way to do it. So I am thinking that maybe you get more points now for H class than before.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 10:05 pm

I believe the agent just changed your seat assignment in the business cabin rather than rebooking you into C class.

Next time, perhaps ask the agent nicely whether you were rebooked into C class?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 12:30 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

The gate computers are limited in functions. Agents can't put you in 'C' class for last minute upgrades. Either book you in J or just change your seat assignment to J. You just need to send your BP in or call them up to fix it.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:50 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Are you saying that, by getting an u/g to J, you are eligible for the 25% Class of Service bonus?

I've been u/g'ing for years and never knew about this...
Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:18 pm

Braindrain welcome to FT

The rules just changed last month. You should have received an insert in your statement for May that outlines the new accumulation levels. C class, which upgrades are booked in, now receive a 125% miles for domestic flights only. All other flights get no bonus for C class, just 100% miles.

Yep, it can make it very confusing for sure.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 3:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
We used to get C class miles for ALL flights domestic, transborder or international upgraded 2 years ago and before (ie 125%). That changed last year to 100% (still better than 50 or 75% on domestic routes) but then they had a change of heart and now are giving 125% again (but as cattle says, only on domestic flights).

I seldom have problems with this. I regularly standby on H fare for upgrade (and did so just last week) and still get miles posted properly. Look for ML*2 on the bottom of the small portion of the Air Canada style boarding pass.

You might not get it automatically if you are being checked in by United at places like Phoenix, Hong Kong etc.

------------------

BlondeBomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2003
BlondeBomber's Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels (1 MB!)
BlondeBomber's Starwood Hotel Levels

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 06-24-2003).]
Old Jun 24, 2003, 5:54 pm

Am I correct in my understanding that if I upgrade suing a cert., I am to receive the mileage of the upgraded class? A few months ago, AC told me it was to be enough of a privilege to have been upgraded & that the difference in mileage would not be awarded.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 6:15 pm

You are correct - if you are upgraded, you are supposed to receive the miles for 'C' class. (125% of actual miles on domestic flights and 100% on domestic/international flights)

Was it an international/transborder flight you were on? If so, then it doesn't make a difference since all the international/transborder revenue booking classes earn 100% if you're not booked in 'J'.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Blondebomber:

I am confused by what you and Empress are saying. Empress stated that the gate agent's computers do not have the capability to "upgrade" the booking code on a standby basis to "C". You are implying that they do have that capability?

FlyerGoldII
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:34 pm

What BB is saying - if you get ML*2 on your boarding pass, that means the agent has put you into 'J' booking class which will net you 150% on domestic flights and 125% on international/transborder flights.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:17 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Great news! Thanks! I'll be checking my posted miles a little closer now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.