too many drinks in J?

Old Jan 13, 19, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude SE, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
too many drinks in J?

Hey guys

What are your thoughts on the acceptable number of drinks you should receive in J? Obviously if somebody is super intoxicated the FA should stop serving, but I've found such a huge variance in the number of drinks served to me in J. I normally don't drink in the lounge if I'm sitting in Y, as I don't buy drinks. But if I know I'm in J I'll have a couple in the lounge then board. I never am drunk nor have been refused drinks if I ask. Sometimes you can see the hesitation in the FA when I ask for another one. I just feel that especially with long haul J, I want to have a few drinks in a short period of time to get a little buzz then go to sleep. Part of the reason I pay for J is to be able to enjoy the free drinks. My dad relates stories to me of Ward Air back in the day when they had 26ers on the carts and would free pour until you were completely blitzed. I'm a big guy, 6'5" 240, and while I don't drink very often I can certainly polish off 5-6 drinks and not be that intoxicated. If I really wanted to get blitzed before the flight I would just get loaded in the AC lounge, thats not really what I'm wanting to do. Just flew YVR-YZF in J and only got 2 drinks for the 2.2 hour flight, the FA said "we're landing soon, sir", yet we still had 35 min to go.

Sorry if there has been another thread about this, I searched for it but couldn't find one
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes the question as to whether you plan to drive upon arrival does play a role. I have had SDs telling me, oh, you don't plan to drive, then sure it's OK.
5mm likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
35 minutes before landing is fairly typical for them closing the bar.

Is the issue that they weren't offering every 20 minutes, or that they were refusing when you asked?

On my most recent flight, I went up to the galley, ordered a drink, the SD made a comment that I'd had a few, but I seemed fine, so had no issue giving me another.

They certainly aren't bringing the cart down the aisle every 20 minutes though, if that's what you expect.
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:05 pm

I want to have a few drinks in a short period of time to get a little buzz then go to sleep.
Indeed. Should the FA just tilt your head when you start snoring or vomiting?

Part of the reason I pay for J is to be able to enjoy the free drinks.
LOL. Then it aint free because you did pay. The airline calculated the cost of drinking in its pricing. You can drink my share too.

I have never had an AC FA hesitate when offering me alcohol. Perhaps it's due to the fact that they can't get rid of some of the vile swill served or maybe it's my sharp decorum. No girlie drinks for me like rum and coke or vodka and juice. No sireee Bob, it's Vodka with a twist now, cuz that's what real men drink and also it isn't supposed to cause a hangover like the sugary other types do. I can do awesome puppy dog eyes to get a double too.

The only time I have seen the FA hesitate is when the Pax is wobbly. Honestly though, no one drinks as much as they used to, especially younger people, so the FAs aren't as tough as they used to be. (We're watching our figures don't you know, and spanx can't fix a floppy gut.)
Here's a trick: After meal service on long hauls, the FAs switch up, so rotate your requests between FAs. They are easily confused in the dark cabins.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
@canadiancow has posted about drinks before.
1 drink per hour

At 35 minutes before landing, a dose of "magical sleeping juice" is a bit past the time of need. The point is not whether there is time to serve it; the point is "seriously? you can't go without alcohol for less than an hour?"

The proactive counterargument was that it's getting one's money's worth from a J fare. You cannot possibly drink enough alcohol to make the difference in fares, so come on.

Times have changed since the era of WardAir and proactively getting "blitzed". You only need to read FT "worst passenger of the week" column to see where their thinking may be going. Maybe from the perspective of the FA, "polishing off 5-6 drinks" looks a little less like "not that intoxicated" and more like "that case study in the online learning module from last week", especially if it comes in a 6'5" 240lb container.

I am quite happy to absorb some of their bar inventory myself, and don't even draw the line at plonk, but I tend to think that alcohol consumption becomes problematic as soon as acquiring the "acceptable number of drinks" becomes an objective.

Just my 2c.
D404 and Resonant Programmer like this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
[MENTION=599574]At 35 minutes before landing, a dose of "magical sleeping juice" is a bit past the time of need. The point is not whether there is time to serve it; the point is "seriously? you can't go without alcohol for less than an hour?"
I view it slightly differently. It should be: What is the reasonable justification for refusing this customer a drink? If the bar is still open, it isnít for the FA to make a moral or values based judgement on whether a pax should be able to manage for an hour without a drink.

But then I mainly fly BA, and there are still enough old school cabin crew around who view it as a challenge seeing how much champagne and G&T they can pour into their customers 😀.
lallied and quantumofforce like this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
No girlie drinks for me like rum and coke or vodka and juice. No sireee Bob, it's Vodka with a twist now, cuz that's what real men drink and also it isn't supposed to cause a hangover like the sugary other types do. I can do awesome puppy dog eyes to get a double too.
Actually, real men drink whatever the duck they want to drink because they don't give a shirt what others think about the drink in their hands.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:21 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Iíve certainly seen pax attempt to consume enough champagne to make up the difference in fare. And given one of them happily snoring away at what was clearly daytime hours as local departure and arrival time it worked. For me it wouldnít work.

But Iíve not seen AC reject a reasonable request. And that includes a friend having three glasses of JD lined up 30 mins after take off. I just donít think 35 mins from landing is that reasonable a request given even on short flights itís somewhat close to when they start demanding everyone gets ready for landing. Including collecting glasses and plastic trash.

If landing is in 35 mins, that only really gives you 15-20 mins max to finish the drink. And yes Iím aware thatís more than sufficient time for many.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:26 am

Programs: AC E35K/*S, DL WM
Originally Posted by sneakysix View Post
Sometimes you can see the hesitation in the FA when I ask for another one.
IMHO, if there's any doubt in the FA's mind whether or not they should pour someone another drink, that pax has already had enough.

Cabin crew have a positive responsibility to provide attentive service (insofar as their other duties allow). They don't have a positive obligation to serve anyone alcohol, for the liability and safety reasons previously enumerated.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
There isn't an "acceptable number." No two people are alike and everyone reacts to alcohol differently and the effects are influenced by sex, weight, age and other factors. Setting an arbitrary limit means it will have to account for the least tolerant of alcohol among us. No thanks. I'll leave it to the good judgement of the cabin crew to decide whether a passenger has reached his/her limit. I would support a shutdown of serving one hour before landing.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cabin crew, just like servers at restaurants and bars have to make observations about the individual. While quantity and time to destination are certainly factors, on an aircraft it is not as simple as kicking some lout out of the bar.

This is an affirmative duty of crew and if there is any doubt, it is not to serve. Statements about how many drinks a passenger has had are simply meant to lessen the chances of a confrontation.
Old Jan 14, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sneakysix View Post
Hey guys

What are your thoughts on the acceptable number of drinks you should receive in J? Obviously if somebody is super intoxicated the FA should stop serving
FTFY.

Obviously, if somebody is intoxicated the FA should stop serving. If somebody is super intoxicated, they should have stopped service many drinks earlier.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shadowspar View Post
IMHO, if there's any doubt in the FA's mind whether or not they should pour someone another drink, that pax has already had enough.
Then I guess 3 drinks is a reasonable limit for any North American flight, since I've certainly had that quoted to me by AC crew.

Search this Thread