Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada would study Airbus, Boeing for transatlantic narrowbody needs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1P82FT

MONTREAL (Reuters) - Air Canada is interested in further developing the use of narrowbody aircraft to serve the transatlantic market and would look at both Airbus and Boeing models, a senior executive said.

Mark Galardo, vice-president of network planning at the Canadian national carrier, said in answer to a question that the group would study options including the Airbus A321XLR and the Boeing 737 MAX.

However, he told a media briefing it was “premature” to discuss whether Air Canada might order the Airbus A321XLR, a potential future expansion of the Airbus portfolio that sources say the planemaker may launch by the middle of this year.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Dear AC,

Please make sure Airbus puts more than one lav in your new aircraft, should you choose to purchase them.

BR,
WTME
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:13 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1P82FT

MONTREAL (Reuters) - Air Canada is interested in further developing the use of narrowbody aircraft to serve the transatlantic market and would look at both Airbus and Boeing models, a senior executive said.

Mark Galardo, vice-president of network planning at the Canadian national carrier, said in answer to a question that the group would study options including the Airbus A321XLR and the Boeing 737 MAX.

However, he told a media briefing it was “premature” to discuss whether Air Canada might order the Airbus A321XLR, a potential future expansion of the Airbus portfolio that sources say the planemaker may launch by the middle of this year.
This could be why AC pushed back the 737-9MAX delivery.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:15 pm

Interesting. So they will sold as O and Y cabins since I doubt they would put in the pods.

Or worse - they go to Rouge...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by tcook052
Air Canada ....would look at both Airbus and Boeing models, a senior executive said.
Is there anyone else who could make a commercial aircraft with transatlantic range suitable for AC's operations???
ffsim, canadiancow and Fiordland like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:20 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Interesting. So they will sold as O and Y cabins since I doubt they would put in the pods.

That's works for me on the return fly's to Canada, but no overnight flights for me unless I have a pod.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Is there anyone else who could make a commercial aircraft with transatlantic range suitable for AC's operations???
Well, now that Airbus has bought the C-Series from Bombardier, and Boeing has bought a substantial share of Embraer...not really, no.

I mean, I guess AC could throw us all a curveball and order a bunch of Tupolev Tu-204s, Irkut MC-21s, or Comac C919s, but somehow I don't see that happening. IDK, I'm sure I could end up proven wrong, lol.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I think you're missing the subtle but public point being made, which is AC telling the OEMs (Boeing more than Airbus, IMHO) to get off its corporate butt and make a public ATO for the NMA. The industry was expecting the NMA (what some call the 797) ATO to happen in Q4-2018 and still nothing. Future fleet planning is quite a bit easier when operators know what OEMs have in the pipe and availability. More has been whispered about the A321XLR than the NMA.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
And to think that I celebrated the impending end of TATL narrowbody travel when the 757 started to disappear.
pitz likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by eigenvector
And to think that I celebrated the impending end of TATL narrowbody travel when the 757 started to disappear.
Hah, das lange Elend (the long misery)! I guess the appellation is true in more ways than one. 😂

I think long-haul flights in a narrowbody can be made to not suck, it's just a question of whether or not the route economics permit them to, and whether or not the airlines want them to.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:36 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by shadowspar
...I think long-haul flights in a narrowbody can be made to not suck...
For one approach, see this (possibly) related thread: too many drinks in J?
shadowspar, windscar and James91 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Probably safe on those ones though...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
TATL travel in a 17/30 seat sucks regardless of the aircraft. And there is no reason why would be a TATL trip in J aboard of an A321XLR equipped with proper lie flat seats worse than a trip in a widebody equipped with a similar seat.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
TATL travel in a 17/30 seat sucks regardless of the aircraft. And there is no reason why would be a TATL trip in J aboard of an A321XLR equipped with proper lie flat seats worse than a trip in a widebody equipped with a similar seat.
Is there reason to believe that a future A321XLR operated by AC would be equipped with lie-flat seats?

They seem perfectly fine to fly a Y/PY product over the ocean with the 7M8.

Premium routes like YYZ-LHR will have the demand to continue commanding multiple widebodies per day, but new, currently uneconomical or marginal routes that might be served by an A321XLR may not justify a true international J product.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Is there reason to believe that a future A321XLR operated by AC would be equipped with lie-flat seats?

They seem perfectly fine to fly a Y/PY product over the ocean with the 7M8.

Premium routes like YYZ-LHR will have the demand to continue commanding multiple widebodies per day, but new, currently uneconomical or marginal routes that might be served by an A321XLR may not justify a true international J product.
I believe, there is. The 7M8 was not ordered to fly TATL routes. It was ordered as an A320 replacement and as such, it is equipped with domestic J seats only. The TATL range of the 7M8 is just a welcome side effect of its improved fuel efficiency. However, the A321XLR would be ordered specifically for thin TATL routes. Installing lie flat seats in them would make perfect sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.